ADK - First time suggestions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jethro

Reaction score
I have Thursday and Friday off, looking to climb in the Daks for the first time; my tentative agenda is Algonquin and Marcy, both as dayhikes from the Loj. If anyone has a "must do" alternative suggestion, let me know - my main concern is I don't want any long drive from Lake Placid (since I'll be staying there), and the Loj seems like the most accessible trailhead area.

If anyone's in the area weather looks to be beautiful - mid 30's and calm winds above treeline as per the Jethro wind predictor.

TIA

Jethro - Don't know your experience level, but this time of year, Iroquois can be a nice jaunt from Algonquin - Especially if the trail is packed, you'll zip right along with the Krumholz probably knee or waist high at most. I would return via Algonquin, though. (If you are feeling strong and the day is nice, Wright is also a great stopover point on the way back from Algonquin).
Have a great time
Rick

Colden might be another alternative. Up via Lake Arnold shouldn't be too bad and I personally find the view from Colden to be quite inspiring on a nice day. Something about it's location right smack in the middle of it all, sandwiched between the greater peaks of Algonquin and Marcy.

Jethro,

As Rick said, we don't know your experience level. If you posted that, it would be easier to answer your question. The fact that it's your first hike in the Adirondacks may not necessarily mean you should do an "easy" hike. It all depends upon your background and what shape you're in. If you're an experienced hiker and in good shape,have checked out the stats for Algonquin and Marcy, and that's what you want to do, than certainly go for it. They're both wonderful "classic" Adirondacks hikes, both with stupendous views. Marcy is longer (almost 15 mi r.t.) but a more gradual climb than Algonquin (8 mi r.t.). Rick's suggestion of doing Wright, either as a part of Algonquin or as a destination itself, is good. Mavs00's Colden via Lake Arnold is another great one. If it's an easy, short jog of a hike you want/need in the area, perhaps Mt. Jo (from the Loj), also with fine views, would fit the bill. If you want to drive a little farther, that opens up even more possibilities.

Thanks guys, sorry about omitting the experience, I've run up and down Washington and the other NH >5k's at least 10 times in the winter, some in nasty conditions, so I doubt the ADK's will be a problem in benign weather with the obvious disclaimer that you have to treat every hike with respect. As far as Marcy goes, I realize the mileage is up there, so I plan on making the trek to the Dam predawn.

As far as equipment goes, I'm not sure if the ice axe is overkill; probably just come in handy for glissading down Algonquin, etc. I also surmise I should bring the snowshoes "just in case" although with the snowpack supposedly < 12" I'd really prefer to leave them in the car if I'm not gonna posthole.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

With your experience, on a sunny day, Marcy, Skylight and Gray is a beautiful trip in Winter. Starting with Marcy on the VanHoevenburgh coming down over Lake Tear. With good conditions this curcuit can be done in about 13 hours on a dayhike.

jethro said:
I also surmise I should bring the snowshoes "just in case" although with the snowpack supposedly < 12" I'd really prefer to leave them in the car if I'm not gonna posthole.

Jethro, the DEC regs require that you carry snowshoes or skis when there is more than eight inches of snow.

Colvin

Mount Colvin would be another great 46er peak. If its a nice day or if the cloud cover is low where you definately would not see anything on Marcy or Alg. I say go for Colvin. I have never hiked this peak in the winter but this past summer it has incredible views of the Ausable Lakes and the Great Range. For a lesser peak its one of my favorites!!!

Also if you walk the ridge towards Blake before descending there are more great views. Here is a link to the pictures of the Colvin and Blake trip.

Happy Trails,
ADAM

Thanks again for all the suggestions, only had one day to spend and woke up late so I chose Algonquin over Marcy, report is in trail conditions (date was 2/4 not 2/5). Definitely a different character to the ADK's versus the Whites; it was fun mixing things up a little.