Personal Locator Beacons

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
My wife has been nagging me...er...strongly suggesting that I get some sort of locating device for when I hike. I generally hike alone and have been doing lengthier and more remote hikes and also begun winter hiking. I've had a few incidents already that I was able to walk out of the woods from (a broken ankle and a dislocated shoulder) but who knows when that "next problem" is beyond my ability to get out. I've seen reference to personal locator beacons on several sites and the prices seem to be declining. Seems like it might be a sensible item to carry in case I get myself injured and can't make my way out of the woods. Would give me wife peace of mind too.

Is anyone out there using one and/or have any experience with tripping the signal? i.e. did they find you? How long did it take? Does the signal work even in deep ravines, heavy forest, etc? Curious to get any feedback on features to look for, brands you recommend, etc. REI had some ACR Electronics models that I had read good reviews about awhile back. If you have some feedback or links to prior posts on VFTT that aren't too dated I'd appreciate the info. Thanks.

I bought one and carry it, it does have limited test mode but all it really does is check the batteries and it also checks the GPS functionality but the test only works limited times before the option is switched off so the unit retains 5 year battery life. The origin of these units were for open ocean therefore your questions about deep ravines and heavy forest are valid but I haven't seen any detailed testing. I expect the media would latch onto someone dying because of a PLB issue and haven't seen any of those stories while I have seen several stories of their success but it just may be the manufacturers media getting successful rescues publicized. Ultimately it is a tool but is fairly complex chain of technology between the bottom of your pack and the rescue party finding you. On the other hand, my option was carry nothing and hope that I can crawl out so I bit the bullet. I expect before the battery runs out in five years that it will be trumped with newer technology.

The link in the next post has a fairly on the review on the unit I bought.

http://www.equipped.org/McMurdoNewFastFind.htm

Do note the comment about low temperature use. I carry handwarmers and therefore for the weight and cost savings I don't consider it a major issue but you may.

Last edited:
I often carry one on solo treks, but have never used it.
A good website with detailed reviews and tests of PLB's, as well as beacons based on satphones (e.g., Spot), is here:
http://www.equipped.org/

Most PLBs are strictly emergency-only.

For the purpose of keeping the wife happy, I use a device that can send "I'm ok" messages in addition to the "help me please". The DeLorme InReach can send and receive (via satellite) SMS text messages in addition to the SOS function. For the pedants among us, the satphone-based devices (InReach, SPOT) are not technically PLBs since they don't use the Cospas-Sarsat network.

I've had mixed results with using this device under tree cover in the Northeast. I don't think a message has ever been missed, but sometimes it can take a realllllyyy long time to get through. I don't know if the "emergency" function is more reliable, because I've never used it.

But one neat thing about this device, since it is 2-way, is that you get a visual acknowledgement that the message was received.

For what its worth and I expect Doug can comment on the technical aspects, Spot based two way receivers are using the Globalstar satellite network which reportedly is a less robust system for rescue purposes. Spot basically calls up the S&R system and relays info. PLBs are optimized for S&R and contain a GPS transmitter and a homing beacon, its cuts out the middleman. The current PLB standard was optimized to get folks rescued, reportedly once activated S&R does not stop until the device is located. PLBs have to be registered to users and apparently there are fines for misuse.

Either one is much better than nothing but I guess its up to what the user wants for functionality.

I have a PLB. I tested function once. Never activated.

The deciding factors were the yearly fees associated with a SPOT and not wanting to establish an expectation that my wife would receive a daily "I'm OK" signal. The first gen SPOT was sketchy and if she didn't recieve a daily ok signal because the SPOT wasn't working, she would call in the cavalry.

If the primary purpose is to be rescued, then the PLB is the better solution. PLBs use the same rescue communication systems as recreational and commerical boats.

If the primary purpose is to communication with your spouse, I believe the newer SPOT systems have improved and may be the right device for you.

http://www.acrartex.com/products/b/outdoor/catalog/personal-locator-beacons/aqualink-view-plb

Last edited:
For what its worth and I expect Doug can comment on the technical aspects, Spot based two way receivers are using the Globalstar satellite network which reportedly is a less robust system for rescue purposes. Spot basically calls up the S&R system and relays info. PLBs are optimized for S&R and contain a GPS transmitter and a homing beacon, its cuts out the middleman. The current PLB standard was optimized to get folks rescued, reportedly once activated S&R does not stop until the device is located. PLBs have to be registered to users and apparently there are fines for misuse.

Either one is much better than nothing but I guess its up to what the user wants for functionality.
Both PLBs and SPOTs send messages up to satellites which are then relayed to ground stations. PLBs are a government-run system, SPOT is commercial. Some of the units have GPS so that one's coordinates can be sent, some do not. (GPS can result in a faster response and less searching.)

For more info and technical details on PLBs, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PLB.

For more info on SPOT see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPOT_Satellite_Messenger and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Globalstar

Doug

I have a PLB. I tested function once. Never activated.

The deciding factors were the yearly fees associated with a SPOT and not wanting to establish an expectation that my wife would receive a daily "I'm OK" signal. The first gen SPOT was sketchy and if she didn't recieve a daily ok signal because the SPOT wasn't working, she would call in the cavalry.

If the primary purpose is to be rescued, then the PLB is the better solution. PLBs use the same communication systems as recreational and commerical boats.

If the primary purpose is to communication with your spouse, I believe the newer SPOT systems have improved and may be the right for you.

http://www.acrartex.com/products/b/outdoor/catalog/personal-locator-beacons/aqualink-view-plb

Completely agree. The main purpose behind the WifeProtectionBeacon is to communicate with her often enough (I usually hit it 3 or 4 times during a hike) so that she *doesn't* call out the cavalry. I got real tired of the "what time will you be back? So I call NHF&G 5 minutes later, right?" rigamarole before every outing. I do expect that if I went 24 hours, she would probably call anyway (and it actually might be a good idea).

The subscription fees for SPOT and InReach are a definite negative, as is the expected battery life. "True" PLBs are free until you push the button, and the battery will supposedly last 5 years on the shelf.

One interesting feature of the InReach is that if Nervous Nelly wonders where the heck you are, they can push a button on a website, and the satellite pings the device and reports where it is. Don't think the wife has ever used this, I think the possibility that it exists is good enough.

There is another big difference between SPOT and PLBS (EPIRBs)...preventing the environment from compromising the functionality of the device. PLBs, of course, are superior. Improved housings, seals, materials such EPDM and positive connection to batteries are just a few. Furthermore, the PLBs are tested and certified to outside engineering standards.

While that sounds like it makes the case for PLBs, you cannot activate one if you are unconscious. At least SPOT can leave footprints before it fails.

Here is an interesting application using spot...a robot solar powered boat designed to go from Rhode Island to Spain autonomously...it died (maybe) and now the only thing that is working is the back up spot transmitter: http://gotransat.com/tracking/

Last edited:
Buried down in the Wikipedia article

SPOT does not use the 406 MHz signal nor the system of satellites. Instead, it depends on the GlobalStar satellite system. It has richer features (for instance, can send many non-emergency signals) – but it does not work in as many places as 406 MHz PLBs – for instance under dense forest canopy or steep canyons.[36]

I have no interest in sending messages but do hike in dense canopy and occasional steep terrain so a PLB appears to be the right choice for my use

One of the features of the SPOT is that it can be set to send a msg at specific intervals. In turn, each of these msgs will be displayed as part of track on a map specific to that unit and viewable online to others. That way, friends and family can view an individual's progress, as it also displays the time at each point. If the hiker/climber leaves an outline of when he/she expects to be at specific points, then a substantial deviation from that outline would help family/friends determine whether that person might be in trouble, regardless of whether they'd activated the "ET phone home" button.

SPOT does not use the 406 MHz signal nor the system of satellites. Instead, it depends on the GlobalStar satellite system. It has richer features (for instance, can send many non-emergency signals) – but it does not work in as many places as 406 MHz PLBs – for instance under dense forest canopy or steep canyons.[36]

I have no interest in sending messages but do hike in dense canopy and occasional steep terrain so a PLB appears to be the right choice for my use

..as long as you are conscious to activate it or you have not become separated from your pack you are fine. The marine units activate automatically on contact with salt-water. SPOT, with periodic message transmission, would give rescuers a much more specific place to look if you met with sudden calamity. I wish there was more information about the canopy and canyons. But Globalstar sats move around and are not in one fixed place so there is chance the messages will be received, although delayed.

PLBs are a government-run system, SPOT is commercial. Some of the units have GPS so that one's coordinates can be sent, some do not. (GPS can result in a faster response and less searching.)

Ok Somebody has to ask it. Does the PLB system shut down when there is a gov't shutdown?

Probably not, but whatever applied to a PLB would apply to Spot as all Spot does is call up the Coast Guard (in the US) and reports that they received a rescue request.

A SPOT unit is required equipment on the Yukon River Races (the 360, the 440, and the 1000 milers). In the four races I have participated in, they were not only required, but invaluable for letting my pit crew, as well as family and friends at home know where I was with coordinates broadcast out every 10 minutes. Folks at home said they were quickly addicted to checking our SPOT progress every few minutes, which along with the official race web site shows all the racer's locations on Google Earth.

First required for the first ever Yukon 1000-mile race in 2009, teams who paid attention to the instructions from race officials had no problem with SPOT operation. But teams who did not keep the unit mounted horizontal, and stashed them in a pack or pocket, or had them hanging vertically from a lanyard, had very intermittent success resulting in total time penalties of as much as 9 hours. I had mine mounted on the bow deck of the canoe, and except for a very few missed transmissions when we were close to the southern side in east/west canyons, our track was virtually continuous with "I am OK" and automatic location points sent out every 10 minutes. Even north of the Arctic Circle our location messages were received. We had two SPOT units in 2011 and three in 2013, a first generation and two second generation units. All performed equally well and as advertised.

Since you cannot compose a message without internet access, our pre-arranged code for pressing the "help" button was that we were alive and well, but are limping along and could not continue the race. Our pit crew should meet us at the next possible access point (which could be as much as 300 miles away downriver). Pressing the "SOS" button would alert SAR to our current location - send help ASAP. We never had to test either of those functions.

I know several folks who use SPOT while hiking to let family know they are well. While messages sent under heavy tree canopy or in ravines may temporarily not make it out, a pre-arranged understanding should take care of that.

Last edited:
I have been using the Spot Connect for about four months. See www.findmespot.com for more information about this model and others they sell. It requires a smartphone as a user interface connected by Bluetooth. Subscription is $100 per year. My biggest complaint so far is the difficulty of getting the Bluetooth and device initially connected. The phone says it is connected, but the Spot app says it isn't. Occasionally, messages have not gone through (see below).

Here is basically how it works: the phone tells the device to get GPS coordinates with the usual issues of good exposure to the sky, etc. I find it works best on my pack shoulder strap and not moving till the light blinks green that the GPS data has been sent to the phone. Then the phone tells the device to send a message to the Globalsat network. The message can be any one of 14 prewritten messages (done on their website) or type-and-send at $50 extra yearly fee. The ground station sends the message to an internet server which sends it by text or email to the chosen list of recipients. The message contains the GPS coordinates, time, and your written message. To help assure that the message is received by the satellite, Spot sends it three times: initially, six minutes later, and after another ten minutes. I have had a few messages which have not been successfully received, in spite of the triplicate send. The server forwards only the first successful of the three messages and discards the others. I don't think it has ever failed when the pack was on a summit and immobile for about 3 minutes. But if I am active and move on, the GPS fix and message success depends on satellite coverage.

HERE is a link to my current map page (points are deleted after about a week). Click on the "+" to see the text of the message. I have an escalation of prewritten messages to choose from--OK, slower than normal, injured but able to walk out, injured moving very slowly, injured call for help, etc. A type-and-send message can be sent any time for a fee (after one uses the five free ones).

Overall, I think it is a good device which a lot of functionality beyond the one-use PLB in a life-threatening emergency. Its SOS message is sent to a private provider which relays the message to the relevant local SAR authority. The SOS continues to be sent, I think every five minutes, till the battery runs out or the sending is stopped. That is intended to overcome poor satellite reception if it occurred at a particular location.

PLBs also contain a radio beacon to help rescuers home in on your location. And your position can be determined even if the GPS does not work using the Doppler shift of the signal as received at the satellite.

Same here.

If you want the highest probability of rescue, get a PLB.
If you want a tracker and are willing to accept a lower probability of rescue, get a SPOT.

Doug

Last edited:
It requires a smartphone as a user interface connected by Bluetooth.
If it requires the smartphone for use in the field, then it is an unnecessarily unreliable design--if you lose your phone, you also lose your beacon.

If the phone is only required for initial setup, then the reliability would not be compromised.

Doug

The developers shared your concern. The SOS function can be activated from the device from a covered button, without the smartphone.