Baxter State Park Questions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1SlowHiker

Reaction score
I'm hoping to go up to BSP next week (1st week of Sept) and do some or all 6 of the NEHH peaks. I've researched it pretty good but still have a few questions that someone may be able to help me with.

1. Can I assume that I will not be able to get any cell phone service while in the park and that there are no pay land line phones in the park?

2. If the above is true, about how far south of the park would i need to go to get cell phone service or find a pay phone?

3. I know parking may be a problem during the summer at roaring brook and they have the reserve parking DUPR system but only up to 7 a.M. but I will be getting there mid afternoon on a week day plus it being being after labor day I would think that parking wouldnt be a problem . yes/no?

4. I have reserved bunkroom space but may want to change to a leanto or tent site if available (i know there would be no refund on the BR, Can you do that on a walk in basis if there are sites avaialable? r do all sites have to be reserved?

I do already know that you need cash for the gate and there is no potable water in the park
i may add some more questions before i leave (Tuesday maybe). but will welcome any info that may not already be on the BSP website.

If you have a reserved lodging space you'll have parking. Talk to the rangers, I've moved sites when they're available without a problem.

I’ve received cell service at Bear Brook over the years as well as once I’m up top.

People frequently post real time pictures from Baxter Peak, so service up top is pretty good.

As others have pointed out, good likelihood you'll get service on/near Baxter Peak but YMMV depending on where you are and the quality of your phone/service. I do believe there is still a pay phone several miles south of the gate at the general store near the dike between Ambejejus and Millinocket Lakes. Since you'll be driving by there on the way to the park (unless you arrive from the west via the Golden Road) you can stop and check ... it is also a good place to get last minute supplies including some good sandwiches. I got cell phone reception at that dike at the parking area near the boat ramp.

As others have pointed out, good likelihood you'll get service on/near Baxter Peak but YMMV depending on where you are and the quality of your phone/service. I do believe there is still a pay phone several miles south of the gate at the general store near the dike between Ambejejus and Millinocket Lakes. Since you'll be driving by there on the way to the park (unless you arrive from the west via the Golden Road) you can stop and check ... it is also a good place to get last minute supplies including some good sandwiches. I got cell phone reception at that dike at the parking area near the boat ramp.

I was at Bear Brook campground last week, and could receive text mssgs. (Verizon), but that's about it. Did not have phone on peaks. Yes, you will have service when you get out of park by the store. Will be there next week also.

Overnight parking is a separate lot (sort of) from day-use at Roaring Brook. When I went up there last summer, we arrived around 2:30PM (were heading to Chimney Pond) and there was plenty of room in the overnight lot.

RB has a separate day use lot. That's the one that is always full and Dupr recommended on weekends. I found July and Aug are the PITA months with parking. In September it gets a little easier on weekends as long as you're there early. I have a bottom of the line pay as you go Tracfon and I even get spotty service on the tote road on between Katahdin Stream and gate. You should get service most peaks above treeline. The closest pay phone might be at NEOC a couple miles before Togue Pond Gate just before painted rock. This a whitewater rafting company.

Luckily I live about an hour from Millinocket and can for the most part cherry pick good days to Baxter on a whim. I try to avoid Katahdin on weekends on July and August. It can crowded.

I highly recommend the Traveler if you can get to that side of the park. Not NEHH but is on Fifty Prominence list and a gem with hardly any people.

New question:
5. I was planning on staying at Nesowadnehunk camp ground as a base camp to do the Brothers hopfully after finishing the Katahdins. It looks like it would be closer to the trailhead then Katahdin stream CG. Looking at the availablility list it seems a lot more available then Katahdin stream CG. Is there any reason i wouldn't want to stay at Nes... vs Katahdin Stream CG?
BTW, thanks for all the responses on my other questions.

New question:
5. I was planning on staying at Nesowadnehunk camp ground as a base camp to do the Brothers hopfully after finishing the Katahdins. It looks like it would be closer to the trailhead then Katahdin stream CG. Looking at the availablility list it seems a lot more available then Katahdin stream CG. Is there any reason i wouldn't want to stay at Nes... vs Katahdin Stream CG?
BTW, thanks for all the responses on my other questions.

There's no reason that I can think of, that you wouldn't want to stay at Nesowadnehunk. I've stayed in the park three times, all there, and enjoyed the quiet immensely. I can't speak for the other campgrounds, but Nesowadnehunk is awesome. Plus, I like typing it, and saying it... Nesowadnehunk. :)