A couple of Baxter State Park Updates

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Just in case folks don't look at the website the following may affect their plans

A major culvert replacement project at Black Brook will require the closure of the Park Tote Road between Camp Phoenix Turn and Trout Brook Crossing from August 26-30.

Basically if you want to hike in the north end of the park you need to go through the north gate (realistically its just about as fast anytime to go through the north gate rather than driving the tote road from North to south

The Togue Pond gate is open at 6 AM for the duration of the summer season ( no more 5 AM opening). This helps if you are camping in the park away from the three katahdin trailheads and need to beat the gate opening. (it still requires an early wakeup.

I was planning on doing the Travelers, so will it be still open before the 26th?

Last year we stayed at Foster Field and it was a little over an hour to drive to the Travelers. This year we are staying at Bear Brook, which is by Roaring Brook so it will obviously take longer. I did look at a map and I just do not see how driving out and all the way to Millinocket to head north is faster. There doesn’t seem to be a direct route, am I missing something?

Last edited:
There is no direct route, my reference was for those driving to the park from the interstate. At least the times I did it, it was fastest going in the north gate than driving through Millinocket to Togue Pond gate and then up through the park, If you are in the park its just a long darn drive. Lot to be said for grabbing a tent site or bunkspace at South Branch the night before and getting an early start up Travelor.

I would suggest calling the park for an update on the road closure as the date gets closer.

I look forward to reading your Marston Slide trail report.

... it was fastest going in the north gate than driving through Millinocket to Togue Pond gate and then up through the park, If you are in the park its just a long darn drive. Lot to be said for grabbing a tent site or bunkspace at South Branch the night before and getting an early start up Travelor.

Yes, if going to the Travelers, just keep driving north on I-95 past Millinocket. I forget the exact directions, but go in through the north gate. That is *much* quicker than going through the south gate and driving through the park. I think it took me a couple of hours to drive from Roaring Brook to South Branch within the park.

If you are spending a night at Bear Brook and then hoping to drive around and hike the Travelers, you may be out of luck, it seems. Hopefully the road will be open or you can adjust your sleeping location.

When I get to the park on Sunday I will ask about driving from BB to the Travelers. I'm staying a week so I do have options.