Marshall, Cliff, Redfield and ER, 8/6/13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeCedar

Reaction score
The ADK High Peaks area is great for designing new and different routes, even though surprises sometimes happen. For this hike, I started at the Loj and went up the Indian Pass trail, turned onto the (closed) trail to Iroquois Pass (aka Cold Brook Pass, on the other side), and climbed Marshall by the little-used herdpath over the bump—a very nice day in the making. Then it was down Herbert Brook to Lake Colden, actually rock-hopped the river below the dam, and on to Uphill Brook for Cliff and Redfield. The former is not one of my favorites but I tolerated the mud puddle-jumping and got the nice little view from the summit. I think Redfield has the most rocks and roots of any herdpath and it requires careful attention both up and down.

A little past the Feldspar LT before the dreaded board bridging, it happened. Actually, I don’t know exactly what happened. I was just walking along, feeling fine. I tripped, stumbled, slipped, whatever, and fell side- and head-first into the rocks on the trail. On the way down, the thought “this is bad” zipped through my mind—and it was. I had major impacts to my side and my head. Dazed, I tried to get up and quickly looked for something to sit on while I checked over my body and condition. My head, which was my greatest concern, wasn’t too bad—just a bruise above my ear and a few spots of blood. Vision and pain were OK, as well as I could judge. My side and back were painful, and I suspected I had fractured ribs (done this before, so knew what to expect). My legs and knees were uninjured—the good news--so I started walking the 6.5 miles back toward the Loj.

I walked more slowly than normal over Lake Arnold and I was not doing too badly till I stopped to get some water and take some ibuprofen. This stop, intended to help me feel better, actually made me worse. Afterward, I had trouble breathing normally and could only take shallow breaths to avoid a reflex exhalation due to the pain when my lungs expanded. I rock-hopped very carefully down toward Avalanche Camp—another fall could be very bad--and began to feel better as the ibuprofen took effect. The smoother trail from there on was a big help and on the way back to the Loj, I even passed some people :) .

At the ER I told them what had happened and the x-rays showed I did not have fractured ribs—the good news, no six weeks recovery, but I was not sure that was the final answer—just bruised ribs. The next morning I got a call that the radiologist saw evidence that I had a partially collapsed lung which was confirmed by additional x-rays. Three days later, I am doing fine and feeling much better already but I will be sidelined for a few more days.

Would I do anything differently besides being “more careful”? No. But I am very glad I have had Wilderness First Aid training to help deal with my injuries, and advise forum readers to do the same. This could happen to anyone.

Just remember--be careful out there—things happen. :)

Dang ! Glad you won't be sidelined for long.

I've always thought that for all the thousands of steps taken in the course of a hike (and the nature of the terrain we cross), it's amazing there aren't more injuries.

It pays to stay in shape! There are probably not many who could effect a similar self-rescue in the same situation. I'm curious; do you usually hike with a stick or with hiking pole(s)? Were you this time?

Sorry to hear, hope you get well soon, thanks for sharing and reminding us it can happen at any step of the way!

It pays to stay in shape! There are probably not many who could effect a similar self-rescue in the same situation. I'm curious; do you usually hike with a stick or with hiking pole(s)? Were you this time?

Each situation is different. I was lucky my legs were fine and my head remained clear. I only had to slow down and be careful walking out. Believe me, being able to inhale about 1/4 of normal volume, is a cause for concern and signal to slow down. I always take hiking poles but at the time of the fall I was carrying them in my left hand, and this is part of the explanation for the injury on my right side (right arm was probably extended to break the fall). On flat or moderately sloped terrain I carry the poles because I can go faster without them.

Hope you feel better. No long-term effects from the collapsed lung?

The pneumothorax (collapsed lung) is caused by escape of air into the chest cavity which blocks the lung from fully inflating. In my case the cause was obvious and there was no exposure to the outside (infection risk), so the usual treatment is just to let it heal on its own. Today, a week later, I still have sore ribs but that is the only symptom. I'll be back!