Pemi Loop - CCW Dayhike, 8/31/2013

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
August 31, 2013: Pemi Loop – CCW Dayhike

Trails: Wilderness Trail, Bondcliff Trail (end-to-end), Twinway, Garfield Ridge Trail (end-to-end), Franconia Ridge Trail (end-to-end), and Osseo Trail

Summits: Bondcliff, Bond, Guyot, S. Twin, Garfield, Lafayette, Truman, Lincoln, Little Haystack, Liberty, Flume

Hikers: Trail Trotter (Sue) and me

I believe the first time I heard of a Pemi Loop was a few years ago while traveling from a hike with Sue and Fitz. I don’t recall where we hiked that day but I remember Fitz was driving and he mentioned the Backpacker Magazine article. He already knew Sue and I had a preference for long, multi-peak hikes and told us about the article. I believe my response at the time was “that sounds like a good list”. That’s when it started; if you want to point a finger in any direction, it was Fitz. Fitz can also take credit for moving me from cardiac rehab streetwalking to mountain hiking; Fitz is my PCP. I dug into my Pemi Loop due diligence to learn more about the hike.

For the past few years Sue and I have been interested in doing this hike. Unfortunately, the scheduling didn’t work out on the first year due to other “big” hikes on the list and in subsequent years I was experiencing significant problems with foot pain that would have prevented me from finishing such an effort. Knowing there’s a high probability of not being able to finish, I won’t start. This year I focused on finding a solution to the foot pain roadblock and it seems that I had success. Sue and I seriously discussed this hike again multiple times, recently we decided the date, and started into the plan.

For me, the plan started a couple weeks ahead of the actual hike and focused on mental preparation. Like most previous big hikes, I expected to finish this hike on mental strength (aka - stubbornness and determination) because my physical capabilities were long gone. We both made some adjustments to our trail food selections and/or amount.

Late on Friday we met for the drive to Lincoln Woods. Our plan was to get started early, and go for it. We arrived at Lincoln Woods on plan, took care of our final hike prep, and started walking. Lincoln Woods is a pretty quiet place in the middle of the night. On our way out of the trailhead area we both got a few pictures but the cameras generally stayed packed in their cases until daylight arrived, several hours later.

Headlight hiking is fun; the world shrinks to the size of the headlight beam but there are noises. The source can usually not be seen, but there are still noises. Just hike and don’t worry – there’s nothing in the woods at night that wasn’t there during the day; except maybe for an occasional hiker or two on a crazy hike plan.

We completed the initial warm-up on Wilderness Trail to Bondcliff Trail without more than one or two “necessary” stops and made the turn. We made pretty good time to the trail junction and weren’t trying to force anything. I think we both realized we needed to be careful with available energy – it was going to be a very long day.

The mud pits on lower Bondcliff Trail are worse than the last time we were there only a few weeks earlier but we were able to make our way through with clean and dry boots. After the pits the trail starts the climb to Bondcliff. Roughly halfway between wilderness Trail and the upper crossing of Black Brook it happened. We were hit with trailside noises like I’ve never heard before. It was loud, aggressive, and seemed like we were to be attacked at any moment. I simply told myself it was someone’s noisy lapdog – what other kind is there? Thirty or forty yards later everything was again quiet and we were back to enjoying our wilderness experience. From the lapdog to the scramble below the summit we hiked in quiet darkness.

As we reached the treeline my headlight batteries were running down and the unit signaled with some flashing. I adjusted to a lower intensity level and was able to avoid pulling out my second light. Above the trees, hiking in cloudy conditions with poor lighting, the trail is a little less obvious. Two sets of eyes were able to do the job and we made our way to the summit, got a few pictures, and continued our trek. We could see the photo pedestal at Bondcliff but there was no point to waste any time there; neither of us had the equipment or experience to get really good pictures in those conditions.

Dawn was breaking but sunrise was still a while off. I expected to be on Bond when sunrise arrived but it wouldn’t matter due to the overcast conditions. We worked our way along Bondcliff trail north and the endless rocks started to occupy my thoughts. I recalled one of the points mentioned in the Backpacker article was “long stretches of abusively rocky trail”; yeah, it’s in there. A lot of this hike is mental along with the physical. Eventually I was able to shift my focus to the sections of trail that were more friendly and mental life got better; suddenly the rocky sections were only rocky sections – no big deal.

We cleared Bond in clouds getting glimpses to Franconia Ridge and Mount Flume (our final peak); and then looking north over Guyot to S. Twin (our next peaks). We had some walking to do and couldn’t afford the luxury of standing around to enjoy the sights. When we passed over the summit of Guyot we were enjoying bright sunshine, broken clouds, large patches of blue sky, and terrific views. Of course, we grabbed a few pictures but stayed with our plan. Soon we would reach the north end of Bondcliff Trail and change to Twinway.

The section of Twinway leading over S. Twin and down to Garfield Ridge Trail cost us some time. It is a very wet, very muddy area. The rocks were unpredictably slippery. We slowed our pace to avoid problems. As we were hiking toward S. Twin we crossed paths with our first of many hikers and runners for the day; occasionally we stopped for a brief visit but most often it was a friendly greeting and keep walking. By the time we hit S. Twin the sun was gone, overcast conditions returned, and views were limited. A couple quick pictures and we were on our way down to Garfield Ridge Trail.

Descending from S. Twin on wet rocks isn’t too difficult, just be careful with foot placement. We both managed to make the trip without any problems along the way. We had a lot of company on this section of trail. Everybody that stayed at the hut on Friday night must have decided to head for S. Twin at about the same time. It seemed like we passed several distinct groups. We reached Garfield Ridge Trail and headed to the hut for our first planned water stop. While we were there I also made a quart of Gatorade, drank it and had some food. Sue pulled out a surprise treat – peanut butter squares! Lots of chocolate, lots of peanut butter, lots of energy, really good! We avoided temptation, packed our things, and took off.

Next up was an east-west hike of the Garfield Ridge Trail. The expected tests were climbing Garfield and then Lafayette. The trail is only a little over 6.5 miles, but it’s a rough 6.5 miles. There are lots of PUDs, mud, slick rocks, and much more. Sue and I have hiked this trail a number of times and knew what to expect. In this case, experience saved us from the demoralizing effect the trail has to offer. Yeah, it’s a tough trail but there are many tough trails in The Whites, each with its own character; Garfield Ridge Trail has character. On the way across the ridge we made our second and final planned water stop at the Garfield Ridge Trail tent site spring. I can’t go past that spring without making a stop for at least a quick drink – that’s really good water. While we were there we met some through hikers; Sue shared her ace bandage, and treats (including the remaining peanut butter squares). She could have at least done this when I wasn’t looking. The others were very appreciative of everything.

After a couple minutes on Garfield we were headed to climb Lafayette. Along the way we bumped into another pair of hikers on a similar plan for the day in the opposite direction. They had their sights set on Galehead Hut for water and a break. We continued west and now up on Garfield Ridge Trail climbing Lafayette to the junction with Franconia Ridge Trail. It was starting to feel really good; when we hit the trail junction we would be at the top of our hike with more downhill ahead of us than anything else. There would also certainly be some pretty good cell coverage there and I could send off the promised hike update to my Base camp. Below the treeline we met a group of backpackers on a similar route plan as ours but they were expecting it to be a three-day trip, not a dayhike. Later, Sue and I discussed it and decided if you’re going to hike a Pemi Loop it needs to be a continuous hike, otherwise it’s just backpacking in the mountains.

Continued.......

Last edited:
Part #2...........

Soon, we made our way up the wet slabs leading to Lafayette, sent the hike update, and started our end-to-end hike of the Franconia Ridge Trail. As it turns out, conditions since Garfield have been pretty wet and the cameras have remained generally packed away to stay dry. Sue took on the responsibility of team photographer for the remainder of the hike.

By now it’s getting late in the day; visibility is very poor, we had a light warm wind from the west, and tired was moving in. To a degree we both probably zoned out a little and focused on simply hiking the ridge. Somewhere just north of Lincoln we met another pair headed north and asking how far to Lafayette. They were the final hikers we met.

Soon we cleared Lincoln, hiked past The Gargoyles, and Little Haystack. From there to the end we knew the weather would no longer be a concern because the remainder of the hike is generally sheltered all the way out. A couple more peaks to clear and we would be on our exit hike. We quietly made our way through the rocky descent south of Little Haystack without a problem (we were both having concerned thoughts on this section with rubbery legs), the section of mud pits leading south to the climb of Liberty, and finally to the junction with Liberty Spring Trail. I always look forward to this milestone along the way when hiking Franconia Ridge Trail. From here to Liberty is a very short walk and the trip on to Flume is an easy ~mile after.

Stubbornness and determination had teamed up a while back to finish this one and I was just going along for the experience. We all made our way up and over Liberty being extra careful on the wet ledge leaving for Flume; it was way too late for any mishaps. Successfully off Liberty it was a pleasant walk to Flume and on to the end of Franconia Ridge Trail. Finally, we reached Osseo Trail and our exit hike.

Osseo would lead us down to Wilderness Trail and back to Lincoln Woods. A great amount of work has been done to Osseo Trail; I assume as a result of storm damage possibly from Tropical Storm Irene. Some of the erosion control in the sections of ladders seems different from my last visits to the trail. We descended and both seemed to be a little confused by the appearance of the trail. Below the ladders, the switchbacks were familiar and the exit from the switchbacks onto the old woods road was as expected. Soon, the trail turned and left the woods road. Hmmm, this is new. Evidently a large section of trail has been relocated, again possibly due to storm damage.

Suddenly we found ourselves hiking unfamiliar territory but the trail was easy to follow and we went with it. After doing some wandering on a ridge as it descended, the trail again landed on an old woods road. We kept walking and wondering. Eventually our concern got the better of us and we decided to back track to see if we had missed a turn or in some other way drifted off course. We re-climbed to an area above where the trail re-joined the woods road and stopped to think about what we had. Eventually, the only conclusion that seemed to make sense was a trail relocation around severe erosion caused on the woods road by Tropical Storm Irene. Once back on the woods road we were back on the old route and headed to Wilderness Trail. As it turned out that was the situation. We simply followed the old woods road that eventually degraded to a normal hiking trail and finally landed on Wilderness Trail. From here it’s a short 1.5 miles to Lincoln Woods.

What a day, what a dayhike! I can’t think of a single person I’d rather do such a hike with than Sue. Thank you. And, thank you for the peanut butter squares. Can you imagine the way I felt when you gave the last of them away on Garfield? That’s okay, I’m pretty sure there will be more some day.

Over the past year as I focused on dealing with my foot problems I was concerned that my opportunity for completing this hike might have passed and I was too old for it. It’s really great to see there is still some left in the tank.

Thanks again Sue. So, whatcha want to do now - #10?

I’ve posted some pictures from the day. The slideshow and gallery include pictures from both of us – Thanks Sue.

BIGEarl's Pictures

Straight to the slideshow

:)

Last edited:
Awesome job to both of you!!!! What a great experience and accomplishment. Glad to hear you still have it in you Earl.

Congratulations Earl, as someone who wimped out on this day hike for this year (due to foot and knee issues), I'm impressed and agree it is at least 80% mental. In planning for next year, which section(s) of Garfield Ridge Trail would you recommend checking out first, in order to know what to expect as you suggested? And why did you choose counter-clockwise? I did the part ascending So Twin and didn't see it as an issue, plus you get to take a break at the hut first.

Julie

Congrats to you and Sue! Glad you were able to overcome the foot issues and anything else to make this big hike a success.

my hat is off to you two, I just ran the numbers and that is one crazy day hike

Awesome job you two! I often wonder if I will ever pull that off. You've inspired me. I have to ask though, did you finish before dark? I imagine mental fatigue would set in quickly once the sun went down.

Awesome job to both of you!!!! What a great experience and accomplishment. Glad to hear you still have it in you Earl.
Thanks Chris.

Me too! :D

Congratulations Earl, as someone who wimped out on this day hike for this year (due to foot and knee issues), I'm impressed and agree it is at least 80% mental. In planning for next year, which section(s) of Garfield Ridge Trail would you recommend checking out first, in order to know what to expect as you suggested? And why did you choose counter-clockwise? I did the part ascending So Twin and didn't see it as an issue, plus you get to take a break at the hut first.

Julie
Nearly all of this is personal opinion and point of view.

I’d say the section of Garfield Ridge Trail that’s the toughest is between Gale River Trail and Garfield summit. The PUDs, mud, and wet slabs will work to really ruin your day. On the other hand, in this section there are also views south over The Pemi, back to Galehead, The Twins, and Galehead Hut that are really terrific; staying focused on these positive aspects always help get me through this section.

Garfield to Lafayette is tough mainly due to the big elevation loss coming off Garfield and then the even bigger climb to Lafayette. Throw in the wet conditions we had and it’s tougher. I think the wet conditions worked to our benefit by forcing us to stay focused on the hike and staying upright.

Clockwise versus counter-clockwise? David Metsky went counter-clockwise and that’s good enough for me.

I’ve read reports that state hitting Lafayette late in the hike is a great boost; it’s the high point of the hike and mostly downhill from there. There is still more elevation to gain but the major amount has been climbed at that point.

In reality, I think it’s a coin toss.

I agree, climbing S. Twin is no big deal. The footing is always good at any time of the year. It’s just a matter of finding your pace and doing the climb.

;)

Congrats to you and Sue! Glad you were able to overcome the foot issues and anything else to make this big hike a success.
Thanks Summerset,

It’s very satisfying to think about this the way we both have over the past few years; and then finally go for it and find success on our first try.

:cool:

my hat is off to you two, I just ran the numbers and that is one crazy day hike
Thanks Keith,

Yeah – crazy!

:eek:

Awesome job you two! I often wonder if I will ever pull that off. You've inspired me. I have to ask though, did you finish before dark? I imagine mental fatigue would set in quickly once the sun went down.
Ian,

The book time on this was ~20.5 hours and we used all of it, plus a little. I think we both enjoy headlight hiking a lot and there is nothing negative that came from it. If anything, mental fatigue sets in a little just before turning on the lights. When we finally gave in and switched on the lights it was a huge boost. Suddenly we had visibility. The lights were cutting through the clouds and fog but the brightness and visibility for foot placement made everything better. It was back to “We’re having fun now!”.

Last edited:
I was concerned that my opportunity for completing this hike might have passed and I was too old for it. It’s really great to see there is still some left in the tank.:)

That gas must be high octane, Earl.:D Congrats to you and Sue on a tremendous accomplishment, one that I hope you reflect on often. Looking forward to hiking with you again, hopefully in the near future.

Marty

In case it wasn't noticed.......

I’ve posted some pictures from the day. The slideshow and gallery include pictures from both of us – Thanks Sue.

BIGEarl's Pictures

Straight to the slideshow

That gas must be high octane, Earl.:D Congrats to you and Sue on a tremendous accomplishment, one that I hope you reflect on often. Looking forward to hiking with you again, hopefully in the near future.

Marty
Thanks Marty,

Every once in a while I zone out for a little daydreaming. Often it involves thinking back on the hiking Sue and I have done together and the wonderful memories of good times and not-so-good times. We've been through some tough places together. There's no doubt in my mind that this one will be a regular visit on my occasional trip down memory lane.

I agree - see you again soon, I hope.

BIGEarl, first, well done to both of you! I am quite intrigued with any re-route that has been done on Osseo. We were just working on the trail in July and nothing of the sort had been done. I'm checking in to see with the other agencies what may have been accomplished. Thank goodness someone keeps me in the loop!

Nice going you two ! Well done !
Thanks, Clay.

BIGEarl, first, well done to both of you! I am quite intrigued with any re-route that has been done on Osseo. We were just working on the trail in July and nothing of the sort had been done. I'm checking in to see with the other agencies what may have been accomplished. Thank goodness someone keeps me in the loop!
Fisher Cat, Thank you.

I am not suggesting something has been done in the past few months regarding a re-route.

In checking my records, the last time we hiked Osseo Trail was September 12, 2009. At that time, the trail below the switchbacks exited the switchbacks and stayed with the logging road and railroad grades as described in the White Mountain Guide, printed edition (27th Edition is the only one I have and the only one I have ever used).

Now, the situation seems different. Descending, the trail exits the switchbacks on the old logging road grade (just as I remember) and soon leaves that grade exiting left and wanders as it descends a ridge. Eventually, the trail returns to the old grades for the remainder of the descent.

I am assuming the relocation was done to address trail erosion possibly caused by Tropical Storm Irene, but there could be another reason. Also, I believe there have been other storms that could have also caused significant damage in the time since 9/12/2009. Again, this is an assumption on my part.

The re-route could have been done any time from late 2009 until now. Clearly, the current route does not agree with the route described in the White Mountain Guide (27th Edition). My memory of the trail is consistent with the description in the White Mountain Guide.

Last edited:
OK, got it, now I understand. Except for 2 ancient AMC guides, I only have the 28th & 29th myself. I can personally vouch that there has not been any reroute since 2006, the date we switched from maintaining other trails to the Osseo.

OK, got it, now I understand. Except for 2 ancient AMC guides, I only have the 28th & 29th myself. I can personally vouch that there has not been any reroute since 2006, the date we switched from maintaining other trails to the Osseo.
That's a little confusing.

The trail route as described in the White Mountain Guide 27th edition is the trail route that existed on my last visit back in September 2009. Now, there is a pretty good section that is a re-route a short distance below the turn to the switchbacks. Currently, the route as described in the 27th edition is not in-line with the route that exists today.

Something changed between September 2009 and now.

One of these days I'll have some time to kill and I'll do a little exploring to see what's between the two ends of the bypassed section of road, and try to get a sense of the distance involved.

I probably need to see about getting my hands on one of the newer editions of the guidebook and compare the trail descriptions.

At this point it is more a matter of curiosity than anything else.

That's a little confusing.

The trail route as described in the White Mountain Guide 27th edition is the trail route that existed on my last visit back in September 2009. Now, there is a pretty good section that is a re-route a short distance below the turn to the switchbacks. Currently, the route as described in the 27th edition is not in-line with the route that exists today.

Something changed between September 2009 and now.

Earl - when I read the above I scratched my head, wondering what you were referring to as I've done Flume via Osseo many times in the past 10 years and didn't recall any major re-routes over that time. So yesterday when I did the trail I kept close watch for any modifications, and noticed one possible change - about 1/3 mile below the turn for the switchbacks the trail did appear to deviate somewhat from the old road as it went over a small bump. As I was descending, I could see the old road slightly below, contouring around the bump rather than going over it as the trail now does.

This morning I checked my Garmin GPS log files, and found I had an old one from 2004. I then searched Wikiloc, and downloaded 3 more, from 2008, 2009 and 2011. I then overlaid the 4 tracs, giving each a separate color. Sure enough, sometime between 2004 and 2008, a minor re-route was done in this section. My hunch it that the trail maintainers decided it was easier to go over the bump than to fight gravity and continually remove the dirt/debris which may have slid into the trail - but that's pure conjecture on my part.

It's not a long re-route - perhaps 1 or 200 yards, and maybe 50' to 75' higher than the old road, but it does deviate from the road for a bit.

Other than that, all 4 tracs are within a few feet of each other from Lincoln Woods to the summit.

Last edited:
Earl - when I read the above I scratched my head, wondering what you were referring to as I've done Flume via Osseo many times in the past 10 years and didn't recall any major re-routes over that time. So yesterday when I did the trail I kept close watch for any modifications, and noticed one possible change - about 1/3 mile below the turn for the switchbacks the trail did appear to deviate somewhat from the old road as it went over a small bump. As I was descending, I could see the old road slightly below, contouring around the bump rather than going over it as the trail now does.

This morning I checked my Garmin GPS log files, and found I had an old one from 2004. I then searched Wikiloc, and downloaded 3 more, from 2008, 2009 and 2011. I then overlaid the 4 tracs, giving each a separate color. Sure enough, sometime between 2004 and 2008, a minor re-route was done in this section. My hunch it that the trail maintainers decided it was easier to go over the bump than to fight gravity and continually remove the dirt/debris which may have slid into the trail - but that's pure conjecture on my part.

It's not a long re-route - perhaps 1 or 200 yards, and maybe 50' to 75' higher than the old road, but it does deviate from the road for a bit.

Other than that, all 4 tracs are within a few feet of each other from Lincoln Woods to the summit.
Hey Kevin, thanks.

I’m sure we’re both referring to the same place.

Had we run into it ~12 hours earlier things would have most likely been different. As it stood, we had been getting our butts kicked for the better part of ~24 hours (not complaining, I wanted to do it); endless sections of rocky trail, periods of heavy rain, slippery conditions because of it, rubbery legs, and simply a tough hike. I’m sure at that point small seemed big for many things. We were seeing something about the trail that didn’t agree with our memory of it and were a little confused by it. Our world had shrunk to the size of our headlight beams. Thanks for clearing things up.

Whatever the reason that prompted the change, the folks that did it sure did a nice job on the erosion control/stone stairs where the diversion re-joins the old road. That alone took some work.

When we returned to the area I noticed the old route (roadway) was plugged with brush, a common approach to shutting down a section of trail. Is it reasonable to think the roadway wasn’t blocked with brush until after 2009? It still seems to me; even on our last time through the area when descending we stayed with the roadway once we left the switchbacks and didn’t take a diversion from it at all.

Still curious about this but no longer confused.

Thanks again, Kevin.

That's good stuff Kevin, I'll have to look for that myself. The previous maintainer had the trail long enough for his 20 year recognition, so maybe early 2000's fits into the window.

...When we returned to the area I noticed the old route (roadway) was plugged with brush, a common approach to shutting down a section of trail. Is it reasonable to think the roadway wasn’t blocked with brush until after 2009?

Well, I suppose it's possible, but from the 2008 trac it's questionable. However, if you and Fischer Cat would like a copy of the file I created with the 4 tracs, just PM me your email addresses. You'll likely need MapSource or BaseCamp, although I can send it in .gpx format.

Yesterday I was cussing at the steepness of that particular bump on the descent - I think there are a total of three before it finally remains downhill. I wanted to get out, despite the heat and humidity, and Flume via Osseo provides 3K' of elevation over mostly gradual, moderate grades. It was most pleasant up high, but descending we found it really uncomfortable below 2,500'.

I sincerely doubt the roadway was brushed in after 2009. If it was, I am at a complete loss as towards who did it, it sure wasn't us. After talking to USFS/AMC, there have been no slated projects on that trail for many years, not even any patchwork. If anybody did it, it was a very helpful Zorro-like public servant.

Having hiked that trail at least 3x a year for the past 6 years, I am even at a complete loss as towards any prospective area this is. But that just shows that even the experienced eye can miss something more obvious to others.

We have only had to brush in one area, and it is closer to the entrance after you complete the pull away-from the brook, passing through the 'hollow' as we call it, where the embankments remain from where the narrow-gauge ran through, and they had to blast. At the point where the trail dips down quickly to the left, then pulls up again, there is an old tote road that intersects the trail, coming in on hiker's right. To the experienced hiker, the correct way is easily detected, but we feared for those less experienced, they could make a wrong turn, so we brushed it in.

That being said, there are more tote road intersections on this trail than you can imagine. They are far more noticeable in the spring and fall. One of the best, breaks left early in the hike, and is clearly seen as its path is graded and about 10-12 feet across, and leads down to the brook. We followed it and found a large amount of abandoned logging tools, and likely found the counterforts that indicated a crossing to the other side.

Many may also notice the larger, sandy, flat, almost plateau like plain halfway up to the switchbacks, just where the grade starts to climb leading to the switchbacks. Careful examination of this area revealed that it was once a staging area for timber. Tote roads come in like spokes, and if you examine the rock bulwarks that surround the perimeter, not only do they look out of place, as if they were moved, but look real close and you find telltale signs of blasting to clear the area, level it as much as possible, and use it for staging.

Its great stuff!

Last edited: