Coleman Exponent Helios X2

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cristobal

Reaction score
For a long time I've wanted a true four season, expedition style tent for winter camping, but the price has put me off. Recently I've seen the Coleman Exponent Helios X2 from several online retailers for less than $200, which seems like a great deal. The tent design looks to be basically the same six pole structure as the North Face Mountain 25. The reviews that I've seen online have been overwhelmingly positive.
Anyone have experience with this tent and willing to share your opinion?
Thanks.

The North Face Mountain 25 has the extra pole to support the vestibule. For me a "true" 4 season mountain tent has that supported vestibule.
The main tent structure with the 4 poles is similar. The Coleman is a "Robust four pole architecture", not 6.. Ventilation options are also critical.

I go through this every few years.

How often will you be above tree line in the winter ?

Last edited:
The Coleman is a "Robust four pole architecture", not 6.. Ventilation options are also critical.

The manual I found on-line which seems to suggest it is a 6 pol3 design [EDIT: oops, poor reading comprehension, it is 4 poles]

http://r1.coleman.com/Manuals/2000000435.PDF

This is a very good question.

I have used a three season tent for below treeline winter camping for a few years now. I do need to be mindful of overnight snow accumulatiion [ie get out in the middle of the night and clear off the snow]. I need to leave the door zipper open along the top edge as the roof vent. On a windy night, I can get snow blowing under the fly and through the mesh screen. It does not retain a lot of warmth. But besides all those draw backs, it works.

Last edited:
The North Face Mountain 25 has the extra pole to support the vestibule. For me a "true" 4 season mountain tent has that supported vestibule.
The main tent structure with the 4 poles is similar. The Coleman is a "Robust four pole architecture", not 6.. Ventilation options are also critical.

I go through this every few years.

Looks like four Poles to me. I am going to disagree with you Chip with both the concept that a true four season tent has a supported vestibule and six pole design over four. I do realize that is your personal preference. I will qualify that the quality of the build up and materials coupled with the design is what is integral to the performance of the tent. I am basing this on my experience with the Wild Country Quazar . Which is a four pole design without a pole supported vestibule. I have used this tent on multiple expeditions to the Cascades, The Alaska Range, and South America. The design has been highly functional with bombproof performance. I will also say at the time when this tent was in it's hay day the quality of the tent's materials and it's buildup were second to none IMO. My question would be of the Coleman, can it live up to those same standards of material and craftsmanship. If not I would give it the thumbs down. That would also go for a six pole design.

Last edited:
This is a tent for traveling out west to the tall treeless ranges. I don't really see how it would be practical in New England where tenting above treeline is disallowed and where tenting above treeline is not a great idea. You tent above treeline because you HAVE TO. In New England it's always a short trip to the protection of the forest and a it's a good idea to do so.

7 lbs - why drag this thing along? :)

Interesting thoughts. I inadvertently caused some confusion by referring to the Helios' 'six pole structure'. I meant to describe the four pole structure of the main tent body, and simply typed 'six' by mistake.
I don't know how often, if ever, I might camp above tree line in the Whites; I recently moved East from California, where I did sometimes camp above treeline, but California's hills do not typically experience the extreme winds that seem to be common in New Hampshire. I think I'd be more likely to camp just below treeline in the Whites, and aim for some day trips to the peaks, but I think I would still like the added stability of the Helios' structure compare to the two pole backpacking tent I currently use. I imagine the winds can be quite strong even below the treeline.
Still mulling it over, but I will report back if I do buy this tent.

The Helios X2 seems to be similar to my Mountain Hardwear Trango Assault. I find it's a great size for a solo winter tent, even though it's a bit heavy. For under $200, it's considerably less expensive than the top-of-the-line mountaineering tents, and it would probably be fine for winter camping in the Northeast.

I am basing this on my experience with the Wild Country Quazar .

That looks like a beautiful tent. It also looks like a $500 or so tent. At that price point I'd buy one that had the vestibule supported, just because my "3 1/2" season Sierra Designs does not.
I'm sure your Wild Country tent would last longer above tree-line than my Sierra Designs, though.

Cristobal said:
I think I'd be more likely to camp just below tree-line in the Whites

For that use the Coleman looks perfect. I know Coleman has been trying hard to break their "old" reputation.

The Helios X2 seems to be similar to my Mountain Hardwear Trango Assault.

Thanks jfb !

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/trango-assault-tent-by-mountain-hardwear~p~88286/

The Coleman Helios is occasionally on sale really cheap. If it was $150 less than the 2 person Trango Assault above, I'd buy it.
If it was $50 less than the 2 person Trango, I'd buy the Trango Assault...
(because it's the same 4 pole body as the Helios, with the vestibule support pole and a better pedigree.)

skiguy, I'd love to see some pictures of your trips to the Cascades, Alaska Range, and South America.

I'll now shamelessly post a couple pics of our Mountain Hardware and Eureka! tents at about 11,500' on Rainier, just because I can;
(That's Johnny Paradox in the second pic)

IMG_0115.JPG

IMG_0118_1.JPG

Last edited: