Nepal in October

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erugs

Reaction score
Who here has been to Nepal in October?

I'm asking because I leave for there in a few weeks and am in the process of packing and have a few questions because I can't bring my "hiking gear room" with me:

1. Sleeping Bag - our gear list says -20 degree bag. I have a 0 degree bag and a liner. We'll be staying in tea houses, not tents. I can always through my down jacket over me if I am chilled? Right? or Wrong?

2. Jackets - Wind proof soft shell with hood (Gore-Tex). I have a Marmot Precip for rain. Will this do the job for this requirement? It's roomy enough of one heavier layer such as an expedition weight long sleeved top, but will that be enough? We are also asked to bring a down jacket.

3. Down Jacket - I have an 800 fill down "sweater" (no hood, no zipper cover) from EMS and also a Mountain Hardware "puffy" jacket that I purchased for a Rainier trip. Is one better than the other for tea-house treks to Base Camp?

4. Sleeping - I take Sonata for Chronic Insomnia at sea level. At what elevation might that be considered dangerous? I haven't been able to find any information on line about that.

5. "Favorite Snack Food" - can I purchase good quality trail mix in Katmandu?

Any other suggestions?

It was a long time ago (1995) but I did the Annapurna Circuit in October and the first week of November. Obviously the weather can be warmer or colder than normal, and where you go specifically can be quite different based on location and altitude, but what you're bringing sounds pretty good to me. We had some light snow at 14,000' a few nights and my 3-season bag was fine in a tea house with a blanket. Base camp (for Everest I assume) is higher, what's the highest you'll be spending the night? I'd bring whichever down jacket has a hood as it's more versatile.

You can purchase anything in Kathmandu, but it's just as easy to buy stuff on the route. I'd discuss the sleeping with Sonata with your doctor; as good as the folks on this board are I'm leery of taking medical advice from a message board.

Thanks, David. The highest we will be is at Everest Base Camp. I've discussed the Sonata question with my doctor and they don't know and could not find any information anywhere in their system. I guess I am wondering what others have done if they take it regularly. Certainly don't want to slow my heartbeat down too much, do I. When I don't take it at home I am awake most of the night, but do get some housecleaning projects done.

Just below:

Day 14: Trek to EBC (5,365 m) then back to Gorakshep (7/8 hrs)
About three hours beyond Lobuche we reach Gorakshep, a tiny hamlet at 5,180m, which used to be the site of the 1953 Everest expedition's base camp. We'll take a tea or lunch break at Gorekshep while checking in at the hotel and then move on to Everest Base Camp. Contouring along the valley side, the trail leads on to the moraine of the Khumbu Glacier and becomes quite vague, weaving between mounds of rubble. After about 3 hours easy walk from Gorakshep, we'll eventually reach Base Camp near the foot of the Khumbu Icefall. The view of the Khumbu Icefall from Base Camp is spectacular. This is the closest you can get to Mt. Everest without mountaineering equipment and for those visiting base camp in the spring, it is a chance to meet the Everest expedition teams from all over the world, making an ascent of the mountain.
Base Camp is actually spread over quite a wide area and we will spend some time wandering through it and getting a sense of what it must be like to be camped here for two whole months, whilst attempting the mountain. To go any further than base camp, you will need to be a mountaineer! We return back to Gorakshep for the night.

That's quite high, so the cold thin air will be a major factor. Above 12,000 we saw lots of sleep problems and vivid dreams so it's likely to have an impact. As I'm sure they will tell you, drink lots of water and listen to your body. At that elevation, the warmer sleeping bag could be worth it.

Temperature should be fine with a 0 degree bag. It was 1992 when I was there, and as Dave pointed out, any year can be warm or cold, but I was on this route in October. Our BC for Pumori was on the hillside, about 1000' higher than Everest BC. We were there for two weeks in tents, and I think the coldest it got at night was about 15F, with a little light snow. I was never cold at night.

Enjoy!

The Tea Houses provide blankets, and my puffy 800 fill down jacket should help. Maybe some heat packs for my toes?

I'm so excited about this trip.

Congratulations, you'll have a great adventure. We went in April this year and my advice would be to bring as much warm stuff as you have. In my experience, once you are done walking for the day it is cold. It's just cold and there is no where to go and get warm. Everyone's experience is different and i do sleep cold but that was the one aspect of the trip that was miserable for me. Definitely talk to your doc about meds. I had problems with sleep apnea starting at Tengboche, also the vivid dreams that Dave mentioned. All told i would not trade the experience for the world. Good luck and enjoy!

Thanks! I have weird dreams at sea level. Can't imagine how they could get any stranger, but we'll see. I do appreciate the tips and encouragement.

This is a bit off-topic, but since we're talking about altitude, I thought it worth a mention. If you are a contact lens wearer, it's likely the case that they won't "work" above a certain altitude. For me, it's 10,000 feet. Something about the pressure, maybe, that changes the way the lens lays on the eye. I had this problem climbing Mont Blanc a few years ago, and didn;t realize what was going on at the time--I thought my lenses were just dirty.. ; ) Anyway, worth considering. Now, when I go above 10, I switch to my glasses.

ps I am jealous about this trip! Can't wait to hear how it went, and then any tips on making a similar journey in the future. Have a great time! Challenging to be sure, and the altitude aspect is hard, but I am sure it will all be worth it!

You're still on topic, Carla. Thanks for the info. Has anyone used Ginko Biloba for altitute? One in our group says she always does and finds it helpful.

When I was in Nepal some years ago, we bought used expedition bags and parkas in Kathmandu. I don't remember being cold but we were at Annapurana base camp which is not quite as high. Close though. As for sleeping, diamox helps prevent night-time anoxia, periodic breathing, and AMS. I used it inthe Rockies when I had no time to acclimate with no side effects. Does something milder like melatonin suffice to help you sleep? I'd be worried that a sleep med would further depress you CNS and cause problems. You're going quite high.

Have a wonderful time! It's an amazing place!

Last edited:
Thanks, Pam. I appreciate your information. Melatonin does not help me, unfortunately. Did you take Diamox?

I have just had contact with Dr. Hacket, a high altitude doctor who I read had done studies. Graciously he responded: Sonata has not been studied at high altitude, but its cousin Ambien has. These type of sleeping medications do not depress breathing during the night, which is the main determinant of safety at high altitude when it comes to medications. They are thus safe, and definitely safer than benzodiazepine, like Restoril or Xanax.
I think it should not be a problem to continue taking Sonata up to Everest base camp. The one precaution is that if you are getting severe altitude illness, such as great difficulty breathing and a cough indicating high altitude pulmonary edema, you need oxygen and descent, not a sleeping agent.

Glad you checked with the high altitude doc and that you got a supportive answer!

Yes I took diamox--but only in CO, not in Nepal which was quite a while ago. I experienced no side effects. At Annapurana basecamp I also did not experience any altitude sickness -- just very out of breath while hiking. My husband had a mild case though-- coughing and headache. We only spent one night there and he felt better after descending the next day.

So glad you're getting to go! Post lots of pics!