Lethe 2013-Aug-24

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikehikeskifish

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
On Saturday, a group of us did the Moriah-Carters traverse, during which Raven and I tagged the so-called Mount Lethe (4584') for the Trailwrights. I'm skipping over everything but the Mount Lethe sections.

Both Raven and I had read whatever we could find on this peak, mostly the descriptions by RoySwkr, and Stinky Feet (from this past winter.) We came from the North Carter side, and along the way, checked out the views of Lethe a few times. From what we could see, the summit was fairly flat--no obvious high point--but we did observe a few clumps of taller trees that appeared (from below) to be the highest point. From the height of land on the Carter-Moriah trail, there is an obvious herd path heading due east. However, this herd path goes uphill only slightly and dead-ends about 25 feet from the trail. I imagine many folks stop right here and call it good, but we weren't quite high enough, and there were no views. We continued east, swimming through the krumholtz until we came to a large boulder, gaining another 10-20 feet of elevation along the way. Raven climbed up and couldn't see an obvious higher point, so I climbed up and joined him. From here, Raven wandered around to the other few rocks we could see, and never appeared taller than me. I followed him to the next two biggest boulders, and we called it good.

I don't recall a view to Wildcat, but I can tell you that on top of that biggest rock, there is a 360-degree view. We had left our packs at the herd path and with it the camera, so no photos from the summit. It's a thick stretch of 200-250', not very long at all, but very scratchy. Still, if you're in the area, it provides an interesting view. What would make a cool photo is for one person to go north or south on the CMT to a view of Lethe and take a picture of the other standing on that big rock. From either side, it would look as though the subject was standing on the tree tops.

Tim

Last edited:
From the height of land on the Carter-Moriah trail, there is an obvious herd path heading due east. However, this herd path goes uphill only slightly and dead-ends about 25 feet from the trail. I imagine many folks stop right here and call it good, ...
I don't recall a view to Wildcat, but I can tell you that on top of that biggest rock, there is a 360-degree view.
If you had a 360 degree view then you were at the high point of 4584 - the key being the view into Wild River with nothing between

But since the true Mt Lethe has a view of Wildcat, that indicates that 4584 isn't Lethe

Roy -

We found two spots with 360 degree views. First we came to a rather large boulder (5 feet high?) sitting somewhat alone among scrub that we were able to scramble on top of with a little effort. Further east (maybe NE) of this, was also a 360 view from a larger area of exposed ledge with a smaller boulder or two on it. These spots seemed very close in height and also seemed the two high points. Which is the actual high point?

Not saying I couldn't see Wildcat. Only that now, back at the computer, I don't recall whether or not I saw it.

attachment.php

There is a bit of a gully between the north and south bits of our "loop".

Tim

Attachments

• 8-26-2013 9-56-57 PM.jpg
    8-26-2013 9-56-57 PM.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 562
Last edited:
We found two spots with 360 degree views. First we came to a rather large boulder (5 feet high?) sitting somewhat alone among scrub that we were able to scramble on top of with a little effort. Further east (maybe NE) of this, was also a 360 view from a larger area of exposed ledge with a smaller boulder or two on it. These spots seemed very close in height and also seemed the two high points. Which is the actual high point?

Like you folks I sort of make a loop and wander around when I'm there, but usually not returning to the herd path. The USGS map shows both 4584 and Middle Carter as pointier than I would have thought. I guess I consider the larger flattish area to be the nicest candidate as there's ample room for a break although there are other possibilities. Who cares? Once you're all the way up there, it's easy enough to tag several. And 4584 has less than 100' col so it's really just a bump anyway.