How to become a trail maintainer ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksearl

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I had kind of a general question regarding how one becomes a trail maintainer. Any info anyone can provide here would be helpful. Here are some of my quick questions but again, I'm looking for as much info as possible. I don't have a ton of time these days, but also would like to see if something like this would fit in my life style, as I'd like to give back to the hiking community and the wilderness:

- Can you get a group of, let's say three guys, together and "adopt" or become the maintainers of a specific trail...or do you have to sign up individually?
- Are the trails assigned to you or do you have a choice/list you can choose from?
- Is there training or mentoring to complete before going out and butchering a trail completely?
- Can you maintain only in the summer months or do you have to sign up for year round?
- Is there a rule of thumb how often you need to get up there to maintain? (once a month)???
- Is there a length of trail limitation you must satisfy?
- Can you use a chain saw on the trail or do you have to use only hand tools? (I feel as though I read somewhere once that you have to be specially trained on a chain saw)
- How does one go about getting involved (contacts, etc.)?
- Finally, if you don't feel you have the time to be a primary maintainer, can you call up the AMC and join a trail maintenance party when they actually go out to rebuild trails?

I'm assuming a lot of this info is readily available, but I know most on here are probably experts, so I figured I'd ask.

Thanks,
Karl

A lot of this depends on where you want to maintain... For the catskills which falls under NY, I maintain a trail through the Catskills 3500 club and ultimately through the NYNJTC. So the guidelines of how much trail and how often is determined by the TC. It happens to be twice a year for the Catskills, once in the spring and once in the fall.

I'm pretty sure nowhere allows you to use any motorized tools such as chainsaws for insurance purposes and yes, you would need to be trained in such devices in any case. Typically, I believe it's 4" log or more you can simply report the location to the TC and they can pass it on to the state's chainsaw crew. In reality, I take care of any blowdown I can easily take care of with the equipment I have, bow saw, tree saw, 24" fiskars axe. If it's too big then I mark the location and it goes in the report to the TC.

The 3500 club also holds lean to parties and trail parties and we do request help from the open memberships on an event basis. This is as opposed to adopting a trail and twice a year going to clean it regularly... We have some leanto work right now and some new trailwork that is open for help.

The TC maintains a list of trails and volunteers so the TC knows which trails are "open"...

I presume you are talking about the Whites since you mention AMC, so you could always contact them for work schedules and info!

jay

The AMC Adopt-A-Trail program - http://www.outdoors.org/conservation/trails/volunteer/adopt/
WMNF Volunteer site - http://www.fs.usda.gov/main/whitemountain/workingtogether/volunteering
The Friends of the Blue Hills Adopt-a-Trail program - http://friendsofthebluehills.org/adopt-a-trail/

Most trail maintenance organizations have a similar program with varying hurdles and rewards. The AMC and WMNF links will probably get you the information you need, and if you want something more local to where ever you live just contact them.

The answers below relate to the AMC Adopt-A-Trail program, more infor at the link Dave posted above:

- Can you get a group of, let's say three guys, together and "adopt" or become the maintainers of a specific trail...or do you have to sign up individually? You can sign up to adopt as co-adopters.
- Are the trails assigned to you or do you have a choice/list you can choose from? You get to chose from the orphaned trails, however the available list is usually short.-
Is there training or mentoring to complete before going out and butchering a trail completely? When you sign up, they actually tell you not to do any work until attending one of the training classes (one day, usually at Camp Dodge)
- Can you maintain only in the summer months or do you have to sign up for year round? Trail adoption is only during the summer-
Is there a rule of thumb how often you need to get up there to maintain? (once a month)??? The expected commitment is three times year
- Is there a length of trail limitation you must satisfy? The sections of trail are already divided, and length is listed in the orphan trail listing
- Can you use a chain saw on the trail or do you have to use only hand tools? (I feel as though I read somewhere once that you have to be specially trained on a chain saw) Chain saws are not allowed in Wilderness (I don't recall about other ares) and any blowdown beyond your abilities can be reported for the Pro Trail crew
- How does one go about getting involved (contacts, etc.)? See the above link
- Finally, if you don't feel you have the time to be a primary maintainer, can you call up the AMC and join a trail maintenance party when they actually go out to rebuild trails? You can check Outdoors.org, under trip listings and search for trail work, several chapters will post trips to do trail work.

Karl

You might also hook up with the Trailwrights (www.trailwrights.org). They have an event this Saturday on the Kinsman Ridge Trail, only reason I won't be there is due to the Flags on the 48.

There's basically 2 levels of volunteering: become an "adopter" with either the AMC or the USFS, or hang out and get some experience with other people/groups who maintain trails. To become an adopter, both organizations require both training and a commitment. Assisting an adopter or maintainer usually requires that you show up to an event, and can take direction.

Most trail maintenance occurs during the "non-winter", since pretty much you've got to be able to see the trail to do much with it.

I'll probably be headed up to do a final fall cleanup on the Reel Brook Trail sometime in October, and I'll always accept help :)

You might also hook up with the Trailwrights (www.trailwrights.org). They have an event this Saturday on the Kinsman Ridge Trail, only reason I won't be there is due to the Flags on the 48.

There's basically 2 levels of volunteering: become an "adopter" with either the AMC or the USFS, or hang out and get some experience with other people/groups who maintain trails. To become an adopter, both organizations require both training and a commitment. Assisting an adopter or maintainer usually requires that you show up to an event, and can take direction.

Most trail maintenance occurs during the "non-winter", since pretty much you've got to be able to see the trail to do much with it.

I'll probably be headed up to do a final fall cleanup on the Reel Brook Trail sometime in October, and I'll always accept help :)

Probably the easiest, most non-committal way that I know of is through lesser known, more local organizations such as the TTOR (The Trustees of Reservations) or Audubon Society which have many individual properties through out the area. They hold "work days" and all you have to do is to show up. They provide tools & direction and as most of the properties are smaller, it typically doesn't take more than a 1/2 hr to get to any work area. I like the flexibility of working locally and the simplicity of the show up & work. In my area, there are TTOR work days every third Saturday and special work days as scheduled. I was a participant in a combo effort between the AMC & TTOR when we built two long bridge sections on the Bay Circuit Trail in one day. Any time that I asked, TTOR was happy to help me find some trail work to do with our local scout troop.

I realize that you are in NH and that TTOR is not necessarily good for you. But, the take away should be to think locally when you have less time available or if you need the flexibility. All of the local trails need maintainers too.

Maine Appalachian Trail Club is always looking for boundary line maintainers and occasionally AT sections. Basically, they want eyes on the trail and maintenance that can be done by hand. If you want to run a saw and do big stuff, they will train you but realistically, the eyes on trail, clipping and water bar maintenance is the most important. COmmitment is one day of training and then twice a year visit to the trail section. Boundary maintenance is once per year.

Trail maintenance season for adopters begins after June 1. That gives the Pro Crew time to sweep out the big stuff as they blaze through. The latest date for Work Reports to be filed to your Region Leader is Oct 15. So you can work right up till then, and in my opinion working late September up to that point is the best!

Hi All,

I have been a trail adopter with the USFS Pemigewasett District for several years. I’ll answer your questions based on my experience working with them.

- Can you get a group of, let's say three guys, together and "adopt" or become the maintainers of a specific trail...or do you have to sign up individually?

Groups can adopt trails. You can also sign up individually. Adopters must sign an adopter agreement. Once you sign the agreement, you are covered as a federal employee for liability and injury purposes. Sorry, there’s no pay involved.

- Are the trails assigned to you or do you have a choice/list you can choose from?

Each spring, Giff sends out an email listing “orphaned” trails. You can tell Giff that you, or your group, would like to adopt on of the trails. Some of the trails have adopters but will take co-adopters. At the trailheads, they post a list of trails and their adopters. The listing also lists the trails that are available for adoption and a phone number to call if you are interested.

- Is there training or mentoring to complete before going out and butchering a trail completely?

There is adopter training that takes place two times a year. It’s usually in the spring. At the training, the use of basic hand tools is discussed and a job hazard analysis is reviewed. Then the training moves into a hands-on approach that goes over clearing of water bars (most important), blowdown removal, brushing a trail and blazing.

- Can you maintain only in the summer months or do you have to sign up for year round?

You maintain the trail on your schedule. It really isn’t practical to do trail maintenance once there is snow on the ground.

- Is there a rule of thumb how often you need to get up there to maintain? (once a month)???

They would like you to clear the waterbars twice a year. Once in the spring after the snow melt and once in the fall after leave drop. Some adopters only get to clear the waterbars once a year. If you can’t make it there to clear waterbars for whatever reason, you let the USFS know and they can try to get someone else up there. All other work on the trail, is as you can fit it into your schedule.

- Is there a length of trail limitation you must satisfy?

There is no minimum (or maximum) length of trail to maintain. Unless you have a lot of time of your hands, I would not recommend adopting more than 2.5 miles of average trail.
- Can you use a chain saw on the trail or do you have to use only hand tools? (I feel as though I read somewhere once that you have to be specially trained on a chain saw)

You can use a chainsaw on the trail provided you attend a 3 day basic chainsaw certification class and are accompanied by a more experienced, certified sawyer. In most cases, hand tools are more than adequate. When you encounter a blowdown that is beyond your capability to safely remove, call the USFS and they will send out a crew to take care of it.

- How does one go about getting involved (contacts, etc.)?

If you are interested, please contact Giff at [email protected]. He posted a call for adopters on VFTT in February. Try this: http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?48027-Trail-Adopters-Needed-Pemi-District.

- Finally, if you don't feel you have the time to be a primary maintainer, can you call up the AMC and join a trail maintenance party when they actually go out to rebuild trails?

I can’t answer this one as I have not been involved with the AMC program. I will put in a plug for the Trailwrights organization. It’s a great group of people. There’s a work day on Saturday on the Mt. Kinsman Trail. There website is www.trailwrights.org. They are also on Facebook.

Happy Trails,
Glenn

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the great info! I do appreciate it. Now I just need to figure out the best and most effective way to give back with my schedule! Thanks again!!!

Karl

There is also the Belknap Range Trail Tenders (BRATTS) We maintain trails in the Belknaps and have an adopt a trail program as well.
We are on Facebook and I can be contacted here on VFTT or email [email protected]
You would be most welcome by any group anytime but be cautious Trail maintenance can be habit forming.

You don't say either where in NH or live or where you want to maintain trails (which may not be the same)

My suggestion is to first attend a volunteer work day to get an idea of what sort of work is done, there are easily 2 dozen clubs in NH that sponsor these and you can find one most any weekend day and even some weekdays during the warmer months

Most landowners and many clubs allow individuals or small groups to adopt sections of trail, some adopters are very proprietary and don't want anyone else touching _their_ trail while others will take all the help they can get

The bureaucracy involved parallels that of the parent group which can either leave you bogged down in paperwork or pretty much left on your own

If you want to use a chainsaw and know how some of the smaller groups would love to have you, instead of giving you a section you could be on call for blowdowns wherever found

For several years before I took on a section, I would contact the Green Mtn Club in the fall and ask if there was some trail that needed work they hadn't got to - this is a lot more trouble than having your own section as you don't always know what to expect and have to bring a greater selection of tools, but you can be sure there will be plenty to do :)

I think that almost all oganizations that maintain trails has some form of adoption program. So, there are lots of choices.

Just to mention a few more: Randolph Mountain Club, WOC. Looking to do trail work in the fall? That's when the Catamount Trail does much of it's maintenance.

Maine Appalachian Trail Club is always looking for boundary line maintainers and occasionally AT sections. Basically, they want eyes on the trail and maintenance that can be done by hand. If you want to run a saw and do big stuff, they will train you but realistically, the eyes on trail, clipping and water bar maintenance is the most important. COmmitment is one day of training and then twice a year visit to the trail section. Boundary maintenance is once per year.

I can confirm that several fantastic sections of the AT in Maine are in need of adopters currently. A great group to work with! www.matc.org