Wild River Wilderness

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unlikely hiker

Reaction score
I am thinking of doing several days in the Wild River area. I know about the Imp shelter and the Perkins shelter - does anyone know if there are any campsites along the Black Angel Trail? Any suggestions on what might be a good three day backpack in the area.

Moriah Brook Trail is one of my favorites, not sure what you're looking for as far as daily mileage but you could start from Wild River CG and make a loop of Moriah Brook > Carters/Carter Dome then down the Black Angel.

Both trail pass through areas of open hardwoods at their lower elevations and you could find camping/water fairly easily.

You also have the Blue Brook tent site up off the Basin Trail, and the Spruce Brook tent site located where Spruce Brook comes into the Wild River...of course, those shelters, were in much better shape than the Perkins Notch Shelter when all three were removed over the span of a few years ...Wild River Trail has a few camping spots on the left side of the trail between Eagle Link and Perkins Notch tent site , but the trail has a lot of blow downs and mud pits...Rainbow Trail is a nice trail which you could incorporate into a loop hike somehow...Maineman absolutely correct about the Moriah Brook Trail too...PS map adventure 4th edition has Perkins Notch Shelter still listed but it has been removed...White Mt Guidebook maps have the tent sites listed on map 5....

Moriah Brook Trail is one of my favorites, not sure what you're looking for as far as daily mileage but you could start from Wild River CG and make a loop of Moriah Brook > Carters/Carter Dome then down the Black Angel.

Both trail pass through areas of open hardwoods at their lower elevations and you could find camping/water fairly easily.
brobichaud and I did this very loop the opposite way as a day hike two weeks ago. As Maineman said the Moriah Brook trail is stunning! We could smell some campfires just before the suspension bridge (bounciest in the whites!) and saw many great backcountry camping sites.

Black Angel Trail is lightly traveled, (and not well maintained) fairly rugged until you get down toward the valley. I don't recall any obvious tentsites along it, but you probably could stelth camp along the lower sections of it. But, if you went that far, why not camp at say, Spruce Brook?

Having just been on the Baldfaces, Royces, and Mt Meader, I'm going to recommend that wherever you camp in the Wild River Valley, you take the middle day and do a day hike up to that ridge.

I just did the baldfaces and Mt Meader the other weekend... gorgeous trail...

Having just been on the Baldfaces, Royces, and Mt Meader, I'm going to recommend that wherever you camp in the Wild River Valley, you take the middle day and do a day hike up to that ridge.

I have only heard good things about the Moriah Brook Trail. It can also be looped via the Shelburne trail, which I've heard is also quite nice.

It's not terribly farm from Imp Shelter from the top of the Ridge, but it might be more fun as a day trip (and set-up base camp in Wild River).

re: Moriah Brook Trail -

I guess I'm one of the few who won't do this one again unless I *HAVE* to!!!! I found the bog bridges falling apart (WILDERNESS AREA) in the REALLY swampy areas - very nasty - make sure it's dry when you're on that trail or you could end up stuck in the swamp