Non - outdoor people wearing the gear - does it irk you?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

giggy

Reaction score
Ok - this is way petty, but I am in this stype of mood today - does it tick anyone else off when they see folks who you know are not doing anything outdoors - decked out in north face, marmot, etc... gear.

I usually let people live and live, but this bothers me and I am just wondering if I need to go to some anger management classes.

Everyone has their buttoms and this pushes mine.

I heard somewhere that ice climbers where complaining that their normal size in north face jackets where too large around the belly becuase north face markets to "larger folks" now.

get giggy w/ it!

first, why would you let something like that get to you anyway. is it really the fact that someone you KNOW isn't actually out hiking for example, but wearing "THE" clothes or something else bugging you? time to go to that "happy place" and take a breather! i know you are just in that kind of mood today but who cares what anyone else wears or why. there's so many reasons why folks may be wearing "hiking" clothing (using hiking as an example, as that seems to be the most predominant) ; first you have the industry marketing to everyone - folks who prefer street corners w/ crack and will never see the sunrise from the top of a mountain are wearing north face. then there's folks who buy the jackets and boots bec they are functional, warm and durable. maybe they'll just be wearing the stuff around during the season the gear is suited for because it's the best out there. i can't blame them for that can you? and there's always "arm-chair" adventurers who have dreams of Everest but never leave their backyard. Not often, but sometimes when i see someone wearing an obvious piece of hiking clothing i'll ask them "do you hike"? if they say yes that's great. if they say no - i might say "sorry, i noticed the jacket it's a nice piece of hiking gear - you should try it - you'd love it!" some people just don't have anyone to go with and are afraid to reach out or try out by themselves. a little encouragement never hurts. i've turned a lot of folks on to this site for info and the trail reviews for places to go. it just seems like a waste of your precious energy caring about something as meaningless as that. instead focus on the positive and things that can make a difference. you'll be happier for it.
(ps: those n.f. denali jackets run huge...... :) )

I notice it but what do I care. Supply and Demand is essential and drives the economy. I have more things to worry about than someones jacket brand... for instance, what shaving cream will make my skin silky smooth. :rolleyes:

So where do you see these people -- indoors?

Maybe you need a weekend at the Highland Center.

First off, how do you know what they do at other times? I where my North face jacket to work every morning because I do not let the jeep warm up wasting gas and it is a damn cold hour long drive and why bother buying another jacket? Occasionally I wear my boots to work so I can sneak out at lunch to snowshoe, maybe you saw me at the gas station with my boots, but it's easier to wear them then to carry them. Finally, mind your own business. Yeah, i'm in one of those moods too. ;)

So this pushes your buttoms, hey? My imagination is running away with me trying to figure what part of the anatomy that is! :D

The way I see it, my outdoor clothing is my most comfortable clothing so if other people, who don't wear it for outdoor purposes, have learned that, good for them ... at least they're not total dorks.

Or, if it's way cool to be seen in outdoor clothing, think of what that makes us! :cool:

$15 please (copayment)

You probably own a Patriots jersey, but you're not a football player. :)

Heck, Pete Hickey wears panty hose but he's not a girl.
(you're not, right Pete?) :D

See the thread on chaffing for a good laugh.

The point is the manufacturers make clothing related to weather conditions anyone might encounter, not just hiking people.
If emulation is the sincerest form of flattery, then just consider yourself complimented and let them go on their merry way.
Of course if their gear is nicer than yours....then that's a different story, and a simple mugging will be the cure all.

Definitely sounds like it's time for anger management classes, or some time in the woods! :)

And Shadow, you did a very nice job stepping into the counselor role! I liked that! Is that your profession?

To the note regarding ice climbing clothes: climbers have always bemoaned what I call "puff." This is when the oversized material around the waist of your jacket puffs out above your harness. It interferes with seeing and reaching your gear, and really upsets you when you need the gear RIGHT NOW. That's one reason why the soft shells and the stretch triolet are popular among climbers; they stay nice and tight to the waist.

And there is definitely a trend to "sizing up" in clothes manufactures! I used to wear a medium in shells, and more and more I need to get smalls lately. I have about a 38" chest and a 30" waist (little guy!). Much of the product out there is sized for "the gut." I returned a "medium" jacket a couple months ago to Sierra, because the chest was about 50", and the waist was about 54". When I tried it on, the words "Tent", "Tarp" and "Sail" came to mind. :)

TCD

afka_bob said:
Maybe you need a weekend at the Highland Center.

Nice one, afka _bob

Just think, all those people are adding to the demand and keeping our costs down...

On the other side...

Yes, I'm on the other side of the picture. You see, I comute by bicycle, and in the winter, the roads are pretty messy. So I buy inexpensive clothes at the local Goodwill store. I also put my feet in bread sacks before putting them in my boots, and sometimes stuff newspapers in my jacket for added insulation.

And do you know what the street bums say? They say, "Look at that guy, dressing like a street bum, when he's a rich hi-tech worker."

And they bitch and bitch about me.... I just think they're jealous of me because I can afford to look like a bum.

Last edited:
Pete_Hickey said:
And do you know what the street bums say? They say, "Look at that guy, dressing like a street bum, when he's a rich hi-tech worker."
No Pete, they say - Wowwwww.... Lookaat him. He is one of ussss but he has risen.... He can ride like the wind - Say where can we get a $5 bicycle like yours." :p
I think I now understand the half beard - Going to work you pass them and they think your someone else. On the way back home - Someone else again. They now think there are 2 bummish-looking bikeriders out there. ;)

And Where Do They Get Those Clothes?

When you walk into Macy's in downtown Boston, the first thing you hit in the men's department (which is right next to the panty hose for male hikers section) is the North Face department. And there is nothing there on sale, I assure you.

So don't worry, those people aren't shopping at EMS, REI or Hilton Tent City. North Face has found them every place else.

(I was in the mood last week, but climbing Willey and Field on Saturday really helped.)

"counselor" shadowcat?

TCD: And Shadow, you did a very nice job stepping into the counselor role! I liked that! Is that your profession?

hahahah
nooooo i'm not a counselor -
i'm an accountant!
i used to do corupt, i mean creative, no i meant - corporate accounting
now i work for the great state of ny.
mmmmmm - what kind of accounting is that?
pretty stinkin funny huh? hehehehehehehhhe

Pete Hickey wears panty hose ...

and wields an axe!

sounds like sumbody i gotta meet, and maybe have a contest or two with (arm wrasslin, chug-a-lug & whatever else i can think of) :eek:

whoops, i digress, this is supposed to be the gear envy thread... :D

the reason you see so many people wearing hiking clothes around town is they're saving their nice cotton stuff for hiking. (I expect to see a similiar rant this July). :p

Jim

Most of my co-workers wear Northface Jackets basicly because we are outside in adk. winter weather a lot: but I am the only one who hikes. I also see several students at the college wear them for the same reason (adk.winters). I also wear boxer shorts and jockey shorts (no Panty hose) ; but I don't box or race horses :eek: If I see women wearing 12pt. crampons at a formal event I might say they are over doing it a bit. :rolleyes: Pete I carry bread bags to put on my feet. I never considered putting veggies in them :D

Last edited:
Pete_Hickey said:
I also put my beet in bread sacks before putting them in my boots

Wow, first panty hose and now beets in your boots - am I looking forward to meeting you!!!

Certain Manufact...

I noticed that North Face gear has come down in price some what since it became the cool thing to wear.

I has never irked me thou. It might start "irking" me if people start wearing gaiters to work with an ice axe in their hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.