Best backpacks for skinny people?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff&Henry

Reaction score
This may seem like an odd question for gear...but is anyone aware of a backpack manufacturer that sizes their packs (specifically the waist strap) for very skinny people? A friend's daughter (a 15 year old) is doing a month long trek in Africa, and she can't find a pack that fits her waist. And a child pack won't work either because she's nearly 5 feet 8 inches tall. It has to be something good too, as she'll be tested with a variety of weather over the month.

Any brand recommendation, or outfitters would be much appreciated!

JW

Have you looked into custom packs? McHale's is the only one I know of personally, but there may be others.

I have a Gregory, which had differing sized shoulder straps and waist belt available at the store. After trying a few combinations, I was able to purchase the frame size, shoulder strap size, and waist belt size that fit the best. This was at EMS.

Not sure what you mean by skinny but Gossamer Gear's small hipbelt fits size 25-32. They make ultralight packs so they may not be appropriate for her but I'm guessing she would get a good fit.

Your friend's daughter should go to a stocking retailer and try on packs. Hopefully they will have something which fits. Or have they tried this already and failed?