The Info on Mt. Cabot

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's an hour closer (each way) for almost everyone... except you, Peakbagger ;) It also makes for a reasonable trip to hike Cabot and Waumbek in the same day.

Tim

Doesn't seem a valid reason. Sure, it's shorter. But if that was the criteria, then we should be looking to close Mt. Kinsman Trail, anything in the Wild River area, Howker Trail etc. And, if you want to do two peaks, good on ya', but take the longer route and drive more. Still seems like a waste of time and energy to me for a non-essential matter.

Interesting read

Thanks for inquiring more about this

I too have always wondered what the actual back story to that was.

That said, I loved the Bunnell Notch Loop with Unknown Pond to bag Cabot and the Horn

Doesn't seem a valid reason. Sure, it's shorter. But if that was the criteria, then we should be looking to close Mt. Kinsman Trail, anything in the Wild River area, Howker Trail etc. And, if you want to do two peaks, good on ya', but take the longer route and drive more. Still seems like a waste of time and energy to me for a non-essential matter.
Note there is a hidden agenda here that Dug & I have sparred over in the past - he has connections to some trailhead landowners. His opinion is that by asserting rights to pass over private property you offend all private property owners. My opinion is that by allowing people to assert rights to property they may not own by violence you just encourage that behavior by others and may become unable to use trails the public has a clear right to. If Mr. Crane truly believes that he has the right to prohibit passage let him prove that in a court of law rather than by intimidating people - that he hasn't done so may indicate his true belief in the validity of his claims.

Yes Roy, we have battled, and my tune has changed some. I don't agree with what he's doing, but only that (right or wrong) many look at him as the good guy, and the distrust of all people down-country. My only point, at this stage, is...why bother? It seems wasteful at this stage to fight an unnecessary battle for a little hill with other access. The FS sees it as a battle not worth fighting...so let's move on.

I've never stopped using the Mount Cabot Trail from heaths gate and have used it 10 of the 11 times I climbed Cabot. I never got to meet Mr. Crane but have spoken to his neighbors that live next to the old gate. They didnt seem to like mr crane much and welcomed me to park on there property to use the trail.

Also, check out these Plan on the Coos registry of deeds site: follow the link and look up plan #3058 The surveying on this plan orderd by mr Crane clearly maps the Cabot Trail. http://nhdeeds.com/coos/CoDisclaimer.html

I'm curious if the Rosa Parks approach (Tresspassing, law enforcement getting involved and getting arrested, or better yet not arrested)would bring the conflict the legal forum that is needed to resolove whether he can close the right away or not? Anyone willing to get arrested? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I'm curious if the Rosa Parks approach (Tresspassing and getting arrested)would bring the conflict the legal forum that is needed to resolove whether he can close the right away or not? Anyone willing to get arrested? Anyone willing to get arrested? :rolleyes:

Is Mr Crane related to Mr. Bird?

that he hasn't done so may indicate his true belief in the validity of his claims

Not necessarily. Apparently he has not had to so why would he waste time and money in court. As surf notes, only way to force the issue is to "trespass" and see whether there is a public ROW/easement or not. If people have a beef with Mr. Crane they should confront him. Problem is no one wants to spend the time and money doing that (can't blame them) and as such there is a stalemate.

I, too, have used the Mt. Cabot Trail since the closure. I haven't had any contact with Mr. Crane but going that way has made me feel uncomfortable. It's a shame, because I think that it is nice trail. Not only that, look at the effort that went into creating it in the first place. I, for one, dislike seeing closures but especially questionable ones like this. I think that if anyone has a right to complain, it is the folk who live where hikers would park. On the other hand, I was excited to read about the new trail access to hikers up Mittersill. The Kinsman Ridge Trail up to Canon is a disgrace of a trail, the way it has been allowed to erode.

This is all news to me. I have not done Cabot since the 80's when I first did the 4k's. Now, my dog is doing the list, so I guess I have to go via Bunnel notch which to be honest, have know idea where it is or what to expect. I will find out and go that way, Im not about to go where Im not wanted.

Bunnel notch approaches the mountain from the East side from the York Pond fish Hatchery. It had a pretty poor reputation for several years as the FS was planning to close it and did not allow maintenance. The worst section was relocated about 10 to 15 years ago but it still follows a brook most of the way up and can be muddy. If the dog likes water and you don't mind a bit of mud it may be a better fit. It eventually joins the Mt Cabot trail at the base of the climb up the mountain from the notch.

My opinion is that by allowing people to assert rights to property they may not own by violence you just encourage that behavior by others and may become unable to use trails the public has a clear right to. If Mr. Crane truly believes that he has the right to prohibit passage let him prove that in a court of law rather than by intimidating people - that he hasn't done so may indicate his true belief in the validity of his claims.

Well said, Roy.

Bunnel notch approaches the mountain from the East side from the York Pond fish Hatchery. It had a pretty poor reputation for several years as the FS was planning to close it and did not allow maintenance. The worst section was relocated about 10 to 15 years ago but it still follows a brook most of the way up and can be muddy. If the dog likes water and you don't mind a bit of mud it may be a better fit. It eventually joins the Mt Cabot trail at the base of the climb up the mountain from the notch.

Hey thanks for the tip, my dog loves water and mud for that matter!

This is all news to me. I have not done Cabot since the 80's when I first did the 4k's. Now, my dog is doing the list, so I guess I have to go via Bunnel notch which to be honest, have know idea where it is or what to expect. I will find out and go that way, Im not about to go where Im not wanted.

The Bunnel Notch route has improved in the time I've hiked it, and the loop with the Horn is nice. The issue is really with peak baggers that need that peak but don't want to drive 2 extra hours to get the peak. It would be kind of like having to do the Carters from 113 instead of 16 in terms of convenience.

berlin shock?

hour closer to Boston and avoids Berlin which was quite a shock to most folks when it was in operation.(but still an hours extra drive from Mass).

what was the shock? a running mill town? I drive thru rumford, me and livermore falls, me quite often and I am not shocked by them, just mill towns, no big deal. personally I don't have a dog in this fight, I come from the east (auburn, me) and york pond is closer to me anyways.. just wondering if there's more to the berlin in the shock factor, than it being a mill town? do mill towns shock big city folk?

Definite thread drift but Berlin 30 years ago was far different than the Rumford of today. Until Berlin put the new boiler in in 1991 they used direct contact evaporators, that were energy savers but pumped out various sulfurous gases which are quite odorous even at minute levels. Locals got used to it but most folks from away didnt appreciate the odor from the pulp mill. I used to be an engineer there and after the new boiler went in it was tested and certified as the lowest total sulfur emissions in the US. After that major project I used to spend about 1 millions dollars a year installing systems to capture sulfur gases and in 1998, we put in a new stripping system that further reduced the odor. Unfortunately folks memories are rather long and even though the plant didnt smell anywhere near as previously, it still had the industrial look which doesnt jibe with most Mass folks impressions of what should be in the north woods. Several years after the pulp mill was shut down and then demolished there are some folks who still think they can smell the mill.

The other entirely valid complaint is that Rt 110 through Berlin was and still is easy to miss. Currently about half of it has been improved, but the other half has been delayed for years and is by 2015 should be a lot easier for folks to navigate. Due to long delay on the second half,many houses and apartments were run down for several years waiting for the state to finally buy them and tear them down.

Definite thread drift but Berlin 30 years ago was far different than the Rumford of today. Until Berlin put the new boiler in in 1991 they used direct contact evaporators, that were energy savers but pumped out various sulfurous gases which are quite odorous even at minute levels. Locals got used to it but most folks from away didnt appreciate the odor from the pulp mill. I used to be an engineer there and after the new boiler went in it was tested and certified as the lowest total sulfur emissions in the US. After that major project I used to spend about 1 millions dollars a year installing systems to capture sulfur gases and in 1998, we put in a new stripping system that further reduced the odor. Unfortunately folks memories are rather long and even though the plant didnt smell anywhere near as previously, it still had the industrial look which doesnt jibe with most Mass folks impressions of what should be in the north woods. Several years after the pulp mill was shut down and then demolished there are some folks who still think they can smell the mill.

The other entirely valid complaint is that Rt 110 through Berlin was and still is easy to miss. Currently about half of it has been improved, but the other half has been delayed for years and is by 2015 should be a lot easier for folks to navigate. Due to long delay on the second half,many houses and apartments were run down for several years waiting for the state to finally buy them and tear them down.

good info., thanx peakbagger, you are fountain of information! I grew up in standish, maine 2 towns away from s.d.warren in westbrook, we drove thru westbrook when we went into the big city "portland, maine" (I believe they were pulp also in the 80's) and we always rolled our windows up, what a pungent smell... I imagine similiar to what berlin was like.