Baxter and Hamlin Peaks - Baxter State Park - 9/15/13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TelemarkMike

Reaction score
This trip turned out to be one of the most perfect trips ever. Leesa and I arrived on Thursday night and we did a couple days of hiking in so-so weather before having the perfect day to head for Katahdin on Sunday.

We both went in to Chimney Pond via the Chimney Pond Trail. Then I went up the Dudley Trail to Pamola Peak so I could cross the Knife Edge. Leesa went up the Saddle Trail. We met on Baxter Peak.

From Baxter, we crossed the Tablelands and climbed Hamlin Peak before descending on the Hamlin Ridge Trail.

As we were walking out on the Chimney Pond Trail we saw a bull and cow moose on the edge of Basin Ponds. They are huge animals!

You can read more here, and see lots of pictures. This was the perfect trip.

We also did a couple other trips in Baxter before spending 5 days at Acadia National Park, which is also fantastic. We alternated between hiking and sea kayaking on the ocean. The weather was perfect all week.

I'll have other trip reports on my blog covering all those days.

Wow. Torn between jealousy and admiration. I loved Hamlin, and it was on a day not half as nice as yours. Thanks for the posting.