VT 4k suggestions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1SlowHiker

Reaction score
I've now done all but the 3 baxter state park maine 4ks, and am going to try and bag a few VT peaks before doing those in early Sept. I'm hoping to do Abraham and Ellen as an in and out (12 miles) early next week and Camel Hump 1-2 weeks later. I havent done any VT hikes yet so could use some suggestions; best trails, nearby campgrounds, anything unique about VT trails, trailheads, rules etc. Thanks

Camel's Hump up Burrow's, across the LT and down Forest City is a great loop. Burrow's Trail is moderate climb most of the way but easily doable in 1 1/2 -2 hrs. Most of the LT is nice, some ledgy scrambles that are slick when wet. I prefer the loop as stated rather than reverse. Seems to be much more elevation gain doing the reverse direction. S descent off the cone looks intimidating but really not that bad. Great viewing from the summit.

Abraham and Ellen have tried from App Gap. Incredibly deceptive. More up and down than I have experienced most anywhere. Every time I got to a view pt to see Ellen it seemed like I had made no progress. By the time I reached Ellen, realized I had another 5-6 mile RT to Abraham I called it a day and headed back. Battelle Trail to LT out and back would probably be a much better bet.

I agree, it's a LONG way from A to E!

For Mansfield, you can go from Underwood State Park from the West, or the LT from the NE near the Ski Center. I prefer the USP approach, and the views heading back West are great!

For Abraham and Ellen, we hiked in the Battell Trail, up the ridge and down the Jerusalem Trail. It was a very nice hike and avoided backtracking. You would need a car spot. We had lunch on a wooden platform at the top of one of the Sugarbush lifts with excellent views.

For Killington, if you hike up the Bucklin Trail from Brewers Corner on Wheelerville Road, which is a nice hike, you'll want to enter Wheelerville Road from the north end off of route 4, not the south end off of Notch Road. I ran on part of Wheelerville Road last weekend and saw a sign that said the road was closed about 1 mile south of Brewers Corner.

Last edited:
Mansfield has some great trails.

Consider these loops:
Underhill side: CCC Road>Maple Ridge>Canyon>Canyon North>Canyon Ext.>Subway>LT>Summit>Sunset Ridge; or a slightly shorter variant: Laura Cowles>Summit>Subway>Canyon Ext.>Canyon North>Canyon>Halfway House>CCC Road.

Stowe side: Hellbrook>LT>Summit>Profanity>LT (requires a short roadwalk from the LT trailhead to the Hellbrook trailhead, or a brief hitch); or Hellbrook>LT>Cliff Trail> Haselton.

I can't recommend the ski trail approach I did on Killington in June for the aesthetics of the local views, but on a clear day the views to the Whites and north to fellow 4Ks are superb if you ascend near the K-1 beeline ski lift. I enjoyed looking over to increasing views, with the climb, of Moosilauke, Franconia Ridge and, at the limit of view on my day, Washington, among other Whites. Above 3500' or so the views north up the spine of the Greens were very nice, too.

If you opt for a less disturbed, man-managed hike via the A.T. corridor, or, as with most, via Bucklin, I'd say the short side trip, 0.3 round trip, to the K-1 gondola area is worthwhile, as you get excellent SE and due south views. Nice looks at Ascutney, Monadnock and Okemo/Ludlow and cleaner views of Stratton and Mt. Snow.

The views to the Adirondacks from the summit are extraordinary. I've hiked Pico, which also has fine views, and a trip combining it, just short of 4K at 3960' or so, with K, from the Long Trail Inn and back, would make for a fun combination.

Last edited:
Don't leave any valuables in your car.

Don't leave any valuables in your car.
Is there a specific trailhead you had in mind?

While this is generally a good suggestion, the incidents of trailhead thefts are rare, (Almost 0 in the Catskills, 'knock on spruce':D ), and localized to specific places. Usually, the teenagers responsible are quickly caught, and it's back to normal.

Many years ago we hiked Killington from the south over Shrewsbury Peak. I remember that being a nice, and fairly quiet route.

If you don't have much time, Abraham is quick and easy from Lincoln Gap. And it's cool: It's been years, but I recall Abraham's summit as being more "peaky" and less "ridgy" than most of the Vermont summits. And of the 5 vermont 4Ks, Abraham and Camel's Hump are the two that are not developed.

Also worth taking in, although not quite 4K, are Stratton and Equinox.

Enjoy!

In regard to your question about campgrounds, there are state parks on either side of Mansfield, Smuggler's Notch State Park on the East and Underhill State Park on the West.

Further to my earlier suggestions, the Hellbrook>LT>Summit>Cliff Trail>Haselton is not terribly long, but the climb up Hellbrook is steep and strenuous. Many people might not be comfortable with the slippery rocks if it is wet. Most people only hike the Cliff Trail from its northern terminus on the LT to the top of the Gondola, but the majority of the trail--and it's most interesting sections--are South of the Gondola. It does contain one or two seemingly exposed sections, but they are passable by all but the most acrophobic.

Personally, I think the most interesting route would be up from Underhill State Park: CCC Road>Maple Ridge>Forehead>LT>Canyon>Canyon North>Canyon Ext>Subway>LT>Summit>Sunset Ridge. As others may have mentioned, remember to take the Eagle Short Cut on your ascent & descent of the CCC Road. It's marked and obvious, and it dramatically shortens the way. Maple Ride is a gorgeous, less-traveled ridge with views the entire way up, but that ducks in and out of scrub and short trees. The Canyon through Subway alternative to the LT is travels through a fun series of caves, and you'll see few to no people. Sunset Ridge is much more interesting to descend than to ascend, in my opinion, as you get to continuously enjoy the views of the Lake Champlain Valley as you descend. The one caveat to this route is that it is a full day for most people, though not unusually long.

For Camel's Hump, I would recommend ascending via Forest City Trail>LT and descending by the Burrows Trail (Huntington Side), as the Burrows trail is probably a little easier to descend than that stretch of the LT, and is less interesting. Another option would be to hike from the Winooski River via the Bamforth Ridge Trail (LT). This is a long, big ascent, but there are wonderful and numerous ledges. An optional descent route would be to head South (briefly) and take the Alpine Trail back to Bamforth Ridge.

Thanks for all the great info. I'm going to start with Ab and Ellen this Sunday and sort through the rest later. Based on ( http://home.earthlink.net/~ellozy/vt-4000-footer.html#tocref2 ), I was going to start at the TH on Lincoln Gap Road and follow the LT (in and out - no car spot ) but several comments suggested the Battel trail. From the above site it looks like Battell trail may only be .2 miles longer each way but has 900' of elevation gain. For what is to be a long hike (for me) that seems a lot. Any thoughts on why I may want to take Battell vs LT from the LG Rd. Also any suggestions for campgrounds with a hot shower between my trail head and heading south on Rt 100 to Rt 98 for Sunday night.

Thanks for all the great info. I'm going to start with Ab and Ellen this Sunday and sort through the rest later. Based on ( http://home.earthlink.net/~ellozy/vt-4000-footer.html#tocref2 ), I was going to start at the TH on Lincoln Gap Road and follow the LT (in and out - no car spot ) but several comments suggested the Battel trail. From the above site it looks like Battell trail may only be .2 miles longer each way but has 900' of elevation gain. For what is to be a long hike (for me) that seems a lot. Any thoughts on why I may want to take Battell vs LT from the LG Rd.

This may be too late for you but my wife and I found the Battel trail very steep, more so than the LT. In my opinion the LT is simpler and more interesting.

ok, we did the easier way - from the East - except CH.

Mansfield. Up LT going N-S. Exit on Haselton Trail just below the Nose in woods between N & S parts of ski area to road. Took longer down than up! Did not enjoy decent after the nice ridge walk. Not especially well traveled trail. Summit was PACKED! Nice map at http://www.vtstateparks.com/htm/underhill.htm

C Hump: From the W on Burrows Trail, then N - S on LT , and exit on Forest City Trail. I'd do N-S as that steep pitch on S side of CH summit is clearly easier to navigate going UP. Nice summit - lots of people, but fewer summit heads than Mansfield. Can drive to Nose on Mansfield.
Map at: http://www.vtstateparks.com/htm/camelshump.htm

Sugarbush: up ski trail on L to Lincoln. S to Abe. U-turn and on to Ellen. Doesn't look far on map, but seemed like forever - one of those 'not another false summit' events. Couldn't find a hike map o/l, but some were available in lodge (free).
Ski map: http://www.sugarbush.com/snow-trails-conditions/interactive-ski-map Abe is to Left of Lincoln.

Killington: Up ski trail to L of lodge along to Skye Peak summit, ridge to K summit. Beware the downhill mt bikers!!! uncrowded summit. Crowd probably quit at the gondola building. The last 50 yards were the tuffest. Map: http://www.killington.com/summer/the_mountain

Last edited: