Valley Way - 11/4

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NH Tramper

Reaction score
Date of Hike: November 4, 2013

Trail Conditions: No summits, just a trail work trip. Lots of leaves on the trail down low making for slick footing. There was also a dusting of snow, becoming more pronounced as I gained elevation. The one crossing, if it qualifies, was easy. There was no ice on the rocks, but looking at some of the other waterways in the area, ice on rocks is something hikers should start being on the lookout for (and prepared for with traction and poles). Further up the trail, just after the Scar junction for the most part, I ran into more ice on the trail. Not exactly floes, not yet, but this is just the beginning; bring on the layers of ice. As I got closer to the hut the ice was reduced so the worst bit was a mile or so in the middle. The dusting was very pronounced, but not on the range I was on, not on the Wildcats either. The Carters, however, were really well dusted making me suspect a very local event. No blowdowns at all! Not any more.

Special Equipment Used: I left my poles at home, but didn't need them anyway. Brought traction but it wasn't needed. Brought an axe to clear the blowdowns.

Comments: Hiked this one with Steff's dog, Sparky (a tiny Jack Russel Terrier), and that's it. We made great time. Would've bagged the summit (wanted to since it was a great day), but Sparky was cold so I let her off the hook. Cleared two blowdowns on my trail segment (Scar to Gulfside), one major, plus a few more on the lower half including a natural 'X' of deadfall blocking Randolph Path. Everything is now good to go. All of the reported blockages from my recent Adams hike have been dealt with.

Mike "Tramper" Cherim
North Conway NH

Last edited: