National Geographic Topo - customer service

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mavs00

Reaction score
I have several topo programs for the computer and my favorite among them is the NG Northeastern USA, which is part of the State Map Series (MAC version). Recently, while fantisi....... er, I mean route finding on the program, I noticed a huge gap in the 1:24000 level for a 5x5 mile block of the Adirondacks (disk #4).

When I ejected and looked at the CD, it was scratched (IN A HUGE WAY). Now in this house, with the kids, pets, and the daily hectic grind, I can't rule out the fact that this CD wasn't used as a frisbee or a soft drink coaster or something in the past weeks :rolleyes: . Needleess to say, the damage was almost certainly MY FAULT.

I called the customer service number I found at the website and was very upfront (I'm honest to a fault) about the problem and likely reason for it. The dude just said "no problem, we'll send you a new CD". Bam, just like that, I messed up the CD and they said no problem, we'll fix it.

If you don't have the software, it a good program, and customer service can't be beat (particularly for a software company). I should note, I had to wait a whole 3 minutes for help on the phone.

Any Thoughts?

Last edited:
Hey mavs00,
I received this same NG software package for Xmas and I'm having a blast playing with it so far. It's reassuring to hear of your positive experience with their customer service.
Just out of curiosity, did you send in the product registration card when you first got the software and did that make any difference when they resolved your problem? Coincidentally I was using Topo earlier tonight (I'm entering the New England 770 list as waypoints)(I know...I should get a life...) and wondered if I should bother with registration.

Swamp,

for your reference, I'm pretty much a dope, I didn't send in crap (I rarely ever do). They never even asked me for it. Now, I'm sure it helps that I was only requesting a "data" disc (#4) instead of the "meat and potatoes" install disc.

Still, I was quite amazed, I assumed they'd charge me to replace the disc (even if it was a data disc), but they didn't.

As soon as I get the replacement disc, I'm making several backups. Of all the discs I need, that is one I cannot afford to lose (the ADK one) since it's the primary place I hike.

Mavs,
after using the CD's for about a year, I loaded all of the CDs on my hard drive (NG Website has instructions to run it from a hard drive) and put them away for safekeeping on a high closet shelf. I find that having them on the hard drive (at home AND at work) certianly saves the switching of disks and the program comes up much faster.
And I can't take the credit for theis great idea, - Someone on VFTT (Ken?)mentioned this in another thread.
Good luck

Rick said:
. . . after using the CD's for about a year, I loaded all of the CDs on my hard drive (NG Website has instructions to run it from a hard drive) . . .
Thanks so much for posting that tip. I can't say how much nicer it is to scroll from map to map now without forever swapping disks.

Now, am I the only one whose NG disk for the southwest corner of Vermont has a map of some place called Duanesburg defectively stuck over what should be Pownal VT at the 7.5 level? Don't all look at once, now.

Last edited:
I love the NG Topo! software but was wondering if anyone has a workaround for some irksome phenomena. When I open a .tpo file I always get Kansas at map level 1. (I prefer the 'Dacks.) Additionally, the overview map is open by default.

Neil said:
I love the NG Topo! software but was wondering if anyone has a workaround for some irksome phenomena. When I open a .tpo file I always get Kansas at map level 1. (I prefer the 'Dacks.) Additionally, the overview map is open by default.

First, thanks Rick, as soon as I got it in the mail, I put disc 4 on my hard-drive (I've haven't found a use for the other discs yet, so I'll keep using them as coasters) :D . Much easier now.

Neil, not sure if I'd call this a work-around. But when I reach that Kansas screen, I immediatly go to VIEW > FIND (Gazetteer) and plug in Marcy (or a mountain near where you want to be) with New York highlighted. Then the search will bring up a couple Marcys, highlight the summit and hit go (level 4 out 5).

This brings you right where you want to be and it only takes about 15 seconds. and it's a heck of alot easier than zooming all the way in.

While good customer service is always a pleasure, my experience in situations like this (I manage several labs with a lot of specialized software) is that once you buy the software and data, you've paid for the intellectual property. In sending a new disk, the cost of postage is probably more expensive than the disk itself.

professor said:
While good customer service is always a pleasure, my experience in situations like this (I manage several labs with a lot of specialized software) is that once you buy the software and data, you've paid for the intellectual property. In sending a new disk, the cost of postage is probably more expensive than the disk itself.

While your probably right about the cost issue. The reason for my initial post was that I felt that the whole process with them was "better than average". I've, in the course of personal and professional dealings, have had to deal with many computer related customer service/tech support lines. This stood out for several reasons.

1) NO WAIT (huge ++++++)
2) I didn't have to fish through any product or serial number, blaa, blaa, blaa
3) the dude was helpful and real personable.
4) Quick, I got a replacement disk with 2-3 days.

This is the way it should be of course, but isn't always. I felt I had to give them kudos
beerchug.gif

NG Topo

I also use Topo, used to use Maptech, still have it. Both are really good, Maptech has been great as far as support as well. I bought it quite a while ago and have never been charged for an upgrade.

One thing I have noticed with all of these softwares is that the USGS Map information is very old. Does anyone know of a more recent set of maps that have made their way into the software?

Neil, I think you can save a new .tpo file and open it by default.

Tramper Al said:
Now, am I the only one whose NG disk for the southwest corner of Vermont has a map of some place called Duanesburg defectively stuck over what should be Pownal VT at the 7.5 level? Don't all look at once, now.

Duanesburg is just a few miles west of Pownal, its likely some kind of bleed over in the program.

Ng Topo

I'll second (or third) the NG service received.
For years I had been collecting the Regional Series, sections by sections for New England area at $50 a shot.
Then I got a Garmin 60CS which operates on USB port. The older NG software did not work and I was instructed by customer support to buy their expansion pack 3D program which includes the correct USB driver.
Cost $30.
Ok I figured I would follow their advice and upgrade.
Upon installation it did not work, so I called support and asked why.
It turns out the Regional Series is not supported for the new USB driver upgrade, only the STATE series is.
I explained that I have been purchasing $50 packages of Regional maps for years and was not planning to buy another replacement package for $100.

They sent me the new North East State Series package free of charge.
No serial numbers asked on previous products.

Thanks NG Topo! :) :)

Brownie

Again, kudos to NG tech support. The very first track I downloaded into NG topo showed a nice trek in the middle of long island sound. They asked me to send them a copy of the tpg file and determined that my magellan unit was locking on to a sattellite exactly at the moment I was downloading the track.

By deleting the last few trackpoints in an exported file and re-importing it, my trip up the Kinsmans showed up perfectly.

They said they were going to make changes to the software in case somebodies GPS managed to get lock right during the download process.