Huts and campsites, what do they cost

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Yankees Guy

Reaction score
I have read a bunch on where the hikes are located, if there is a reservation/first come first served policy, water availability, and so on. But one thing that is never talked about is the cost. Are all the fees the same at the AMC Huts, and the campsites in the Whites, what are those fees?

Booking info for the AMC Huts and AMC staffed backcountry campsites can be found at www.outdoors.org.

The staffed backcountry campsites (Liberty Springs, 13 Falls, Guyot, Nauman, Garfield Ridge, etc) are generally $8/night/person, first-come. The Huts are a lot more, but include food and a bed, and can be reserved.

There are also unstaffed shelters in several areas, mainly along the AT: Eliza Brook, Kinsman Pond, etc, that have no charge.

The Huts that stay open all winter are a lot cheaper off season but don't provide meals, linen or blankets, but you get full use of the kitchen, stove, pots, pans, plates, etc

Reservations for huts are required. During the summer months many huts are full to capacity so there is no room for extras, but even if they had empty beds they plan the meals for the count expected. It costs roughly $100/person/night and breakfast and dinner are included.

There are also the RMC huts - which are really more like cabins. No food service, no reservations, if they are full you will be asked to move to one of the other cabins/shelters that have space. http://randolphmountainclub.org/sheltersinfo/aboutourshelters.html Cost ranges from $8/person to $20 depending on which facility and RMC membership status.

The Huts that stay open all winter are a lot cheaper off season but don't provide meals, linen or blankets, but you get full use of the kitchen, stove, pots, pans, plates, etc
I hit return before i finished my post.

You just have to have to hump in food & a sleeping bag
I had a great 2 day hike of the Carters and Wildcats staying at the Carter Notch Hut offseason last October:
http://1slowhiker.blogspot.com/2012_10_09_archive.html

I hit return before i finished my post.
I had a great 2 day hike of the Carters and Wildcats staying at the Carter Notch Hut offseason last October:

just checked and weekday rate off season for C-N hut is $25/bunk, $40 on weekends but they fill up fast (and you may have to wait longer to use the kitchen)

Last edited by a moderator: