ADK 6 in 2 and Sore Feet

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddie

Reaction score
With me being out of action since April recovering from a trail running knee hyper extension injury, then making a comeback in June only to suffer the dreaded Plantar fasciitis, I needed to finally get out and get some 4k peaks. I had to cancel my July 4 weekend trip to NH where I had planned a Pemi Loop, so I was aching to get out and see what I could do.

Day 1 consisted of a knee and foot check out hike of Tabletop and Colden. The forecast for Wed 8/14 was 10% chance in LP and I know better than to trust the Weather service, especially after a cold front passes. I was prepared for the showery day it became. Other than completely soaked from the car wash effect, the hike went fine. Top of Colden was in the mid 40s with winds gusting to 30. When I got back to the Loj, all body parts checked out just fine and my stamina seemed good considering the lack of running. That was 15.5 miles and 4,400 ft., not bad, so let's crank it up a little tomorrow.

Day 2, Lake Road to Colvin and Blake via Indian Head and Fish Hawk Cliffs, then Nippletop and Dial and back to Lake Road. About 19 miles and 6,300 ft., started at 6:15am. I had an enjoyable first 4 miles in talking with Dan and Sarah who were headed to the Range trail. After we went our own ways, climbed to IH and FHC which are really spectacular and on this fine weather day, nothing could be finer. Made it to the Gill Brook trail and the Colvin ascent. Hmm, I don't remember this trail being so rough. Summited Colvin and on to Blake 1.3 miles away. Man, this trail is rough and not made for speed. By time I got there I began thinking about aborting the Nip Dial portion. But I survived the return to Colvin and when I got to the Nip trail junction it was 1:30pm so I was on schedule. I met Matt and Derek there and after sharing greetings and stories of our days, I decided to continue on, I'm a tough guy, I can do this. At Elk Pond, filtered 2 additional liters of water for the return. The ascent of Nippletop was OK although I noticed a drop in speed due to fatigue but still I was feeling as expected. I left the summit at 3:45pm for the final 7 miles out, generally downhill with a few intermediate PUDs. And that's when the wheels went flat, literally. The downhill pounding killed my feet and each mile became more agonizing than the last. I would have to stop about every 10 minutes for a minute or so to help relieve the pain. I did have heel cushion inserts and the PF was actually not the problem. The balls of my feet were the worst. And I forgot the f--kin' ibuprofen!! If I were I kid I would have cried all the way out. Finally made it to the car by 7:45pm, 4 hours of mind-numbing foot pain later and some of the worst I have ever felt.

So, I don't know what to make of this other than: I jammed too much in for Day 2, or I was not ready for this much mileage after such little training this past season, or if I need new hiking BOOTS with thick soles, or my 56 years on earth are catching up with me or the perfect storm of all four? I would be honored if you would please impart your experiences or wisdom upon me to either make me feel better and allow me to continue on or to assist me in starting to plan my retirement hiking schedule...

And as I write this two days later, my feet are still sore and protesting the abuse.