Map And Compass Courses

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a map/compass/GPS course in the Worcester,MA or Providence,RI area (or if not in the North Conway area? I searched the forum and found some older threads, with the AMC courses for example, but nothing recent (at least in the links I came up with).

I found the AMC classes at Harvard Cabin that just finished this weekend but I really can't take a full two day class, especially out of town. Aren't there shorter versions out there? I have basic familiarity with compass, map reading, GPS, etc so I'm not looking for a newbie class and I'm willing to pay a reasonable fee for the class (The AMC course is $149 which I assume has a lot to do with the lodging and meals). I just can't commit to such lengthy classes like the ones I've come across and don't need meals or lodging. A single day in my area would be best. (I should also point out I'm not trying to get certified or anything like that. Just looking for the skills.)

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

There are several orienteering clubs around. Some of them have courses set up on various patches of conservation land, and most have regular meetings, courses, and competitions. I've found maps of courses in my area that are open to the public, so it might be worth checking out. If you know the basics already, a few hours here and there in small woods should get you the practice you need, and their competitions seem to generally have something tailored to beginners. I've thought it would be fun to do sometime, but it never made it very high on my list...

This should get you started:
http://www.us.orienteering.org/clubs/all

If you end up not finding anything, keep an eye on the AMC CT Chapter events page, as we'll be adding a Backcountry Navigation workshop for sometime in the spring, probably early/mid-April(ish). It will be a one-day workshop, likely somewhere in the central part of the state, to review concepts, learn techniques and practice skills, and will be lower cost, due to short duration and no meals/lodging.

Thanks guys. That REI class would have been perfect. Wish I had thought to post this a few weeks ago.

I was on West Bond one day with my map and compass out scouting for a decent bushwhack down to FBT. A couple of hikers approached and asked if they could use my map for a second. Being a wise-guy, I asked if they needed the compass as well. They replied: "Compass? Why would anyone need a compass out here?"

I should've gotten their names as I suspect to read about them in the Daily Ledger soon.

I'm glad you're taking the course - I use those two tools quite often, and find them to be essential (like one of the 10 essentials, go figure). The AMC thing is more expensive due to lodging and meals, but I enjoy their retreats. You wouldn't just get map and compass with the AMC - you'd also get some backcountry first aid training. The AMC uses every opportunity to promote responsibility on the trails... so their "subject matter" classes include alot more than what they advertise. I did the Advanced Winter Wilderness workshop, and found it to be extremely informative (that was the local NH chapter - I can't really comment on the Worcester AMC, a.k.a. "The Potluckers")

A hint, if you dont have a good compass pick up one with adjustable declination. Sure its handy to know how to do without but they are a lot handier in the field. Easy to get it backwards!

Have a compass with magnetic declination (Silva) and I think I remember how to adjust for it but that's one of many topics I wouldn't remind a refresher on. I also have a GPS now and would like to understand how to correlate the two. I wound up booking a 6 hr REI class in November that is somewhat close to me ($60 member/$80 non-member). Was also advised they do private classes which I sent an email inquiring about. I think a basic Winter Workshop class might be next on the list depending on how my early attempts go this winter. I did several winter-like hikes last year and two true winter summits last year but I need to do a lot more and do more above treeline work.

Incidentally if there is anyone out there interested here is the link I was sent for their November classes (in Medford,MA I believe): http://www.rei.com/class/49378/market/140/12012013

I think a basic Winter Workshop class might be next on the list depending on how my early attempts go this winter. I did several winter-like hikes last year and two true winter summits last year but I need to do a lot more and do more above treeline work.

When you do the Winter Workshop, do the Advanced Winter Wilderness Travel by the AMC. It's only around $150 for the weekend, but well worth it. We did map and compass, a whole day of bushwhacking, practice with crampons and axes... all the stuff you'd ever need to do (and more) to comfortably climb the Whites in the winter. It sounds like your experience would make anything less than the "Advanced" class a bit of a snooze. I met many people who were hesitant of the class due to it having "Advanced" in the name, but its just right. The real hard stuff (self arresting, avalanche and cravasse training, i.e. anything you'd need to climb Huntington in winter) is all covered in Glacier Travel classes and ice climbing courses. And to shamelessly plug the NH AMC group, the leaders that they have for each of these workshops are top notch - I was beyond impressed.

Sorry for the thread drift. It takes more than a compass to keep a VFTT thread on course.