North Conway - Learn the shortcuts for leafseason

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
As many folks inevitably learn, during leaf season, the Conway area traffic can slow to a stop especially on Sunday afternoons but also at other times. It can be real frustrating to get to and from hiking spots. Car navs tend to have a preference on numbered highways and therefore skip the local roads that allow locals and others in the know to skip the worst of traffic. If you take these routes with a car nav be prepared to have the car nav sabotage you by insisting that you turn around or take a turn to get back to its preferred route. In many cases these routes are not the least distance between two points but generally have far less traffic. Once you have tried these routes they aren't hard to find but the first time is usually a challenge

There are probably others but here is my list

West Side Road from Conway to Bartlett , this road runs parallel to RT 302 and skips the North Conway Strip. It has one connection back to RT 302, River Street, about mid way that come out a the lights just north of the North Conway village. It is far quicker and much more pleasant drive then RT 302, just beware that it is patrolled by police and they do enforce the 35 mph speed limit. It is not well marked on either end, On the north end it turns right off of RT 302 just before RT 302 crosses over the bridge.

North South Road - Runs from Rt 302 just east of the intersection with RT 16 and runs to just north of North Conway village. If traffic is really fouled in North Conway, take a right at the end onto Kearsage Road and head towards Cranmore Ski area, at the top of the hill take a left and head north past Cranmore to Hurricane Mountain Road. At Hurricane Mountain Road take a left to get back to RT 302 at the in Bartlett (just north of the scenic vista on RT 302).

Passaconaway Road from the Kanc to the West Side road - Many folks forget this gem. If you are heading east on the Kanc and want to go North in North Conway take the seasonal (closed in winter)covered bridge over the river and then run parallel to the Kanc eventually diverging and ending up at West side road. Using this is combination with west side road lets you skip the entire Conway/North Conway traffic from the Kanc intersection with RT 302

Intervale Cross Road, this runs between RT 302 and the Kearsage Road, if you see a hint of traffic at the scenic vista going south on RT 302, take a left and take this road to skip the worst traffic backup into North Conway. If you are heading south in order to connect up with River Street and the west side road, you have to take Kearsage Road to RT 302 at the lights in North Conway village, then take a right (head north on RT 302) to the next lights and turn left onto River Street.

East Side Road in Conway in combination with west side road occasionally has some time savings as it skips a few traffic lights in Conway. Be aware of it as an option but you may only rarely use it.

River Street and Pine Street North Conway - At the intersection of River Street (coming from west side road) and RT 302, go straight at the lights instead of going south on RT 302 onto Pine Street, follow Pine Street to Mechanic Street then turn left, in about a block take a right onto a one way street that ends at the North South Road.

If you are heading North on RT 16 from RT 25 to north Conway, take Rt 41 in West Ossipee (just after RT 25 goes west) to Rt 113 North which is far faster than taking RT 16 to Conway. Watch the speed in Madison. This works just as well heading south.

Hurricane Mountain Road is a forgotten route for those who want to access the Maine side of the WMNF (RT 113). This is seasonal road and those uncomfortable with steep winding roads may want to avoid but it saves time getting to RT 113 in Maine for most. Just take the Hurricane Mountain road over the mountain and at the end turn left on Green Hill Road (South Chatham Road on the Maine side) then left onto RT 113.

Rt 16A through Bartlett rarely save time compared to Rt 302 unless there is an accident on RT 302.

Some folks advocate taking RT 153 From RT 25 to skip more of RT 16, I don't and find no time savings and prefer the RT 41/113 option.

There is a way to get from RT 302 west to RT 16 North which skips the Storyland traffic backup via Glen Ledge Road and Jericho Road but there is no time savings for most.

Well now you gone and done it. First it was the Powder Stashes now it is the roads. Is there no fun anymore with self discovery?:rolleyes:;):) LOL!

Add -- Going from Lower Bartlett to Jackson --> Thorn Hill Road from 16A. Scenic.

When 16 north bound is backed up from the Kanc intersection: right on 113 for a bit, then left on gravel road just past the quarry. Road becomes paved after a few hundred feet. Follow Pequawket Dr, right on Quint, left on Trasker Hill, then left again on 153. At the light you can continue straight onto Washington/West Side Rd. Sounds complicated but it's pretty obvious.

Bear Notch Road gets a fair share of leaf peepers, Its still a good bypass if you want to avoid Conway heading south from Crawfords Notch.

Not to worried about spilling secrets, most folks will follow their car navs over a cliff and others look forward to waiting in line on the Conway strip. These shortcuts usually require a bit of prescouting so if someone is just in town one weekend, they arent a big saving. Those who live locally or drive through town frequently tend to be the one that they benefit most.

Dont worry there are a few additional tricks that even I havent cared to chase down.

Not to worried about spilling secrets, most folks will follow their car navs over a cliff and others look forward to waiting in line on the Conway strip. These shortcuts usually require a bit of prescouting so if someone is just in town one weekend, they arent a big saving. Those who live locally or drive through town frequently tend to be the one that they benefit most.

Dont worry there are a few additional tricks that even I havent cared to chase down.

I like to think of it as local knowledge shared rather than a secret. The difference these days it is shared on the Internet rather than over a beer at the local pub. Not that it matters to me and not to be intentionally striking any nerves but local beta like this used to be somewhat coveted. There is a contingent of the old fashion local yokel aka native that would probably have his undies stuck between his crack over someone intentionally spilling the beans still to this day. I'm not one of them and accept that times have changed. Just don't ask me about my Powder Stashes or I might have to kill you!;):)
Interestingly the issue of traffic flow has been coming up again in local government. There was an article in the Conway Daily Sun just this past week discussing the matter.

I noted the Conway Daily Sun Article and the comment that the parties up north were no longer pushing to get the bypass completed. I guess they have forgotten that 1650 tons per day of wood will be heading to Berlin from mostly south west and north. I just wish the state had finished the north south road connection to where it was supposed to tie into RT 16 near the hospital. As for the Conway village bypass I dont hold up much hope as business community wants to force everyone to drive past their business.

Damn you peakbagger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p