Shoal Pond Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

byron8

Reaction score
There are currently no trail adopters for Shoal Pond Trail and, having been there recently, see that it's vastly overgrown in the southern sections. I'm pretty sure the foot traffic there is arguably the lowest in the region. But just in case - are there any volunteers, either to adopt or just to go out there and brush? Mind you, it takes 8 hrs of hiking time alone just to walk the trail from Zealand Rd (18 mi rt).

FYI - I can clearly see how some might have difficulty finding the trail from Stillwater Jct. Guidebook says bear left from the brook for 120 ft, then bear right - but there are several herd paths: not the right way to go. Proceed 100 ft (not 120) and look for obscure path.

PS - It is not currently as muddy/wet as some people think - really!

There are currently no trail adopters for Shoal Pond Trail and, having been there recently, see that it's vastly overgrown in the southern sections. I'm pretty sure the foot traffic there is arguably the lowest in the region. But just in case - are there any volunteers, either to adopt or just to go out there and brush? Mind you, it takes 8 hrs of hiking time alone just to walk the trail from Zealand Rd (18 mi rt).

FYI - I can clearly see how some might have difficulty finding the trail from Stillwater Jct. Guidebook says bear left from the brook for 120 ft, then bear right - but there are several herd paths: not the right way to go. Proceed 100 ft (not 120) and look for obscure path.

PS - It is not currently as muddy/wet as some people think - really!

Good to know! This is my agenda for the fall as it seems like it would be a gorgeous time for a lowland hike. We'll probably bring some loppers to help with the overgrowth where we can.

Ooh! I'm glad you mentioned this. I don't think I have time this month, but I'm moving down to Portland at the beginning of September, and one of my goals for the coming year is to adopt a trail section. I was thinking I'd do something in Maine, but the Pemi is my favorite part of the Whites. Maybe I should look into adopting this trail. Since it's all in the wilderness, I wouldn't have to get chainsaw training, right? ;-)

Wow guys, talk about having some get-up-and-go! Truly appreciate your spirit and zeal! I would highlight the need to contact the AMC about volunteering. As an Adopter for 25+ years, and a Region Leader too, there is much to be taken into account. Here is a link, and you will notice the embedded link for an application and how to submit:

http://www.outdoors.org/conservation/trails/volunteer/adopt/adopt-orphan-trails.cfm

Crucial to this is the knowledge needed due to the fact that the standards of maintaining a trail on Federal Wilderness, are different from trails in other areas.

Hope things work out!

Crucial to this is the knowledge needed due to the fact that the standards of maintaining a trail on Federal Wilderness, are different from trails in other areas.

Thanks for following up Fisher Cat. As the AMC Carrigain Region Leader, I'm also glad to see the response. Shoal Pond Trail is actually divided into two adopter regions, and would love to have the support. I'm surprised more people don't visit this great trail in the Pemi Wilderness. Trail width is definitely narrower for wilderness regions - the southernmost 100 ft. of trail leading up to Stillwater Jct. however is -6 inches or so (that's negative 6 inches).

Thanks again!

Julie

the southernmost 100 ft. of trail leading up to Stillwater Jct. however is -6 inches or so (that's negative 6 inches).

Thanks again!

Julie[/QUOTE]

I will happily open up the last short section to Stillwater Jct. the next time I'm brushing Carrigain Notch (soon).
Alan

Thanks for following up Fisher Cat. As the AMC Carrigain Region Leader, I'm also glad to see the response. Shoal Pond Trail is actually divided into two adopter regions, and would love to have the support. I'm surprised more people don't visit this great trail in the Pemi Wilderness. Trail width is definitely narrower for wilderness regions - the southernmost 100 ft. of trail leading up to Stillwater Jct. however is -6 inches or so (that's negative 6 inches).

Thanks again!

Julie

Hey Julie,

I'm currently an adopter on the Mt. Tripyramid trail (still need to get to the North end of the loop, but the southern end is in good shape), so I'm familiar with the Wilderness maintenance guidelines. Should I reach out to you before I head out there this fall to see if more brushing is needed?

I'm currently an adopter on the Mt. Tripyramid trail (still need to get to the North end of the loop, but the southern end is in good shape), so I'm familiar with the Wilderness maintenance guidelines. Should I reach out to you before I head out there this fall to see if more brushing is needed?

Yes, that would be great if you want to check w/me then. Email is [email protected] Thanks!

Wow guys, talk about having some get-up-and-go! Truly appreciate your spirit and zeal! I would highlight the need to contact the AMC about volunteering. As an Adopter for 25+ years, and a Region Leader too, there is much to be taken into account. Here is a link, and you will notice the embedded link for an application and how to submit:

http://www.outdoors.org/conservation/trails/volunteer/adopt/adopt-orphan-trails.cfm

Hope things work out!

Sounds good to me! Thanks for the link, Fisher. I'll look into it some more once I get settled into the new place this fall.

I visited the short section of Shoal Pond Trail mentioned above (the -6" section) this weekend and broke it open. It is not brushed back to standard width, but you don't need to protect your face as you walk through anymore.