Moosilauke and Tecumseh Double Hit & Run, 10/19/2013

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
October 19, 2013: Moosilauke & Tecumseh – Double Hit & Run

Trails:
Moosilauke: Beaver Brook Trail
Tecumseh: Mt. Tecumseh Trail

Summits: Moosilauke, Tecumseh

Hikers: Solo

Moosilauke

I arrived to the Beaver Brook Trailhead at Kinsman Notch generally ready to go. All I needed to do was put on my boots, grab my pack, and go. As I was reaching into the back seat area to retrieve my pack I twisted something in my back and suddenly there was extreme pain and I fell forward into the back seat area face first. I managed to get myself back out and standing but the pain was pretty interesting. Immediately I had my doubts about getting much from the day. I took some pain meds and carefully got my things together and took off.

Every third or fourth step was painful. I was tensed up trying to avoid any twisting movement and that probably made things worse than if I just relaxed, and went home. I kept focused on the hike to at least give it a good try. I reached the tree that formerly had a register and now there are only two trails signs mounted. There had been no improvement but the trail is still relatively mild at that point and I decided to continue. The climbing starts just after that tree.

I made my way to the base of the cascades and stopped for a couple pictures. At that point I nearly decided to bail. The pain was bad but the lack of enjoying what I was doing was even tougher. I had a beautiful day to enjoy and that wasn’t happening. I can be a little stubborn at times and this was one of those times. I was determined to at least make a good attempt at the climb to the shelter spur.

The routine was a simple one; climb roughly fifty yards and stop, and then go again, and again, and again. Up toward the shelter spur the fifty yards had increased to a point where I was stopping to enjoy the scenery, not to let my back relax and calm down. By the time I passed the shelter spur there was still tightness in my back but the pain was under control. I made the remaining climb to the Asquam Ridge Trail junction with virtually no stops along the way. That was fun. Even though it wasn’t pretty I managed to reach the trail junction roughly five minutes over book time (I honestly thought it would be more like double book time). I was encouraged by this.

Seemingly back in the game, I didn’t stop for the break that was planned but kept moving. On a good day I’m not a fast hiker, book time is about it for me. But if I can drop into a comfortable pace that I can hold without pushing my heart rate up past my limit the hike goes well. I was able to do that for most of the way from Asquam Ridge Trail to Benton Trail junction. Along the way through this portion of the hike there are a number of usually very muddy areas but these were generally dry. There is also a section of very rough rocky places where I expected my back to do a little protesting but that didn’t happen either. I reached the Benton Trail junction, stopped for a granola bar, and decided the day was looking pretty good.

After the break I had a short .2 miles to the treeline and another .2 miles to the summit. As I reached the treeline I added a layer to help with the steady breeze coming from the west. The summit was a very crowded place. I stayed around long enough for a few pictures and headed back down.

The descent to the trailhead went without any surprises at all. And, my back was quiet all of the way down, even through the steep descent along the cascades. I was able to finish much earlier than expected. Back at the trailhead I tossed my things into the truck, had a quick snack, and took off for Waterville Valley and Tecumseh. I was feeling pretty good and hoped things wouldn’t stiffen up on the short drive.

Tecumseh

Tripoli Road is very entertaining. The pavement is so bad that I couldn’t get on to dirt road for better driving conditions fast enough. The pothole patrol has some work to do on this thing. And. It looks like there are a couple sections of new pavement on order for the section between Thornton Gap and Livermore.

As I drove Tripoli Road past the west trailhead for Mt. Tecumseh Trail, I decided hiking from the ski area was the best plan. After a quick stop at Livermore I drove to the east trailhead at the Waterville Valley Ski Area and was quickly hiking. Aside from a vehicle with a couple dog-walkers, the place was empty. I’m sure the place was crowded earlier but it was now late afternoon and the Red Sox were playing game #6 in the ALCS soon. It was early enough for me to get the hike in and make it home in time for the game as long as I didn’t waste time along the way.

At this point it’s a routine hike to the summit with only one decision along the way; left or right at the trail split to the summit. The trail is generally clear and dry for the full distance. There’s lots of fresh color on the ground down low in the hardwoods but that slowly tapers with elevation and as the trail leads into the conifers. Just as I have done on recent hikes, I settled into a slow and steady pace for the climb to the height of land and made really good time as a result. Once on the ridge I just kept moving to the trail split, went left as usual, and was soon on the final climb to the summit cairn.

I hung around the summit long enough to have some water and a granola bar and was soon on my way back down to the truck. It was another uneventful, and for me quick up and down of Tecumseh. From the viewpoint spur that leads to the ski trail to the trailhead my thoughts were focused on Red Sox and getting home for the game. At the truck I tossed my things into the back, grabbed a couple cold drinks for the road, and headed south.

The day had a really rough start but I recovered and in the end it was a pretty nice day.

I’ve posted some pictures from the day.

BIGEarl's Pictures

Straight to the slideshow

:cool:

Nice slide show, Big Earl ! Interesting climbing aids-never saw anything like that.
Looking forward to making that climb.

Nice slide show, Big Earl ! Interesting climbing aids-never saw anything like that.
Looking forward to making that climb.

Thanks Clay,

Blocks attached to the ledge are used on a number of trails that I’m aware of, and probably others that I’ve not hiked. Fishin’ Jimmy has them below Kinsman Junction. I believe there are a few of these on Wildcat Ridge Trail between Pinkham Notch and Wildcat “E”.

There are additional climbing aids that are more difficult to locate in the pictures. Re-Bar handholds anchored to the ledge are found in several locations on the climb along the cascades on Beaver Brook Trail.

:cool: