Mt. Tom/ The Bear and the Bunny

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfgang

Reaction score
Date of Hike: Mon. 19 Aug 2013

Trails: Avalon & AZ

Comments: I don't normally summer post, unless I see something interesting. I set out for a quick Calendar Day walk up to Tom, and just before the jct. with the Avalon and AZ, a cute little bunny rabbit came charging down the trail and stopped right at my feet. I thought, boy this guy is in a hurry, and wondered why, so I looked up and here comes a bear down the path chasing the little guy, with breakfast on his mind. Luckily, when the bruin saw me, he jumped off into the woods. Needless to say, since I was solo, I made a little bit of noise for the next few hundred yards. On the way back down, I met up with several hikers who said a little rabbit almost knocked them over on the trail on their way up. Talk about the proverbial "Scared Rabbit". I guess I would be too. Third bear that I've seen on the trails this year so far, the first cotton tail, since I've lived in New England for the last 13 years. By the way the trails are in good shape.

Wolfgang