Zealand to LIncoln Woods Trail?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Satterlee

Team Member
Reaction score
This has been a hike I have wanted to do for many years; I was sidetracked by a few years of knee problems and now with the USFS bridge removal, I was wondering, how feasible is it to hike from Zealand Rd to the Wilderness Trail parking lot?

I am especially concerned about stream crossings.

Thanks,

If you are planning on following the valleys, then it is possible. Thoreau Falls Trail crosses the East Branch on a bridge, just before The Wilderness Trail (although there is a stream crossing at the falls, which is a step over in low water). Shoal Pond Trail crosses the East Branch on stepping stones, which are only usable at low water, although it is not a deep ford if necessary. Both of these routes will bring you to the parking lot on the East Side Trail.
If you are planning on hiking across the ridge, the route is unaffected by the bridge removal (except for trail names).

The stream crossing at Thoreau Falls can be avoided by continuing on the Ethan Pond trail to the bridge and bushwhacking west along the south side of the North Fork.

I went the opposite way a few years ago. went wilderness trail 8.9 miles. banged a left on shoal pond trail(i heard thoreau falls trail was annoying or hard to follow, for whatever reason). came out on ethan pond trail,went left, took that to zealand trail, and down to zealand road. crossing the east branch at the end of the wilderness trail was not deep at all. there were a few crossings on the shoal pond trail but totally doable. i think it was 18 miles. i jogged it in 4 hours 14 minutes but that was when I was skinnier. this was thru the valleys, i spose most people would take a couple more or so hours, just regular hiking. i wanted to see the headwaters of the merrimac river. gorgeous territory. it was kind of a looksee for a possible cross country ski trip in the winter.

Zealand to Lincoln Woods is a classic BC ski route, too...

(i heard thoreau falls trail was annoying or hard to follow, for whatever reason).
Becca and I skied Lincoln Woods to Thoreau Falls Tr and return via Shoal Pond Tr 2.5 years ago. We found the routefinding to be harder on the SPT than on the TFT. You are likely to need trail/route finding skills on both as they are in the Pemi Wilderness and receive limited maintenance. (A some points on the SPT, following the trail consisted of looking for the youngest spruce trees and diving in...)

There have been some reports of maintenance on the SPT since then.

Trip report: http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?39621-Pemi-Ski-Loop-in-Less-than-30-Hours-)

Doug

I've skied Zealand to Lincoln Woods the past two winters. Both times, I loose the trail just south of the Thoreau Falls crossing, and again where Irene washed out a section of trail. But I've got the track in my GPS now.