Large Map Of White Moutains

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
Has anyone come across a poster or similar sized map of the White Mountains that has all the trails and mountains on a single sheet of paper? Finished the 48 last week and was thinking of getting a large map and highlighting all the routes I take. Was contemplating starting a "red-lining campaign" so it would be useful for that too. Most of the guide book and other maps as you know are multiple maps that overlap and are printed on two sides, which would make this a cumbersome project.

If anyone has see such a map I would love to know where I can purchase. Thanks.

I have the perfect map ... DeLorme's "Trail Map & Guide to the White Mountain National Forest" ... and use it just the way you describe. Unfortunately, it dates back to 1992 and I don't know if they publish it anymore. You might look into the National Geographic White Mountains map, too. They have an excellent series which I've used in National Parks etc. around the country.

Be careful piecing together maps as they must be the same scale. I undertook that project, when no suitable alternative existed, for an area the size of Rhode Island in which Maine's "Hundred Mile Wilderness" is situated. I copied pages out of DeLorme Gazateer and neatly taped them together. When I approached DeLorme and described what I needed they said they could reproduce their maps to include any area at any reasonable size ... for a price.

Be careful, though. Despite the digital age and often with the support of its technology, there are some who succumb to this disease called mapaholicism.

what Stan said.

I also have the map and use it. It's gotten kinda torn over time. I had no idea they don't publish it anymore (if true).

Ditto on Delormes. It covers the major area. The fringes are missing, especially the western whites. It's a good map for planning.

The white mountain national forest still publishes a map. AMC has amp of the overall whites. I have it in the pack so I am covered with having a map.

I like the AMC map best as its got the latest trails from Larry's Database. Unless Delorme has revised the map, it was lagging on accuracy for a few years.

The map included in the White Mountains Map Book from Map Adventures is what you're looking for. It's an excellent map and I've used it many times to get "the big picture" when planning trips. Just pay close attention to the elevation scales used ...

EDIT: I just discovered a new edition of the map is available on its own: White Mountains Waterproof Trail Map

Last edited:
Waiting on a copy of the AMC map in the mail but if it doesn't fit the bill I'll check out the other ideas. I love the idea of a 5x8 map mentioned by Tom. I am a bit of a map junky. Thanks.