Carter Range/Wild River Loop via Moriah Brook and Wild River Tr

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
U

Unregistered

Friday 10/11/2013 to Sunday 10/13/2013

Trails: Moriah Brook, Carter-Moriah, Wildcat River Tr., Wild River Trail

Trail Conditions: 10/11 Moriah Brook Trail is in good condition, only tricky spot ~1/2 way up at the beaver ponds but were navigable - walk directly across the top of the dam at the 1st then stay south of the ponds and toward the brook at the second. Imp shelter and privy open. Saturday 10/12 From Imp: Carter-Moriah in good condition all the way to Carter Hut. Wildcat River Tr. to Wild River Tr. in good shape. Wild River Tr. to Perkins Campsite has numerous mud puddles (full boot drowners) but they are carefully navigable - really recommend poles to find the solid spots. Perkins campsite in good shape. Sunday 10/13 From Perkins: Wild River Tr. to Eagle Link, numerous more mud puddles; The remainder of the Wild River Tr. back to WR campground is in good shape except a few spots where the bank washed out (from Irene I believe). No blowdowns anywhere worth mentioning.

Equipment: Poles very usefull for mud puddle navigation

Comments: Leaves are down and dropping so pay attention on the Wildcat River and the southern part of the WR Trail (not blazed). Bring poles for the mud puddels on WR Tr. Best crossing of the Wild River at the former Spider Bridge seems to be on the big rocks right where the bridge used to cross - a bit downstream ~30yds from where the trail (traveling north) hits the river.

Parked at Wild River campground. Important Note!!!: Campgound closed but parking open, outhouse and fee box closed.

-Aaron
[email protected]
(I get a lot of info here and thought I'd share some back)