Croydon Mountain: how do you bag this one?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summitseeker

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been playing around on peakbagger.com and charting out all my ascents. (For those of you who have never checked it out, it is an amazing free resource that will track all of your ascents, chart them in chronological order, and show you the "lists" you are checking off.)

While looking at the New Hampshire County Prominence Peaks List I noticed Croydon Mountain.

A little research quickly determined that this was within a private game preserve and that there would be a fee to enter.

Does anyone have any advice or words of wisdom on this peak?

I would rather not pay $50 to a game preserve but the idea of being shot at is not appealing. ;)

Thanks,

Z :D

Ok, I know...how lame is it to reply to your own Q&A post, but I just found this in the archives...

The Blue Mountain Forest Association is required to allow access to the general public at least once a year. I believe that they charge the $50 fee per person to discourage people from making too many requests. But, I felt that the $50 was well worth my visit a couple of years ago, so as organizer of the NH2005 HP Konvention, I encouraged folks to sign up for the trip organized by a county highpointer (there are over 3000 of those points across the U.S.; Croydon is the HP of Sullivan County) for the Friday of Labor Day weekend; 17 people paid their $50. Not only were the wild boar really cool to observe, but the club house contains some incredible photo history, as the preserve was one of the centers where buffalo were bred for re-establishment of the western herds in the early 1900s. The association hardly needs the cash, as it costs over $1 million to join, and the waiting list is many years long, as membership is usually passed down within the 31 families that make up the association, the maximum number allowed. A friend remembers a few years ago that boar commonly escaped, raising havoc in the local gardens of Grantham. My observation hiking up the ridge to the summit fire tower, which is still occupied for six months each year, was churned up soil much like one would see in someone's garden during the spring, which indeed happens each night by these foor-footed rototillers in their search for grubs.

New Question: Does anyone want to do this one? It will take some organization and money but I am hoping that enough hikers could form a group large enough to negotiate the $50 a head fee. I read that this has occurred before...

Croydon has been on my short list for years.

I'm in for a definite 2 people *depending on date

I've thought about something like this just for the chance to maybe see one of the elk that are in the reserve. I always look when on the ATV trail that runs along part of their fencing, but have yet to see anything inside.

Funny. I was reading up on this the other day. Sometimes, I hike/paddle by Google Earth. I open up the map to see what's close by and voila! there's an awesome looking pair of mountains containing the Croydon Mountain game preserve. Looked like an awesome hike until I started doing my homework and found what you did.

That said, if you put a group together, I'm in for $50.

Read up on the preserve, though. VERY exclusive membership.

Funny. I was reading up on this the other day. Sometimes, I hike/paddle by Google Earth. I open up the map to see what's close by and voila! there's an awesome looking pair of mountains containing the Croydon Mountain game preserve. Looked like an awesome hike until I started doing my homework and found what you did.

That said, if you put a group together, I'm in for $50.

Read up on the preserve, though. VERY exclusive membership.

Hi iagreewithjamie,

I have a couple of interested parties. If you could shoot me (bad choice of words, I know) a private message with some possible dates maybe we can work out a time that works for a group hike.

I know it is ultra "exclusive" but I know they occasionally open their doors to the other 99% ;)

Z:D

Just beware - except for 2 months (July and August, I believe), there is hunting-related activity (and no hiking)

Last edited:
Thanks Becca,

That is some seriously good intel. No need to be dodging bullets :)

BTW: It was nice to finally put a face to a name (or avatar ;) ). Square Ledge was a great suggestion.

I have been playing around on peakbagger.com and charting out all my ascents. (For those of you who have never checked it out, it is an amazing free resource that will track all of your ascents, chart them in chronological order, and show you the "lists" you are checking off.)
I prefer listsofjohn.com, Peakbagger suffers from too many missing peaks and also bogus peaks that people include to up their numbers
New Question: Does anyone want to do this one? It will take some organization and money but I am hoping that enough hikers could form a group large enough to negotiate the $50 a head fee. I read that this has occurred before...
Too bad you didn't ask earlier as there were already 3 groups this summer. I doubt they will reduce the fee, in fact a larger group than will fit in a pickup is more trouble for them
I've thought about something like this just for the chance to maybe see one of the elk that are in the reserve. I always look when on the ATV trail that runs along part of their fencing, but have yet to see anything inside.
Go to the W fence mid-Sept and you can hear the elk bugling
Just beware - except for 2 months (July and August, I believe), there is hunting-related activity (and no hiking)
Their hunting season starts mid-Sept so it would have to be before then, and probably also a weekday so as not to disturb the members

The long-time manager retires this year, access could be better or worse under a new one

Me and my friend Chris are very interested in doing this County high point. We're in if there's a group organizing.

Me and my friend Chris are very interested in doing this County high point. We're in if there's a group organizing.
Hi cchikes,

Thanks for expressing interest in this hike. Please send a private message and we can work out the details if things start to progress...

I spoke with a few members of Views and a friend who knows a member of the game preserve. Considering that the preserve has already let a few groups in this season, and the onset of hunting season in September, it is unlikely that we will be granted access. I have drafted a rather flattering letter to the association and will mail it out before I leave town.

Hopefully they will allow one more group before the hunting begins.

Keep your fingers crossed.

I have been in to Corbin Park to hike Croydon twice. There is no way around the $50 fee. I know a number of other people that have hiked it, and almost everyone agrees that it is worth the fee. They will drive you from the park entrance to the high trailhead. If you want to traverse over Grantham Mtn (or other nearby peaks) as well, they will pick you up on the other side. You also get a tour of the park and the caretaker does a nice job of explaining the history of the area and getting you a look at some of the wildlife in the park. You'll see plenty of wild boar and possibly some elk down near the main lodge. You probably won't run into any wildlife (or hunters) up on the ridge. They won't allow hikers and members on the property at the same time, so no need to worry about getting shot. Enjoy your trip!