baker mountain 8/24/13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryan

Reaction score
date: 8/24/13

trails: logging road, bushwack

conditions: from lily bay road, just under 7 miles north of greenville, i turned right onto the well signed and maintained prong pond road and followed it for about 1.7 miles before turning left onto an unmarked road. this road was also in good shape and is part of an atv corridor as it loops around prong pond mountain. at about 7.2 from lily bay road i turned left onto a less travelled road that was still drivable in a passenger with a bit of care in spots. at 8.2 i forked to the right and continued to 8.7 where i parked with the western spur of baker looming above me. i continued up the road on foot until it turned north and became more overgrown with tall grass (nice view ahead to lily bay mountain). old and overgrown skidder roads headed up the mountain to the east and i picked one and followed it through tall grass and rasberries until i hit the woods. the going was steady, but never too steep and the woods were generally open to moderately thick. as i approached the top of the western spur i started to encounter scrubby spruce/fir interspersed with open areas that had nice views. from one of these i spotted a talus slope above which i headed towards and was rewarded with a spectacular view across moosehead lake and ranging from the other nearby summits of baker and lily bay to the high peaks of the rangeley area. above the slope i hit thick scrub which opened up again and it was a mixed bag from there to the summit. some great moose paths along with thicker sections of fir and spruce along with a bit of tight stick forest. the more easterly bump on that western spur had a nice view to the main summit, but was essentially covered with fir wave that made for tough going. from the area around the summit i was able to find a view to whitecap and very limited look up towards kathadin. i descended on roughly the same route revisiting the talus slope on the way down.

equipment: nothing in particular.

comments: an absolutely beautiful day. i was relieved to find the roads i planned to use for access were in good repair after beating my car up a bit on nastier road yesterday. hitting the talus slope on the way up was a real treat. some of the best views i've had hiking in the area to date. lots of interesting woods and moose sign along the way as well. i did a little driving around after the hike on log roads heading in towards the south summit of the mountain and found some great views along with a moose that travelled down the road with me for a bit. a great couple days hiking in maine.

bryan

[email protected]