Chimney Pond Yurt at BSP in winter?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cat in January

Reaction score
So I am looking at photos of Baxter and I come across this one from a trip last winter. The photo is followed by interior shots of the yurt. the photo is labeled Chimney Pond Yurt and is buried in the trip report. I have searched the internet and not found anything. Have they indeed installed a yurt up there in winter? Makes tremendous sense-snowmobiles can easily carry it up and down. Another option beside the bunkhouse-I would be very interested. So is this a deeply buried ruse or has BSP indeed a yurt at Chimney Pond? Inquiring minds wish to know.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25147002@N04/8575714306/

I am not sure of its current status this year but it was used as the temporary bunkhouse for several years. I don't think it added any places to stay. By the way, it was set back quite a bit in the woods and didn't have the view out the front door that the bunkhouse had

Looking to go this winter and I don't have enough people right now to be able to afford the whole bunk house and thought if this is available maybe I could afford a "whole yurt". Bunkhouse seems tightly packed by my tastes for winter. Still better than the lean to because no fires up there even in winter at the lean to.

edit: called BSP today and pretty much what you said peakbagger. The yurt is there for staff and emergencies, but can not be rented out. Too bad really as I am sure it would be rented most of the winter.

Last edited:
edit: called BSP today and pretty much what you said peakbagger. The yurt is there for staff and emergencies, but can not be rented out. Too bad really as I am sure it would be rented most of the winter.
Last Winter, several kids built a snow cave at Chimney Pond. I'm not sure if it covered a lean-to, or was free standing, but it was only 100' or so from the Ranger cabin.

One of the not well publicized secrets of BSP is that "special" guests can usually get in there at the last minute. Most of the campsites have a trail crew cabin and they are rarely used consistently. They are not open to the general public but they apparently are available to "special guests" . In a way, this is probably better than pushing a member of the general public out of a reserved spot and gives the rangers some flexibility. I have never been able to find out who defines who are "special" guests , but have run into relatives and friends of caretakers staying in the trail crew cabins (or in the ranger cabins themselves) as well as media folks over the years. Ultimately there are politicians in the background of the management of the park (generally kept in check by the public), so I expect some of the special guests have political connections.

BSP has policies in place that they really cant expand their facilities substantially due to Governor Baxter's wishes, it does not seem to be a hard and fast rule as new shelters or tent sites get built on rare occasions, but its done with great care and generally away from the overused areas at the base of Katahdin. The "Birches" used by AT hikers is about the only one I know of near the base and even that is located remote down the road from Katahdin Stream and is primarily there to deal with AT thru hikers that really don't have a good option of making reservations.