Moosilauke & The Osceolas - Double Hit & Run, 11/2/2013

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
November 2, 2013: Moosilauke & The Osceolas – Double Hit & Run

Trails: Moosilauke = Beaver Brook Trail, Osceolas = Greeley Pond Trail, Mt. Osceola Trail

Summits: Moosilauke, Osceola East Peak, Osceola

Hikers: Trail Trotter (Sue) and me

I’m always looking for a way to keep the cost-per-peak down. Getting in a morning hike along with an afternoon hike is a good approach. We have previously combined Moosilauke with a number of other targets but this is the first time we hiked it with The Osceolas. I did the math and everything appeared doable. The day planned out for an early start, a late finish, and lots of good hiking in between.

Moosilauke

We decided to hike Moosilauke from Kinsman Notch via Beaver Brook Trail. This is a fun trail to the summit especially the section that climbs along the side of the cascades. We arrived a little earlier than planned, quickly grabbed our things and took off.

With the shorter days upon us, hiking doesn’t decrease, headlight use increases. My first headlight had dead batteries so I pulled out a back-up. Maybe my headlight burns through batteries faster than expected, maybe the batteries I am using aren’t as good as others, maybe I’m just not keeping track of use very well. Whichever is the case, I need to check a little closer during final preparation.

I know it’s an illusion but hiking in darkness seems faster. We arrived to the tree with the trails signs and warnings at the bottom of the climb much quicker than expected. Then, we climbed to the base of first large cascade very quickly. More than once I thought to myself we were really cruising through the hike. In fact, we were operating at the usual pace; it just seemed faster for some reason. Everything was generally wet and we needed to be a little more careful on the climb because of it. There are places along the cascades where a slip will definitely leave a mark.

Soon we were in the vicinity of the Beaver Brook Shelter and faced with a new large blowdown blocking the trail. All that was necessary was a short off-trail to get around the obstacle and we continued the climb. We barely paused as we passed the Beaver Brook Shelter spur and continued working our way to the ridge. Slowly as we climbed daylight arrived and we were able to retire the headlights. Soon we were at the junction with Asquam Ridge Trail and the hike became much easier. We made our way across to the trail junction with Benton Trail. Along the way we both noticed it was cool enough and breezy enough to need an added layer above the treeline (generally in-line with the NWS point forecast for Moosilauke and the NWS White Mountains Summit Forecast). The cloud cover was blowing through at a pretty good speed. As we walked past the open places it was possible to see in the direction of the summit but the summit was obscured in clouds. We were hoping for a clear section to pass through while we were there.

We reached the trail junction, stopped to pull out an extra layer and some gloves, and were soon on the final climb to the treeline and then the summit. Yeah, there was a pretty good breeze from the west as predicted and the temperature was low. Visibility was limited to roughly two cairns. In other words, we were pretty close to the actual summit before being able to see the summit signpost. We made our way to the summit, got the usual summit pictures and started our exit hike.

Once we passed through the junction with Benton Trail we were out of the wind and gradually adjusted back to our original hiking costumes. Somewhere midway between Benton Trail and Asquam Ridge Trail we met the first other hiker for the day. We would meet several more and a scout troop before reaching the trailhead.

We passed Asquam Ridge Trail, and then the warning sign above the steep section along the cascades, and finally we were focused on the steep descent and wet footing all of the way down. We were careful, we were slow, and we arrived to the bottom of the cascades without a single slip. From there it’s a short walk to the trailhead where we wasted no time to pack our things in the truck, grab some refreshments, and take off for Greeley Ponds Trailhead on The Kanc and our second half of the day.

The Osceolas

We arrived to Greeley Ponds Trailhead to find the place full. There was enough room for the truck along the side of the entryway. As we were getting ready a police vehicle pulled in. The officer rolled the window down and cautioned us to make sure there was nothing of value that was visible; there have been a lot of break-in problems at the trailhead. We thanked him for taking the time to stop.

In a couple minutes we were hiking. The drive from Kinsman Notch to Greeley Ponds trailhead was long enough for things to cool down and stiffen up but the early hike to Mount Osceola Trail is on mild terrain and provides an easy second warm-up for the day. Along the way we came upon an area where the trail is completely blocked by blowdowns. There is one very large tree and I believe a couple smaller ones that it took out as it fell. Clearing the mess will take some work. We did another off-trail to get around the blowdowns and continued.

It was generally a non-stop walk to the trails junction; we briefly stopped before making the turn and starting our climb to the ridge. As we found on Beaver Brook Trail, there was a lot of running water and mud to get past. We watched our foot placement and carefully made our way through the climb. Soon we were in the really steep section along the slide and heading to the ridge; more wet loose rocks and poor footing. I guess that’s why we like it.

We generally maintained a steady but slow pace for the climb. Along the way there are several distinct steep pitches to climb and by the time we reached the crossing of East Osceola Slide we were ready for it. To this point we were climbing a fairly steep section of trail, but above the slide is where the real steep section is located. It’s short but very steep all the way to the ridge. I really feel the trail from the slide to the ridge is the steepest part of the climb. The trail is rough on this final section with plenty of good foot placements. We made our way up and finally on to the ridge.

Before continuing on to East Osceola we both went right and enjoyed the views to the target peaks, Franconia Ridge, and The Kinsmans. After a couple quick pictures we were on our way across the ridge to our target peaks.

First in line was East Osceola. It’s a relatively short walk to East Osceola from the top of the steeps. Very soon we found ourselves at the summit cairn getting the usual pictures before continuing on to Osceola main peak. One of the best parts of the hike is just ahead. Roughly half-way between the peaks is The Chimney – we always climb The Chimney. More than once we’ve climbed it on snowshoes (MSR makes a tough product!). We descended from East Osceola to the col between the peaks and were soon at The Chimney and starting the climb.

From the top of The Chimney to Osceola is roughly a half mile of relatively easy hiking. There are a couple steep pitches but they’re short ones. Before long we were on the final ascent to Osceola. We hit the summit clearing, got a few of the usual pictures, enjoyed the place for a short time and headed back out the way we hiked in.

Our exit hike was mostly uneventful. We worked our way back to East Osceola using the bypass to avoid The Chimney. Soon we were starting down the steeps. The wet conditions and loose footing took me out a couple times. In one case I lost my footing on a rocky section, and in another it was wet leaves and slippery mud that did it. There was no real harm done and the bruises should be just a memory by the next time out.

Soon after the second fall we stopped to pull out headlights. We finished the final hour under the lights. Soon we were passing the junction with Greeley Ponds Trail and a short time later we reached the trailhead. There we came upon a fellow looking for a pair of Black Labs that had run off. I hope he found them.

Overall, it was a pretty good day. The predictions for rain in the afternoon never came through and we enjoyed a fairly dry day. After a quick change at Lincoln Woods we were on our way south.

Pictures will follow.

:cool:

Not a lot of sun but no rain is a sure plus. :) I hope they find the two Black Labs as well :(