White Mountain National Forest Closure

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billski

Reaction score
White Mountain National Forest Closure

Release Date: Oct 1, 2013
Contact(s): Pemigewasset Ranger District, (603) 536-6100 (out of service)

Campton, NH- Due to the lapse in federal government funding, the U.S. Forest Service, as with other federal agencies, is closed with the exception of certain essential services.

The following actions have been taken today:

Search and rescue services will no longer be initiated for all idiots who hike in the mountains unprepared.

1,200 USFS Employees have been furloughed, along with 25 Civilian Conservation Corps workers. Additionally, more 320 black bear, 200 moose and 32 piping plover have been furloughed.

We sincerely apologize for the lack of entertainment in the car-camping area. Unfortunately, with the absence of bear in the camping area, tent trashing will not be possible.

It has been directed that leaf peeping season is officially closed. As of 6pm tonight, power to the maple, elm, oak and birch forests has been discontinued.

Trailhead parking fees, and camping fees can no longer be collected. Additionally, hunting in the WMNF can no longer be controlled. Hikers are cautioned to bring extra water or filtration systems, as local water sources, brooks and waterfalls have been discontinued.

No toilet service will be available within the Great Gulf Wilderness Area.

While we regret the discontinuance of these service, we are confident that the “live free or die” anthem in New Hampster will prevail. We sincerely regret this inconvenience.

For updates and alerts and to obtain the most current information possible, please visit the White Mountain National Forest website at: http://www.fs.usda.gov/whitemountain (not presently updated)

For questions or additional information, please contact the Pemigewasset Ranger District at 603-536-6100. Call wait times may be longer than usual. :rolleyes:

I do get the humor, honestly I do.

OTOH, those of us who work in the vicinity of the WMNF are really, really struggling with a ton of mis-information being bandied about by news media, mis-informed but attempting -to-be-helpful local workers, and the general tourism audience who arrive with un-informed and un-founded assumptions.

Billski posted this to Alpine Zone a few minutes after he posted here, and if you google "WMNF closure", it is #7 on that list of sites.

I'm not chastizing, really, because it did give me a chuckle. Just saying, that even though the intent is blameless and good-spirited, there can be unforeseen consequences that arise.

Breeze

I think anyone who would read Billski's post and think its fact probably also get's their daily news from The Onion.

Funny stuff, Billski. While I think its sad that people are suffering from being "furloughed" (which, by the way, begins with F-U), your post highlights the utter ridiculousness of this gov't shutdown.

"We couldn't pass a budget, so let's punish hikers and vacationers".

When I wrote the title, I considered putting some smiley on the title, but I thought most people would be more informed. So I took the Jon Stewart approach - start out as a serious lead in, then go trash it.

I've been reading a lot about the personal liabilities that volunteers and others would incur going into government areas, and take that seriously. However, I had hoped to insert some humor to the group by stimulating some tongue and cheek remarks about the things we B1#ch about often.