North, middle, south Moat via Moat Mountain Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerry13

Reaction score
Otter River, Mass Avatar: Leisurely winter hike o
Date: 8-11-13

Trail Conditions: Overall trails were in good shape. There is a lot of ledge on this loop and in areas which were still wet footing was treacherous, very slick. Many of blazes painted on ledge are fading, especially around middle Moat, so you must pay attention. River crosssing was a rock hop and so was crossing for Red Ridge Trail if you decide to just do the loop of North Moat.

Special equipment: Poles, sunscreen, but not much else.

Comments: This is a real gem of a hike for those of you who have not tried it. Great ridge walk, especially between middle and south moat. Absolutely spectacular viewing from all summits and a good portion of the ridge. Views that rival and surpass most of the big boys. I rank the views in the top four of what I have hiked in the Whites, along with the Bonds, Franconia Ridge, Northern Presis. I had heard good things about the Moats, but first hand experience certainly blew me away. Not a hike for a rainy day or an inch or two of snow day as there is a lot of relatively steep flat ledge. Much like Kearsarge North or upper cone of Monadnock and it could be real slick under those conditions. Yesterday was perfect day. The loop is well worth the hazzle of having to spot cars.