Non - outdoor people wearing the gear - does it irk you?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no problem with those suburbanites in TNF stuff.
I doesn't bother me at all.....

But I'm really p***d when I see a pale suburban shopper in a Mountain Hardwear Exposure II shell with Conduit II technology and....
Wait...it's ok...I'm alright now! :D

Afka_Bob-you just crack me up-I get it-isn't that scary?

bruno said:
i wear a yankees cap sometimes and i don't play for the yankees. yeah, that's right! a yankees cap. they're back. believe me.

Haha, You are forgetting the curse of the A-Rod!

slaphappy.jpg

As for non-active people wearing "active-wear" - someone earlier mentioned the people buying for fashion adding to the companies bottom line, and helping keep the cost down. The revenue from these non-active people are also funding R&D to help improve the products, and introduce new and improved products.

I think its obvious there are more non-active people in this country than there are active people, based on overweight and obesity statistics. So the money the masses are spending on products you and I use to protect ourselves from the elements while enjoying the great outdoors is welcomed.

We won't see them on the mountains anyway!

giggy said:
does it tick anyone else off when they see folks who you know are not doing anything outdoors - decked out in north face, marmot, etc... gear.

Interesting question... Now that I think of it, there's nobody who I know is not doing anything outdoors who wears expensive outdoor gear. Not only that, but most of the people I know who do things in the outdoors are not wearing any of that expensive gear.

What bothers me more is the hiking/climbing/outdoors stores and gear manufacturers that have dumbed down their gear for the masses and stock their shelves with gear that is too good for everyday wear/use by non-hikers (like your pet peeve) but not up to the standard required by those of us who actually want to use the stuff for the outdoors.

And then the niche stores can't succeed 'cause they can't compete with the big guys and everyone loses.

THAT felt GOOOOOOD. I might join in these complaint threads more often. ;) :cool: :D

The current look at the university where I work is wearing North Face clothing coupled with boots/shoes that have six inch stiletto heels. An interesting combination to say the least.

re: north face

someone asked about north face and quality. the denali jacket is an excellant example to use. that jacket runs around 165, more for the thermal version. and it runs huge! a ladies small drowns me. and the worst part is that there is nothing special about it at all! no new high tech fabric - just your old fashion fleece with some pit zips. i found a jacket on sierra that looks pretty much exactly like it, same 300 weight fleece, same extra protection on shoulders and elbows, pit zips - everything for $50! got it as a gift for someone for christmas and they love it.
here's the link:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/asp/base_no.38157/dept_id.L2~195/qx/product.htm

Just out of curiousity, how you know that the guy you see in the mall parking lot is not an outdoors-type person? I think 75% of the clothes I wear is come from Campmor, REI, or EMS, and I can't speak for anyone else here, but I can't afford to go out and buy an entirely seperate wardrobe for times when I'm not hiking or whatever. I'm just having trouble understanding it, that's all. Hopefully someone can explain it to me.

It really irked me when I saw a guy in a 3-piece suit hiking up one of the trails the other day. I know darn well he was not a lawyer so I don’t know why he was trying to pass himself off as one. He was muttering something about injunctions and tort reform and convictions as he went by me. He even went so far as to have Ralph Lauren straps on his crampons and Gucci double boots. Who does he think he is fooling anyway? He’s probably just another climbing instructor trying to pass himself off as something he isn’t.

Silly? Yes, but so is your indignation. Spend your energy on something positive and relevant.

JohnL
:) ;) :rolleyes:

It Really Does Happen

>>> It really irked me when I saw a guy in a 3-piece suit hiking up one of the trails the other day. <<<

One of my brothers was descending the Chimney Pond trail and passed a man wearing a suit, shiny black street shoes, and carrying a briefcase.

He was an insurance agent and he had been sent there to investigate a lightning strike incident.

He wasn't having a very nice time in the shoes and was probably looking forward to the end of his work day so he could slip into his comfy hiking boots.

:cool:

Yeah it happens, but I'm with JohnL and Spencer - hey it's all about fun. If fun for some people is looking good - that's all right, too.

In my case I'm considered a weird-o. My colleagues think UI'm nuts, but now I have two groups of Outdoor ED. and kids are wearing the same clothes as I.

These are the good years.

Doug

giggy you need 2 things, first to get a life, then to drop that east coast attitude, try going somewhere else besides NewEngland and seeing and doing something different, then the patheticness of your life will receed and you will begin to mind your own friggin business. :mad:

sierra said:
giggy you need 2 things, first to get a life, then to drop that east coast attitude, try going somewhere else besides NewEngland and seeing and doing something different, then the patheticness of your life will receed and you will begin to mind your own friggin business. :mad:

Woah! Talk about attitude.

I think this thread was just meant to be light fun. Don't get all righteous on the thread-starter.

ok - can't sit back and take this level of bull.

sierra - you need to not judge people one post that was designed for some fun.

I think you need to relax a bit and this I find this way more "attitude" than anything my post said.

I need to "get a life" - ok - I am going to find one -

thanks for the insult.

yea - maybe it was a crazy/stupid thread - but have fun with it - if you don't like the thread - don't read it.

I had a great laugh at some of the business suit stuff and it made some light fun of the matter.

you don't know me, where I have been, and you never will - so friggin relax.

returning to my "pathetic life".

Last edited:
ahh just let it go giggy....i'm sure you did have this irk as with most people but you didn't expect it to spin out of control like this...i didn't read any of the posts just because of that reason (spinning out of control)..

the only ones i read was your first one and last one.... i hope you've learned something though, this board doesn't take too well to sarcasim or fun....really i was surprised the thread was allowed to go on for so long....

i do hope though, that this thread can be looked at from another perspective and this board can get into a mode of having fun and some sarcasim....

another perspective...

One "other perspective" could be to actually read the entire thread and see that there was actually a lot of fun going on here w/o much rancor. Other than that, AdackR, you were dead on!*

* To be taken in the spirit of "having fun and some sarcasim...."

afka_bob said:
One "other perspective" could be to actually read the entire thread and see that there was actually a lot of fun going on here w/o much rancor. Other than that, AdackR, you were dead on!*

* To be taken in the spirit of "having fun and some sarcasim...."

yeah, so i guess i did read a few random posts from each page....and then the last one that giggy quoted...

ummm, sure looked like fun to me....

It never pisses me off - sometimes it amuses me. There is a store near where I live, that has some great technical clothing (some Arctyrx and Patagonia stuff) that I've been drooling over and can't afford) - sold as fashion. The idea that many people are paying for qualities that can't benefit from gives me a good laugh. But then again, how many people are thrilled to have a car that is designed to specs way beyond what they need - and get a thrill that it could take them to 200 mph and still handle well.

I think the only downside is the problem, much discussed already, that brands that make great outdoor gear also make stuff that looks like great outdoor gear and it can be hard to tell what properties some fabric has and in some stores the people can't tell you (especially if you are browsing Goodwill).

Status
Not open for further replies.