What Will You Be Doing When You're 82 Years Old?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J&J

Reaction score
My neighbors Ray and Joan Chaput, both 82, are doing trail work! Ray and Joan have been performing trail work on the Cohos Trail in the Pittsburg area for the last three years. They are performing trail maintenance, building bog bridges and even relocating trails. I had an opportunity to work with them on a section of trail that will be a new relocation.

Ray has hiked the Cohos Trail twice, once northbound and once southbound, both times in his late 70's. Ray was also the second person to have completed the three thousand footers of NH. Ray even did a bushwhack with me two years ago when he was only 80. They are an amazing couple with incredible energy and have a section of the Cohos Trail named after them. Next time you hike part of the Cohos Trail, think of and thank Ray and Joan as they may have just maintained that section of trail you are hiking.

Ray and Joan.
P1290804.JPG

Before trail clearing.
P1290811.JPG

After trail clearing.
P1290842.JPG

Ray nailing up a trail blaze.
P1290845.JPG

Ray makes and paints these Cohos Trail blazes. He recently made up 600 of the blazes. He also makes up the little CT signs that appear in the last picture of this series. Nice work, Ray.
P1290848.JPG

Ray showing Joan where they are on the GPS track Ray laid out for this new section of trail.
P1290836.JPG

Ray still carries a big pack of assorted trail work stuff. He also hauled out a chainsaw in that pack. I offered to carry the chainsaw back because it was all uphill. Ray gladly accepted.
P1290850.JPG

I kid Ray that this is his favorite position.
P1290808.JPG

Ray and Joan's favorite trail. They actually didn't want this piece of trail named after them. They didn't feel they deserved it. Thank you, Ray and Joan, for your dedicated trail work!
P1290859.JPG

Attachments

• 01-P1290804.jpg
    01-P1290804.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 143
Nice! Use it or lose it!

I hope when I'm 82, in another 30 or 40 years, I can keep up with Audrey and Pat.

Love it! Tell them thanks for all their hard work! I walked from Dixville Notch to Jefferson this summer and the trail is amazingly well marked!

I've recently encountered an older fellow who is working on his 4's over 80, which he turned in March. Have seen him twice, once on S. Kinsman and more recently on Garfield. Both times he's been wearing a shirt that says "I'm older than dirt". Gotta luv it. I regularly hike with men and women in their 70's, but someone actively working on doing another round in their 80's is a new one for me.

Many years ago I was inspired by a fellow I met on the Ammo trail who was celebrating his 80th b-day with a hike to Washington. I vowed to do that also, but I still have 15 years to go.

Last edited:
I hiked with an old friend on Saturday. He's in his early 80s and was going to hike alone when friends spotted his car on 93N and encouraged him to join our group instead. Yay, Jerry!

Not hiking related but relevant to this thread, which I was reminded of last weekend as I witnessed "A Race For the Ages," an ultra event that took place in Manchester, Tennessee (yes, THAT Bonnaroo Manchester). This event featured mainly ultrarunners whose careers have spanned 3, 4, and 5 decades! Many of the senior runners partaking were champs of their day. Runners/walkers were allowed as many hours as they were old: e.g. a 70 Y/O was given 70 hours to go as far as she/he desired.

There were many, many inspiring efforts, including 3 octogenarians who made 100 miles, a record in and of itself, and quite a few 70-79 year olds who made it at least 100 miles, with the highest mileage going to a 74 Y/O who went 176 miles!

I logged "only" 57 miles in support mode as my husband, 66 years old, found the 100 mile mark after a summer of rather, er, unorthodox training, ~15 years after his last 100!!

Results here: http://mcmtiming.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/ARFTAFinal.htm

It amazes and inspires. Not so sure when exactly, but it was 10-15 years ago during a very high rate of snow winter in the Whites. One of those years where the snow was more like out west than the often ice encrusted snow we tend to see. I tried to make a trip to Washington but the road conditions severely slowed me down to the point it was impossible to make Washington and be back before dark. I don't hike in the dark solo in winter. So I took a jaunt up Avalon and came across a man who was 82 years old and loving the snow and the hike.

I remember being stunned and haven't forgot it. That single encounter inspires to this day. These people you brought to light must be a blast to be around. Reminds me of the don't slow down and you don't grow old saying.

I'm going to be doing the same thing I've been doing since I was a teenager. Hiking.

A very inspirational couple. I hope my wife and I are like them when (and if) we get to that age.