Jay Range - one of the nicest ridgewalks in the northeast.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jay Range: One of the Adirondack best kept hiking secrets?

I was introduced to the Jay Range in the early 1990s while pursuing ADK 3000s. At that time there was no maintained trail, just undefined "herd paths" which originated on private land, as I recall. Other nearby open peaks with great outlook ledges .... worth the bushwhack: Saddleback and Slip Mtn.

@Bubba, I had so many photos could only post so many. With the out and back to the highest point on the ridge, it's about 2700' + elevation gain by the time you're back to the TH.
@Dennis - Isn't it a beauty? This was my 4th or 5th time here, but the first time up the new trail. Longer but much nicer IMO.

Alan

And there are two excellent articles about the Jay Range in the latest issue of ADK's Adirondac Magazine... As well as a just as interesting one by Alan Via and Liz Cruz about Rochester Hollow/ A Destination for All Seasons.

The 46ers fall meeting in Keene Valley features a do not miss delightful presentation by Alan Via about the Catskills 67!

Thank you....But Black Spruce's wonderful article on the Jay Range in the current issue of Adirondac simply MAKES the issue. I grabbed some extra copies so I could share them with friends who haven't yet hiked the Jay Range so they can see what they are missing.

Bravo, Christine and Alan. Thoroughly enjoyed both your pieces. Can't wait to get back to Jay, and to visit Rochester Hollow for the first time!

Maybe a winter hike into the hollow, then a whack to Rose Mt's 2900' sub summit, to get a view toward Balsam and Belleayre ? Might be fun exploring as I don't know anyone who's been up there.

Last edited: