North Kinsman (Lonesome Lake/ fishin' Jimmy/ Kinsman Ridge trails)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grandaddy

Reaction score
11-09-13

Weather: base 25F, mostly cloudy, gusty winds diminishing to calm conditions at summit. I got an early start, leaving at 6:30 am. Bare booted, though could have used traction up high.

Trail conditions: thin layer of graupel all the way to the summit.

On accent: Lonesome Lake trail was good all the way. Fishin' Jimmy had quite a few ice flows on the bottom, increasing higher up on the trail. Some Ledges were difficult due to ice. The stairs on the upper sections were covered by ice flows. Kinsman Ridge was quite icy with 2 or 3 difficult sections.

Summit: georgeous. Great views with only Franconia Ridge was in the clouds. I did not spend much time here because I figured it would take a long time to get down.

On way back: Kinsman ridge was much easier going down. Fishin' Jimmy was rough. The up and downs wore me out with a lot of attention to ice required. On Lonesome Lake Trail, what was crunchy graupel on the way up, was compressed to slippery packed ice after a day of foot traffic.

Overall: Great day, met a lot of nice folks on the trails.

Last edited: