whitewall mountain 10/8/13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryan

Reaction score
date: 10/8/13

trails: zealand trail, bushwack

conditions: facilities at the trailhead are closed. zealand trail is in good shape. a few of the usual spots had some mud and standing water. water crossings not a problem. from the junction of zealand and ethan pond trails i started my bushwhack heading east to pick up the broad northern ridge of whitewall. the going was scrappy, rocky and a bit steep until hitting the wide crest when beautiful open birch glades became dominant. here i turned south and followed numerous moose paths through the glades. some impressive and thick hobblebush in places most of which had dropped its leaves making for easier going. approaching the summit the glades became more mixed woods with one swamp to go around. on the south side of the swamp i picked up a very clear herd path that led to a swampy area just below the summit. some nice obsructed ledge views around the summit proper. from there i headed southwest towards the mountains open ledges through a mix of scrappy woods with a fair amount of undergrowth. many moose paths and sign all around. i spent some time exploring the ledges which had stunning views into the pemi. heading back i used roughly the same route with the same good results.

equipment: nothing in particular.

comments: a cloudy start mid morning turned into a beautiful fall day in the mountains. the woods on the northern slopes of whitewall are a special placed indeed. some of the nicest birch glades i've been in to date. the views all around the summit and from the open ledges on the southwest end of the mountain were phenomenal. i had made an attempt on this mountain many years ago in via the slide out of zealand notch, but had been turned around near the top due to remaining spring ice and an excessive amount of loose rock. not sure how it took me so long to make a second attempt. this is one that will definitely be revisited. great to be out.

bryan

[email protected]