Carrigain

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.Dub

Reaction score
Will be in NH this weekend and planning to hike Carrigain/Vose on Saturday with a trail buddy. Just wanted to confirm that Sawyer River Road is still open. The map says "road closed in winter", but I don't want to get caught out if it actually gets closed on Sept. 15 or Oct. 1, for example. :rolleyes:

May also try to hit Hale on Friday, and am currently partner-less that day. If anybody is interested in tagging along, shoot me a PM. (I guess I'd be classed as a medium-to-fast hiker, FWIW.)

Not winter yet, barring unusual weather, the gate is normally left open until after hunting season or until we get significant snow.

Of course if the WMNF elects to lock and close all gates as part of the shutdown, then you are out of luck.

It’s just two extra miles in each direction, so figure on the hike taking about an hour longer.

Remember, if you’re planning to climb the mountain for ‘‘credit,’’ and the road is closed to vehicular traffic, you can’t ride a bicycle on it, either.