Belknap Rage Killer - The "Valley View" Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisB

Reaction score
On a recent tootle in the Belknap Range (Piper N/S, Swett, etc.) we were beguiled into hiking the pleasant sounding "Valley View" loop on the N slope of Piper. Sure there were warning signs about cliffs and dangerous terrain for dogs blah blah blah. But HELLOOOO - This is the Belknap Rage, right? How bad can it be?

Well I'm here to tell you it's one bad-ass trail!

This evil little loop has it all: A boulder field (which we descended) just like the Fan in Huntington , a slippery traverse with a couple of 5.3 rock moves over ledges, and a poorly marked and unyielding 1/2 mile STEEP ascent to the summit of Piper.

Now I know I am not getting any younger, but is it me, or is this truly the hardest trail south of Central Gully?

CB

Last edited:
Thanks for the report. I'm always looking for killer hikes closer to MA, and have had the Belknaps on my radar for a while. Definitely gonna hit up this trail soon!

On a recent tootle in the Belknap Range (Piper N/S, Swett, etc.) we were beguiled into hiking the pleasant sounding "Valley View" loop on the N slope of Piper. Sure there were warning signs about cliffs and dangerous terrain for dogs blah blah blah. But HELLOOOO - This is the Belknap Rage, right? How bad can it be?

Well I'm here to tell you it's one bad-ass trail!

This evil little loop has it all: A boulder field (which we descended) just like the Fan in Huntington , a slippery traverse with a couple of 5.3 rock moves over ledges, and a poorly marked and unyielding 1/2 mile STEEP ascent to the summit of Piper.

Now I know I am not getting any younger, but is it me, or is this truly the hardest trail south of Central Gully?

CB

I am dying here! Yes, it is the hardest trail south of Central Gully, for sure!

The Guilford Public Library sells the most comprehensive and up-to-date maps for the entire Belknap Range.

It's definitely worth a stop if you approach from the Carriage Road side of the hill.

cb

You are correct. At least you knew what you were in for.
We debated many times to close that trail but by not having signs that may lure unsuspecting scramblers near the jcts. decided to keep it.
It is a challenge to be sure and pass at your own risk.
We will probably be chastised for having it or not.
Hal. BRATT Crew Leader.

You are correct. At least you knew what you were in for.
We debated many times to close that trail but by not having signs that may lure unsuspecting scramblers near the jcts. decided to keep it.
Hal. BRATT Crew Leader.

I was with Chris on that hellacious trail. It reminded me of Ice Gulch and Mahoosic Notch with some King's Ravine overtones, only shorter. The signs should compare the Valley View terrain to other rough terrain so that people could have something to compare it to. And it didn't even have much of a view of the valley, or maybe I just couldn't see it through the sweat and tears. Maybe shutting it down isn't such a bad idea.

Hal,

Please don't close that trail!!

We all need a lesson in humility now and then and this little loop is just the ticket.

I've new respect for the "little" Belknaps now for sure!

Thanks for all your work in this beautiful area.

ChrisB

A quick question for those who have done the valley view trail: Is there one direction that is better to do this loop in? Which end of the loop is the trickiest climbing, as it seems better to go up that section. Thanks!

I'm very glad you kept it open.
Hal. BRATT Crew Leader.

Heheh. No doubt.

I did this trail a couple weeks ago. I think N to S is likely the easier direction, I'd much rather ascend the rockfall than descend it.
Sounds like Chris went the other direction {shudder} :)

There's a thread on Hike-nh , and a link to a more detailed tr of mine if you like - http://www.rockybranchdreams.com/index.php/trip-reports/48-2014-07-06-piper-valleyview

Last edited:
These things are so subjective. I finally checked this out, in the pouring rain mind you (NOT in the forecast), but I still think No Tripyramid Slide is far more intimidating. The rockslide on Valley View Trail is short and less open. Biggest problem was finding it! There is no sign at the Vista Trail jct. - you need to go straight where Vista bears a sharp right at the beginning of that trail. And it's kind of hard to follow in spots before the beginning of the rockslide.

Julie