What do you think about this gear?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrentD22

Reaction score
Campmor Goose Down 0d Mummy Sleeping Bag

Merrell Winterra Insulated Hiking Boots

Wyoming Wear Polartec Powerstretch Powersock

Katadyn Exstream Water Purifier

The North Face Bipolar Gloves

I'm about to order this stuff and would like to know if anyone had good or bad experiances with the above gear.

Brent,

I haven't personally used any Campmor sleeping bags or the Merrell Winterras, but I have heard nothing but good things regarding Campmor products, and quite a few folks here on VFTT have sworn by their Merrell Winterras.

Regarding the Wyoming Wear Polartec Powerstretch Powersocks, I think dense socks make more sense. I say this because anything under (or around) your foot is going to be subject to a lot of pressure, which will compress the material beneath it, and hence decrease the insulation it offers. I prefer dense weaves of wool or polyester for this reason. I don't have any personal experience with Powerstretch socks, but I can't help but think that the fabric will be compressed very easily under and around your foot.

Regarding the Katadyn Exstream Water Purifier, you may want to check out the Eddie Bauer Personal Water Filtration Bottle ($9.95 on Sierra Trading Post) as an alternative. With the Exstream, because the intake is at the bottom of the bottle, you'll have to suck the water through the filters. It might seem trivial, but I have been told there is a fair amount of resistance encountered when doing this. With the Eddie Bauer Personal Water Filtration Bottle, the intake is at the top of the bottle, which means it can be turned upside down and squeezed to get water. No sucking required. It also means that you can turn it upside down and squirt water into a pot to make dinner, rather than sucking the water through a straw and then spitting it out into the pot.

I am not familiar with the North Face Bipolar Gloves.

John

If the gear is for winter camping you don't need the water filter.

As someone who got hepatitis A twice when a kid, I ONLY use the First Need water purifier. Other filters have claimed to block viruses, then get recalled or get taken off the market.

Some people say they're hard to pump. These people, in my opinion, ought to stay home or, better yet, get to the gym.

Doug

you don't need a filter in the winter b/c the residual water left in the filter freezes after you use it for the first time. the filter is then useless for the rest of the trip.

bring extra fuel and boil your water.

spencer

BrentD22 said:
Why would I not need a water filter for winter use? The cold does not kill the little buggies in the water. Maybe I misread your post.

It's because a water filter will freeze in the winter rendering it useless. In addition to that when the water freezes it will widen the pours in the filter, which will reduce the filter’s ability to screen out what you don't want in your water. In winter you're better off boiling your water.

BrentD22 said:
Why would I not need a water filter for winter use? The cold does not kill the little buggies in the water. Maybe I misread your post.

Use either iodine or boil your water in the winter.

spencer said:
you don't need a filter in the winter b/c the residual water left in the filter freezes after you use it for the first time. the filter is then useless for the rest of the trip.

If its below freezing, not only will the residual water left in the filter free and render the filter useless the rest of the trip, but the freezing water in the filter will cause the filter to expand and break, possibly rendering it useless forever!

Well now...

That makes sense! Either way I like the purchase of the water filter. My current filter is not being made anymore and I can not find the filter disks for it. I do however appreciate the advice!

So far the last several winter trips I've had enough water on my body when starting the trip to last the first day and only have had to filter water that night and enough for the next day. Good thing too because from what you say my filter would not have worked the next day correctly possibly exposing myself to nasty buggies.

Winterras

I have the Winterras and they're fine. They're stiff and work extremely well with my G10's. They're pretty warm (certainly better then my summer leathers) and once my feet warm up in them, they stay really toasty. My feet take a long time to warm up though so if it's cold out (-20F) I'll be stomping around a lot. I can't say how they compare warmth-wise to say, plastic boots. But as far as crampon compatibility (and snowshoe for that matter), they work well.

-Dr. Wu

Just as an aside re: melting snow for water, if you run the water through a coffee filter as you fill your bottles, it removes all of the pine taste.

expat said:
Just as an aside re: melting snow for water, if you run the water through a coffee filter as you fill your bottles, it removes all of the pine taste.

C'mon, that's half the fun of winter water! You never know WHAT you may get! Little extra protein, little flavor..
:)

Winterras

Both my self and my partner have these and I am always recommending them for a good winter hiking boot. they have everything you need; waterproof, very well insulated (400 gms of thinsulate), toe and heel protections, vibram sole, the lip in the back that works w/ your snowshoes and helps w/ a universal type crampon. they do not accept step-in crampons tho but those g-10's don't need the front crampon lip do they? they are really very good quality for the money. but the 400 gms of insulate may be too much for anyone who really gets hot feet. but i have worn them for my 3rd season now and they still look new and kept me toasy warm last winter in those -20 temps! plus merrell has been around for a long time and backs the quality of their products. if you decide to get them i can tell you how to save a few bucks on them ordering online unless you know of them on sale somewhere.

EMS Down Bag

Hey BrentD22, I have owned just two bags in my life. Both are EMS down bags. One is rated for 25 degrees F and my winter bag is rated for 5. I have slept in winter conditions as cold as -35F with this last bag, but I also wore my down jacket and had a hot water bottle, etc. It is a bare bones bag- without a draft collar. I also feel it is too roomy inside-too much dead air to heat up. But what ever someone says, remember everyone is different. Also, know how to improve the rating of your bag, like the use of a vapor barrier.

Truth be told: I am ready to up grade and I have, after 9 years of winter camping, some very specific ideas about the bag that I want. But for a beginning bag I thought that these EMS bags were good choices. They were cheap and took alot of abuse.