Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Homeless Man living on the NLP Trail

yes it is. He told me that he is writing a trail guide for the NLP trail and will make it available as a DVD.
    Solvitur Ambulando
    "...Go ahead"

This guy tried to put his hands on me. Said sexually offensive things. I don't know about you- but I don't travel several hundred miles, hike in to a remote and isolated place and then ....

And...I didn't even stay at a leanto.
    Solvitur Ambulando
    "...Go ahead"

It's totally up to you what to do, as has been pointed out above. But if it were me, I would be calling the NY State Police. My opinion is that it's time for this guy to get off a recreation trail and into a jail cell. What you have described certainly meets the legal criteria for assault.

Woodstrider, you'd be doing a favor for the next person he could possibly encounter to report this as soon as possible, given your description of the incident. Let the authorities decide how to handle.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by TCD View Post
    It's totally up to you what to do, as has been pointed out above. But if it were me, I would be calling the NY State Police. My opinion is that it's time for this guy to get off a recreation trail and into a jail cell. What you have described certainly meets the legal criteria for assault.
    "The fact that going off the deep end appears
    to be a requisite to doing anything of consequence
    in this life has not escaped me." Jim Harrison

Informational post only ...

Based on what has been described, there is at least Harassment - 2nd (subjecting another person to physical contact under PL 240.26) and possibly Forcible Touching (sexual contact including pinching, squeezing and grabbing under PL 130.52). Harassment - 2nd is a Violation; Forcible Touching is a Class A Misdemeanor.

Depending on where on the trail it happened, it could be in either Troop G (783-3211) or Troop B (897-2000). If you want to pursue it, you will eventually need to meet in person with a Trooper or Investigator to complete paperwork.

NYSP (1991-2012)

Considering all the circumstances, it might also fit under "Menacing."

A Story. when i was 18/19 attending STCC in Springfield Mass, i would wait at what was the old BaystateWest mall downtown for a ride home. There was this elderly lady, a bag lady if you well, who spotted me being there somewhat regularly. We occasionally talked, then began to expect to see each other. she would sit down next to me with all her layers on, she seemed quite frail underneath, and we would talk and talk. I never reallly knew if she had a home, lived at shelters etc. I am sure she sought warmth, probably some food and maybe occasional company by being indoors in this mall. I am sure my presence speaking with her gave her some assurrance she wouldn't be run out as a loiterer. At 18/19 I was still very naive to the difficulties of living ones life without getting run off the tracks, perhaps derailing oneself purposefully at times. Having been in the medical field now for over 30 years, I am very much aware and have experienced humans at different levels of disconnect and dropout. Mental illness is a huuuuuuge contributing factor to homelessness. Example after example is clear and evident in the media that we fail those with diseases and disorders that place them outside of the lines..to this day I have thought of my downtown Springfield friend, I wasn't aware enough at that age to guide her however I could have, to services, programs etc. I can only hope she continued to make it through each day and live her life safely to the end.
    That being shared, I in no way equate my encounter with someone in the woods, potentially ill and potentially armed. As an occasional solo female hiker in the woods, or even as as a solo female grocery shopper, highway traveller etc, I always mentally and physically insist that i have a plan B, a plan C and sometimes even a plan D if I found myself in a uncomfortable to downright dangerous situation. Know your environment, know how to diffuse and seperate, know how to survive. If you are uncomfortable, listen to your inner voice and get the hell out of the situation, and yes if it warrants insistence on further investigation, then follow through for the sake of the affected individual, as well as for all those who may come along in the future.
    ctsparrow

Thank you to all the replies to this thread and for some useful ideas on how to go forward.

I do not plan to make a report to law enforcement. I don't think that they will care or do anything.

I do care about my tribe- the hiking/backpacking/peak bagging communities. I just wanted to warn people to the potential problem. And I do realize that most people out there probably do not look at this site. I am doing what I can.

May be this thread should be closed to further comments- and just let it stand so people can read the warning.
    Solvitur Ambulando
    "...Go ahead"

FYI -- I received the following, via e-mail, from

Henry L. Chapman ("lucky henry")
    Advocate for Mental Health Care Reform
    Catskill 3500er #1,091
    ADK 31er

Whether you describe him as a flake, scary or creepy, Hobo's erratic and unpredictable behavior, verbal threats and homeless state suggest he could very well be suffering from a mental disorder. Mental illnesses are often co-occurring with drug and alcohol addicition. Heavy smoking, for example is common among the mentally ill because they alleviate the so-called "positive" symptoms of psychosis (hallucinations, delusions).

Based on woodstrider's description it would seem to be perfectly appropriate for her or anyone with a similar impression to report this man to the authorities. In my experience, NYSDEC and the state police are more than willing to listen and at the very least file a report. It should not be assumed, however, that law enforcement officials are appropriate custodians for the mentally ill or that incarceration should be automatically ascribed in lieu of appropriate mental health care services.

Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

I met the guy last summer at Spruce Lake LT. My friends and I spent the night there with him and some other fisherman. I'm only speaking from my experience of him, but he seemed totally harmless to me. A little weird, but harmless. He was kind-of fascinating, really. He's been on the trail for a long time and he knows his stuff. He gave us a few pointers on trail shortcuts, the nice lean-tos, even which LT roofs had cell service (accurately, I should add). Yeah, he smoked a lot, talked even more, and was pretty crude, but otherwise harmless, helpful, and extremely interesting and entertaining.

I would be extremely surprised if the DEC wasn't familiar with him. Like I said, hes been out there a while and definitely isn't one to hide from them. He's probably told them his entire life story.

Like I said, this is solely from my experiences with him. Maybe he's a little different around three male college freshman, but we didn't get even the slightest suspicion that he might be dangerous (to the contrary, the fisherman that we found there, too, were extremely drunk and couldn't even protect themselves from their own knives...they left early the next morning to go get stitches).

If what you're saying he did is what it sounds like, that's a different story. But from what I known of him, his biggest issue might just be that hes a little annoying. It takes all kinds out there.

A bit late to this discussion but just wanted to post this:

If you ever have any issues in the Adirondack Backcountry that you feel necessitates Law Enforcement response, you should contact the DEC Law Enforcement/the NYS Forest Rangers, not the New York State Police. In all likelihood, the State Police would forward any backcountry complaints to the Forest Rangers anyways. Forest Rangers are essentially police officers with statewide jurisdiction who focus on law enforcement on state lands in NY. They will "care" and will respond to any emergency situation, or any situation in the backcountry that necessitates a law enforcement response.

The statewide dispatch # for DEC Law Enforcement is 1-877-457-5680. It is a useful number to copy down and keep on hand, just in case.
    Last edited by DSettahr; 01-13-2014 at 09:54 AM.

^^^^^

The more phone numbers you have, the better, but in practice, DEC is always going to draw the NYSP into a case that involves the Penal Law and the NYSP is always going to draw the DEC into a true backcountry situation. So regardless of who is contacted, multiple state agencies would most likely wind up involved in a case such as this one. Worked many, many cases over the years with both the DEC Police and the Rangers.

Tillson, New York Avatar: Dress for success!
    I don't disagree with you PC, but for an emergency, I would call the Rangers first.
    Tom Rankin
    Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Rankin View Post
    I don't disagree with you PC, but for an emergency, I would call the Rangers first.
    I agree because the rangers will have greater familiarity with the back country making them more able to respond quickly. You could spend 1/2 your phone battery just trying to explain your location
    "I've been kicked by the wind, robbed by the sleet, had my head snowed in, and I'm still on my feet, and I'm still,...willin"

Whoever needed to be notified was in October, at the time of the beginning of the present thread!