east hitchcock 7/28/13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryan

Reaction score
date: 7/28/13

trails: hancock notch trail, cedar brook trail, bushwack

conditions: hancock notch trail was dry and in good shape with relatively minimal mud in the usual places. some nice footbed work has been done at the start of cedar brook trail on its initial climb and overall the trail didn't seem nearly as muddy or wet as it has been in the recent past. i followed the trail to the wilderness boundary at the height of land and started my bushwack to east hitchcock from there picking up the south ridge of the mountain and following it to the summit. woods were scrappy most of the way with some thick sections of fir and spruce. a couple sags were a bit swampy as well. the summit ridge was actually pretty nice. relatively open and interesting woods. some glimpses to the hancock were available with a bit of poking around. went down a bit more direct on the descent with some good going to start then more of the same fir and spruce i found on the way up. the water crossings on hancock notch and cedar brook trails were not a problem today.

equipment: nothing in particular.

comments: today seemed as good as any to take a shot at the final hitchcock summit i had dangling out there. overall the going off trail was decent and as stated above the area around and south of the summit was actually pretty nice. found one good view up to north hancock a bit south of the highpoint. a brief light rain on top then sunny again for the hike out. also nice to get in a quick mid season partrol of the lower portion of hancock notch trail. great to be out.

bryan

[email protected]