Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homeless Man living on the NLP Trail

Homeless Man living on the NLP Trail

I thought I should post this.

Recently visited the NLP Trail and met a man who is living on this trail (two years). Calls himself "Hobo". Description; approx 6', slim build, 50 years old white man. Has one eye and wears an eye patch. Last seen has long beard. He yo yo's up and down the trail. Can be found at the leantos. Will gladly do you favors. Will gladly eat your food, and take whatever you have (drink drugs smokes money). I must have been a big disappointment.

Some find him amusing, some find him interesting and some sympathetic.

I found him annoying and scary.

why? Is armed- carries a "22 with a folding stock". Has a hair trigger temper. Does not like people from down state. Is a (self proclaimed) alcoholic and drug addict. Will subject you to his loud talk, constant smoking and constant swearing. Made inappropriate remarks that are offensive.

If you go out to walk a beautiful wilderness trail and would like the Hobo experience- seek him out. Should be easy to locate. If you wish to avoid him avoid the lean tos. Don't tell anyone where you are camping.
    Solvitur Ambulando
    "...Go ahead"

I have read various positives and negatives about this person. But if this description is accurate, it's time for the State Police to be called.

Sounds like the increasing urban homeless problem is spreading out.Hobo seems like the wrong word for this person.Maybe "thug"would be better?How does a person like this get a facebook page?.Hope all the police make it out ok when he finally gets locked up for felony harassment.Hopefully hikers heading up this way get the memo on this person.thanks for posting woodstrider....
    Last edited by Red Oak; 10-01-2013 at 05:45 AM.

A similar man, Ed, has been living at various locations in Keene Valley and Keene for over two years, but he has recently moved to Maine. I have never heard of Ed being on the NPT or having a firearm, but he shared some of the other characteristics you mentioned.

I suspect the NYSP would rather cruise the roads in their big black SUVs looking for traffic violations. Who wouldn't rather write tickets than go after a moody loner with a gun? But I could be wrong. The big IF is whether this guy has actually broken any laws. It's no crime to act strange and look scary even (especially?) if armed.

Quote Originally Posted by nundagao View Post
    I suspect the NYSP would rather cruise the roads in their big black SUVs looking for traffic violations. Who wouldn't rather write tickets than go after a moody loner with a gun? But I could be wrong. The big IF is whether this guy has actually broken any laws. It's no crime to act strange and look scary even (especially?) if armed.
    And who wouldn't rather sit behind a keyboard and post things he knows nothing about than contribute anything to the discussion?

Moderator note:

Let's tone things down a little here. Let's focus on the issue at hand and not hijack this thread.
    You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself, any direction you choose. -- Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by TCD View Post
    I have read various positives and negatives about this person. But if this description is accurate, it's time for the State Police to be called.
    So, those who know, is it time for the cops to visit? Seems to me this behavior crosses several lines and merits a look-see. I'd love to visit that stretch of trail, but wouldn't go anywhere near it knowing I'd have this to consider. So, is there probable cause or not?

^^^^

It's up to woodstrider. If she calls and articulates her concerns, it will at the very least be documented with an attempt to locate and identify.

Nothing said in this thread is going to cause a visit to Hobo from law enforcement.

Blairsville GA ......... Avatar-- On top of Starr King Mt.
    Quote Originally Posted by woodstrider View Post
    I thought I should post this.

I found him annoying and scary.

why? Is armed- carries a "22 with a folding stock". Has a hair trigger temper. Does not like people from down state. Is a (self proclaimed) alcoholic and drug addict. Will subject you to his loud talk, constant smoking and constant swearing. Made inappropriate remarks that are offensive.
    I recently met a young man on the top of Springer Mt. GA. He was very friendly and had a friendly dog with him. He didn't smoke, swear, make inappropriate remarks nor talk loud. But...he was carrying a gun in a holster. In all my years of hiking it was the first time, aside from a hunter, that I encountered someone visibly armed. Just that made me feel somewhat uneasy. I can only imagine how you must have felt with all those other things added on.

As for the hunters, I will say that coming around a corner and seeing a hunter sitting right there on the trail and lifting his gun at the sound of my approach made me uneasy also.
    I used to look at my dog and think 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what your were thinking', and he'd look at me like he was saying 'If you were a little smarter I wouldn't have to'. Fred Jungclaus

Some of our greatest historical and artistic treasures we place with curators in museums; others we take for walks. Roger Caras

100/100 NEHH with Duffy
    48/48 NH 4000 Winter Ed with Duffy and Lauky
    48 X 4 including 1 winter Lauky
    48 X 6 Ed
    12 X 12 Belknaps with Lauky

Quote Originally Posted by Ed'n Lauky View Post
    I recently met a young man on the top of Springer Mt. GA. He was very friendly and had a friendly dog with him. He didn't smoke, swear, make inappropriate remarks nor talk loud. But...he was carrying a gun in a holster. In all my years of hiking it was the first time, aside from a hunter, that I encountered someone visibly armed. Just that made me feel somewhat uneasy. I can only imagine how you must have felt with all those other things added on.

As for the hunters, I will say that coming around a corner and seeing a hunter sitting right there on the trail and lifting his gun at the sound of my approach made me uneasy also.
    A few years back my girlfriend and I ran into a hunter on Waumbec,he was hunting right off the trail.He claimed he liked hunters because they pushed the deer towards him.I was ok with him,but my gf was not happy about a gun facing our direction.The dude said"you guys should wear orange",I replied "good idea".Note;my original hunter comment deleted by mods.
    Hopefully there will be a calm and peaceful resolution to this issue.Also hopefully mr. trail friendly "hobo" can get some professional help.On a side note the last several months I have been working in lots of places around mass. and nh,Concord,Manch.,Cambridge,etc,and am very surprised how bad the homeless problem has become.I feel bad for the social services and police that have felt the brunt of this issue.Glad we have this site though to give us a heads up to this particular problem of the "placid hobo".
    Last edited by Red Oak; 10-01-2013 at 06:36 AM.

Was on a section of the NPT this past Sunday and feel obliged in order to follow VFFT modus vivendi to report that all hikers we met offered us not only to share their food and clothes but carried our packs for the section we travelled together, naturally we hugged the several cute bears enjoying the same route, etc.

There are many hunters who are also avid hikers on VFTT. I know some of them cringe when reading about bad behavior by 'hunters' as we all do when reading about bad 'hikers'.
    We all know where it goes when the thread turns into a hunting or firearms direction.
    "The fact that going off the deep end appears
    to be a requisite to doing anything of consequence
    in this life has not escaped me." Jim Harrison

I would expect a lot more people wandering the trails whether looking for trouble or not.
    If you have food I would expect hungry people to come begging for it or just take it from you, that seems to be how it will be coming down to these days. People ask if I worry about animals attacking, not for me, I just worry about people doing me harm.
    The guy certainly sounded creepy.
    Would it be unkind to suggest there are enough flakes in the woods... time will tell, I guess.
    Last edited by Peakbagr; 10-01-2013 at 05:51 PM. Reason: removed firearms comment
    "you've got to stand for something
    or...you'll fall for anything"