Mittersill Trail, Mittersill Peak 10/26/2013

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCarter

Reaction score
Trail Conditions: Trail clear and dry at lower elevations, minor snow higher up. One easily avoided blowdown just above the top of the old lift. Since I got a late start, I decided turn around at Mittersill rather than proceed to Cannon.

Special Equipment: none needed.

Comments:

Trail is not blazed at the lower end, and it appears that the "Mittersill Trail" sign near the ski lift at Lot 1 has been removed for the season. Proceed uphill to the right of the ski lift. The trail crosses to the left of the lift between the 2nd and 3rd towers. No blaze is visible at this point. Follow the ski trail at an angle uphill through opening in the trees. Cross an open area and continue angling uphill. Blazing starts in this section, before meeting a service road. Trail turns right on the service road. From here up, trail is blazed primarily on rocks, and some on trees. The service road/trail crosses under the lift several times, on switchbacks, until it reaches the top of the "old" lift (red-painted remnants in the woods). The blazed road/trail then loops away from the lift in a large switchback that eventually ends at the top of the new lift. Above the lift, the trail follows the ski trail to the summit of Mittersill.

Views: Plenty of views north & west while ascending. Cannon was socked in by the time I reached Mittersill.

People: Met Becca descending shortly after I started up. Saw one other couple going up shortly after I left the peak.

Jeff Carter