What (if any) list are you working on?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What list (if any) are you working on?

• NH 48 - all seasons

Votes: 22 19.6%
  • NE 67 - all seasons

Votes: 9 8.0%
  • ADK 46 - all seasons

Votes: 25 22.3%
  • NE 100 Highest - all seasons

Votes: 13 11.6%
  • NE 100 Highest - winter

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • NH 48 - winter

Votes: 15 13.4%
  • ADK 46 - winter

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • NE 67 - winter

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • ADK 100 Highest - (all seasons or winter)

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Northeast 3k (all seasons or winter)

Votes: 9 8.0%

• Total voters

spencer

Reaction score
Maine Avatar: We could use some snow around here
Several years ago when I started on VFTT (certainly not since the very beginning, but close I think) the forums were pretty sparse in the winter.

Now it's one trip after another! Lots more trail conditions reports and folks asking for others to join up on hikes (I love the camaderie aspect that has really developed us into a club in the last few years).

So, I'm wondering if people are really whacking away at winter lists or if more people are just out hiking for the heck of it.

When I ask what list are you working on, I mean your primary list. For instance, I haven't finished the NE 67 (2 pesky VT peaks left) but I'm really working on the winter HH. A long shot is the 3k list which I keep track of, but I'm not really "working" on it.

I would vote Winter HH.

how about you all? I realize I don't have all the lists here, but the polls are liimited to 10 options. Sorry, Papabear, you'll have to vote for one of the other

by "all seasons" I mean 3 seasons.

spencer

Last edited:
Currently focusing on the NH 48 any season and getting as many during winter as I can :)

I'm sure to progress to other lists once the 48 are done.

If there were no lists I'd invent my own :)

Bob

Could You Add This List?

I'm not much of a list person, but I still like people who are ;)

But, could you add this list? I'm not working on it per say, and you don't get a badge or anything (I could e-mail Greg Slayden though and ask) as far as I know, but I really think it's a neat list. When you look at raised relief maps of the Northeast US, you really get a sense that this list is meaningful.

I'd like to do 2000' prominence, then 1500' prominence, then 1000' prominence. I think I'll stop there -- most 500' prominent peaks are going to be subpeaks of one of the others, I assume. It gives a pretty varied approach to the mountains of the Northeast US, all of which I love! Don't get me started on adding The Chic-Chocs, Torgats etc. so that you can have a "Northeast North America" list too. Haha, this is all coming from someone who is not a list person. I think I just like to have a list of all these great hills to walk! And this list gives a varied look at the whole Northeast.

Thanks!

-Dr. Wu

Postscript: I see where you wrote that you're limited to 10 things on the poll. Oh well, hopefully people will click on the link and see the list anyhow :eek:

Last edited:
Casually, the NH 4k Ski 48. One left to go... watch this space for an Isolation TR most likely in March.

dr_wu002 said:
... But, could you add this list? I'm not working on it per say, and you don't get a badge or anything (I could e-mail Greg Slayden though and ask) as far as I know, but I really think it's a neat list. When you look at raised relief maps of the Northeast US, you really get a sense that this list is meaningful.
Dr. Wu
I and a few others here are working on a related list, the New England Fifty Finest Which includes all the New England 2000' prominence peaks (not NY) plus a few more to make 50. (Note the definition of prominence that Roy uses differs slightly from what Greg uses, so the list order is slightly different.) I'm happy to report I've done 37 thus far. Personally, I expect to also throw in the 8 or 9 in NY so you might say I'm working on that list as well. That's what Spencer was talking about in the first post about my list not being on his list list. And Spencer and I have a return date on The Traveler when it's not 40 MPH winds and cold rain, right Spence?

Anyway, if you like prominence, check out This site which tells everything you ever wanted to know about the subject and more.

Pb

Last edited:
dr_wu002 said:
But, could you add this list?
thats the one i'm working on also (P2K) - should be the best one, since all of these are "on top of the world" - many 4000 footers are surrounded by other 4000 footers - but all the P2Ks that i have been on so far... you are above it all!

Thanks Papa Bear! I've seen that list before. I'm not actually "doing" this list but I have about 1/2 the mountains on it. I think that it's neat because it provides an equal distribution throughout the Northeast -- even in NH, the peaks on the list aren't limited to The Whites. It would be senseless to focus solely on the list (can you imagine just doing Washington but never bothering to visit Adams because it's not on "the list"??) but it almost provides you with an evenly spaced grid to look at, find the high point for each space, and explore the rest of that region.

Hopefully we'll get to meet on the trails sometime. You seem like someone that I'd really like to chat with -- especially about the Torngats.

Best Regards,

Dr. Wu

Last edited:
Wu, thanks for posting the link to that fascinating peakbagger site. I now remember you discussing prominence during the hike the other day.
As for the poll, I'll soon complete the Catskill 3500 basic requirements, which is kind of the Associates Degree of Northeast peakbagging. I hope to start work on my Bachelors in the ADKS this spring and summer. Then maybe someday the PHD-the NE 115. For now though, I'm just havin' fun and learnin'.

Matt

I'm working on my NH48 winter list but I'm not limiting myself to just those peaks.
MEB

Working on NH48 in Winter
Hundred Highest
NE4K's

NH48 Speed Record

I finished 'working' and am now having fun!! :D

Edit: more fun ;)

Seven Summits - I'm at 0/7 :(

Other then that - Casually, ADK100 and possibly ADK46-B. No longer married to a list though, If in the course of working on them, they cease to be fun, then it's over. Only reason I even have a list is that they point me to other interesting places (and my current ones also satisfy my joy of bushwhacking).

Don't think I'll attack another list as hard as I did my first one. TOO CONSUMING.

Last edited:
I voted for ADK46 winter but really I'm working on all of them! By working on multiple lists I avoid the 'consuming' feeling of one list and get to vary where i go, what i look at,... I do admit that when I get close to finishing a list I become more focused on it but that is usually after years of chipping away at it.

I voted NE 67...

Even though I'm at 43 on the W46, and have peaks being checked off for an Every Season 46, and a Solo 46, it's hard to consider these lists, more like hometurf diary entries. As I near a finish I know I've got it and become less obsessed with just finishing, and more obsessed with finishing on my terms. Cherry picking glorious days, doing stellar repeats of favorites in between, and building toward a relaxed and smooth end to a satisfying and hard earned run. Then I can get obsessed for the first two-thirds of my next batch of lists. I hope to have more time to explore NH and ME this summer and fall. Two trips in the works are nice, but five would be nicer!

Even as we were coming down off of our 46th peak we swore of of lists. Too confining, too many other places to hike. We do have several of the 46 that are our "favorites" and some that are do-overs because of bad views.