Mt Madison via... (see post for trails) - 10/13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NH Tramper

Reaction score
Date of Hike: October 13, 2013

Trails: Great Gulf, Madison Gulf, Parapet, and Osgood Trails

Trail Conditions: Crossings were easy all around, mud, where present, was minimal, and the trails were in great shape minus the slick leaves and some blowdowns. Now for some specifics: Great Gulf was clear and easy; Madison Gulf was also in great shape but there were a number of easy-over (and one easy-under) blowdowns; Parapet, at least the west end we traveled, was perfect, and; Osgood was great though we did encounter a few more easy-something blowdowns there.

Special Equipment Used: None. We carried poles for the crossings but they were cake.

Comments: Hiked this one with Steff and we had an excellent day. We had sun while a quick look toward the MW valley told us it was overcast at home as well as to the east. This gave us a distant undercast to look at and it was beautiful (it seems to cascade through Carter Notch and between North Carter and Moriah). Wow. Terrific views... autumn is in full swing and passing quickly! Ran into a fellow named Rob who knew of me and Chris Dailey from our reports here (always nice to learn that), also ran into friend of mine, Tammy, who had unfortunately banged her knee pretty good and planned to hobble down Valley Way with her companion. Also ran into a through-hiker, a 60-year-old fellow. He told me he drove to Baxter a few weeks ago and hiked Katahdin so as to not miss his chance. Great guy, hope he makes it.

Mike "Tramper" Cherim
North Conway NH