Definitely Not New England: Kalalau Trail, Kauai, Hawaii, 11.2-3.13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Summerset

Reaction score
Lured by the promise of a beach only accessible by hiking, my husband and I decided to hike the Kalalau Trail as part of our trip to the island of Kauai in Hawaii. The Kalalau Trail is located on the rugged Na Pali coast, along which there are no roads of any kind. The trail winds 11 miles up and down through tropical vegetation, arid spots, over streams, around the edge of cliffs, through ancient Hawaiian ruins and finally down to Kalalau Beach. Here are a few photos, but the full trip report with more photos, is on the blog.

Some typical scenery, certainly not like the hike I did earlier in the week on snow to Field:
img_0109-copy.jpg

Yes, the trail really does go through here, it switch backs down and ends up on the left.
img_0060-copy.jpg

View down to the Kalalau Valley and Beach from the last hill:
img_0085-copy.jpg

Sunset from Kalalau Beach:
img_0076-copy.jpg

I was wondering where you've been. Nice trip report here and on the blog. Nothing like Hawaii for a little winter warm-up.

Thanks, Greg YEAH! Except for the vacation, I've been around, still hiking weekly. I can't stay out of the mountains for too long. Training for a half marathon in Dec. also takes up some of my time now. Can't wait for the official winter season to start.

Loved the pics, you captured it well. Did the hike in August 2001. All our pics are locked in our old laptop, gotta get them transferred one of these days.