Western Maine backroads status and bikes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sherby

Reaction score
Hi,

We are planning to do some 3ks in Western Maine, so we are looking for any status report on the most used backroads to approach them (btw, we have a Honda Fit). Also, I rarely see in T.R. people using bikes when the road is impassable, is it because of the "no bikes" rule of the 4k or any other reason ?

Thanks for any help.

You may get a few more specific comments if you list the 3Ks you plan to hike. There is fairly steady traffic to the New England 4000 foot summits in Maine and even NE 100 highest summits but once you get off those lists the number of hikers going for the shorter summits are far fewer. I am not sure how formal the rules of the 3K lists are as they are not administered by the AMC 4K committee. I expect the administration of the awards are self administered by other obsessed folks who have finished the 3 K list.

I was looking at the map for peaks on both sides of the 27, between Coburn Gore and Eustis/Stratton. We are from Sherbrooke (QC), so those peaks are really close to home.

I you have $20 to spare, grab the DeLorme atlas for Maine. It has all of these little logging roads shown on a topo map.

Watch for loggers - they cause more accidents than moose up there.

I you have $20 to spare, grab the DeLorme atlas for Maine. It has all of these little logging roads shown on a topo map.

Watch for loggers - they cause more accidents than moose up there.

Already got it, I swear not go bo back there without it after doing the NE100 :p

As for loggers, any specific caution ? I guess an issue is to park the car somewhere safe (i.e. out of the way).

BTW, are some of these roads known to be off limits to hikers ?

Last edited:
Already got it, I swear not go bo back there without it after doing the NE100 :p

As for loggers, any specific caution ? I guess an issue is to park the car somewhere safe (i.e. out of the way).

BTW, are some of these roads known to be off limits to hikers ?

In regard to off-limit roads, unless the road is gated & locked or posted "Private-No trespassing," it is OK to go on.

Though I've fortunately yet to experience it, I think the primary danger from loggers is big trucks driving fast. It's my understanding that they have the right-of-way on the logging roads and expect you to get out of their way.

i was out on gold brook, beaudry and west branch roads back in june. the gold brook and beaudry roads as far as the junction with west branch road were ok and i'm pretty sure i could have made it with my corolla and a bit of care (the friend i was with that day had a truck). i would not have made it far down west branch road due to washouts. a high clearance truck, jeep, etc. would be necessary and with his truck and some gutsy driving on his part we made it to our planned starting point for caribou mountain. i did not get the impression that any logging was going on in that area, thus the poor condition of the roads.
as of last fall access to the west via tim pond road was very good with tim pond road in great shape. can't say how it faired the winter.
the delorme atlas is great, but for navigating those logging roads i have found google earth to be very helpful as well. if you own a smart phone and cache the maps before hand you can have the images with you while you are out there.
for accessing 3ks in nh and vt i have found my car to be adequate so far, but when looking at access for many 3ks in maine i find myself wishing i owned a truck. as for using a bike that is your call. i don't believe the "unofficial" lists have set rules and i know of 3k finishers who have used bikes to get into areas they couldn't access by car. i personally go by the same standard as the official amc lists, but to each is own.
have fun.

bryan

Last edited:
Loggers have the right of way and need it, they sometimes have a lot of momentum and can not readily swerve or turn out of the way of an oncoming car. On many logging roads they are effectively one lane with two sets of ruts that they logging truck have to stay in, If you encounter one on a private road you need to pull completely off the road out of the way, which may involve driving into the ditch or into brush that will do a number on your vehicles paint job. You definitely should bring a ratchet host and some hauling straps plus a saw in case you need to retrieve the car out of the ditch. Most folks just avoid active logging areas, its pretty obvious when the road is being used.

I ran into one person who drive for a logging company once, on his first run he was told to meet a bulldozer driver at a certain spot, the dozer proceeded to hook up to his truck and hauled the truck up a mountain road. Once on top the dozer driver disconnected the truck and they got the truck turned around in the log yard. They then filled up the truck with logs and told him to drive back to the mill down this very steep logging road, there was no hope of stopping he just kept it in the middle of the road until it leveled out. He made it back to the mill and handed over his keys and became an ex logging truck driver.

Also, I rarely see in T.R. people using bikes when the road is impassable, is it because of the "no bikes" rule of the 4k or any other reason ?
Some people believe that you shouldn't use mtn bikes on hikes if your sport is hiking not biking, and toting them on back roads is a pain.

At one time it was thought unsporting to use 4wd for the same reason but with the popularity of AWD cars this is mostly history.

No doubt some people think it's OK to use ATVs and snowmobiles if other users of the area do.

If you expect a patch from somebody, ask what the patch rules are.

If the road is drivable by a car, it should be fair game to use a bicycle instead. It’s also apparently fair — not only fair, but recommended — to carry a shovel in your car’s trunk and repair the road yourself. Gene Danielle used to point out that a few minutes of road repair (a few minutes’ work with a shovel, was how I think he phrased it) could save many miles of walking. So if you just use a bicycle and save yourself the effort with the shovel and the possible damage to your car, I don’t see how that’s any less fair, but I’m not the one in charge, so, as Roy suggested, check with Dennis Crispo or John Swanson for their opinions. I think they’re the ones who award the 770 patches.

It’s been a while since I’ve done any driving on logging roads other than National Forest roads, but this is of interest to me now, too, because I no longer have my Corolla and now drive a Prius, which has a skirt in front and not much clearance.

Last edited:
Just fyi that paper companies do not like two-wheelers -- safety issue I believe in view of the loggers. Not sure if they distinguish between bicycles and motorbikes, but they definitely do not like the latter on their roads.

Good call NH Climber. From the North Maine Woods website (northmainewoods.org) No bicycles, motorcycles, atv's or horses.
http://www.northmainewoods.org/information/thingtoknow.html

North Maine Woods is a consortium of land owners that have grouped together for, among other things, to manage information and access for the recreational use of the 3.5 million acres of land in Northern Maine.

Check out the North Maine Woods website, there is some decent info there for when you are actually travelling within the North Maine Woods

I would give North Maine Woods a call and inquire about the bicycle, especially if you might be camping or passing through a gate.

Some of these rules have been in place for years and are not only based on safety with respect to logging vehicles but perhaps from past experience with safety, litter, fire hazards and other nuisances related to some motorized recreation. A lot has evolved with the earnest efforts of motorized recreation clubs to instill a sense of responsibility as hand in hand with access to private lands. The rise of mountain biking and biking in general in popularity is another change.

A pleasant and serious inquiry might be the type of thing to get NMW thinking about bikes. 3.5 million acres. Wow. Think about that. The cost is essentially zilch to the taxpayer and a bargain to outdoor enthusiasts, especially those who respect other people's property and the needs of their business. The Mainers who truly know how to use and enjoy these wild outdoors, and in spite of the fact they are working forests they are wild, appreciate, if not take for granted, the tremendous access they have ... I'd say "we" but am from away but also enjoy that access.

I would give North Maine Woods a call and inquire about the bicycle, especially if you might be camping or passing through a gate.
Note that NMW is not involved with any ME3k except those in the KIW/Whitecap area which may have different rules.

In the past, ATVs and trailbikes have often been a tool of choice for vandals and thieves to easily bypass washouts and gates without fear of pursuit hence landowners had reasons to object. One thing not to ask for with mountain bikes is remote camping as landowners may fear campfires getting away where there is no good road access.

The area you are talking about you do not need to worry about North Maine woods Association. If it shows a gate on the Delorme, then there probably is one and it would be considered trespassing to go beyond.

There is tribal land in that area. Snow Mountain might be one of the ones you are looking at. The Penobscot Nation requests you ask permission before crossing their land to climb it.